The Best American Short Stories 2014 by…

The Best American Short Stories 2014

by Jennifer Egan (Editor), Heidi Pitlor (Editor)

Other authors: Charles Baxter (Contributor), Ann Beattie (Contributor), T.C. Boyle (Contributor), Peter Cameron (Contributor), Nicole Cullen (Contributor)15 more, Craig Davidson (Contributor), Joshua Ferris (Contributor), Neil Freudenberger (Contributor), David Gates (Contributor), Lauren Groff (Contributor), Ruth Prawer Jhabvala (Contributor), O.A. Lindsey (Contributor), Will Mackin (Contributor), Brendan Matthews (Contributor), Molly McNett (Contributor), Benjamin Nugent (Contributor), Stephen O'Connor (Contributor), Joyce Carol Oates (Contributor), Karen Russell (Contributor), Laura van den Berg (Contributor)

Series: Best American (2014), The Best American Short Stories (2014)

199688,168 (3.8)5

Bright spots:
- At the Round Earth's Imagined Corners by Lauren Groff
- A Hand Reached Down to Guide Me by David Gates
- Mastiff by Joyce Carol Oates
- Long Tom Lookout by Nicole Cullen ( )
  dcmr | Jul 4, 2017 |
great book ( )
  mahallett | Jun 29, 2017 |
Sifting through the hundreds, maybe thousands, of short stories published in North America in any one year must be an arduous but rewarding task. Jennifer Egan’s selection here tends towards fairly traditional short stories but with enough variation that the collection still has room to surprise. A quarter of the stories in the short list come from The New Yorker, a much higher representation than in the long list, so Egan’s preferences do show through. However, since at least some of those stories are the best ones in this collection, nothing turns on it.

For me the stories that stood out were Joyce Carol Oates’ “Mastiff”, O. A. Lindsey’s “Evie M.”, Joshua Ferris’ “The Breeze”, and Ann Beattie’s “The Indian Uprising”. Is it surprising that Oates and Beattie can still astound? Probably not since they are clearly masters of their craft. I was surprised by the Joshua Ferris because I’d recently been disappointed by one of his novels. Here he shows that he deserves his reputation despite my reservations. And Lindsey’s story is perhaps the most raw and harrowing of the bunch. Altogether a worthy collection that continues to remind us of the enduring power of the short story form. ( )
  RandyMetcalfe | Oct 23, 2015 |
Usually there's at least a few stories where I think, "Gosh, I wish I'd written that," but this is - to me - a collection of exceptionally sad stories (in tone, not in quality), and while they're all excellent short stories, none of them held that bit of magic for me. They're mostly not unpleasant to read, but a bit more like reading your vegetables, if you follow, than past editions have been for me. ( )
  upstairsgirl | May 15, 2015 |
Literary short stories usually leave me cold, but I really liked the 2014 Best American Short Stories - in part because most of the stories included real plots in which interesting things happened, and compelling characters. My favorites include Charles Baxter, "Charity", about a good man fallen into trouble; Nicole Cullen, "Long Tom Lookout", about a woman and her autistic step-son spending the summer at a fire tower; Craig Davidson, "Medium Tough", narrated by a fascinating half-musclebound, half-withered surgeon; and David Gates, "A Hand Reached Down to Guide Me", in which the kind but passive narrator's life is shaped by an insufferable mentor and a girlfriend. By a long shot, my favorite was Joshua Ferris, "the Breeze", imagining all the ways, for better or worse, a gorgeous spring night could play out for a young couple in New York. ( )
  bezoar44 | Jan 27, 2015 |

O'Connor, StephenContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Oates, Joyce CarolContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Russell, KarenContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
van den Berg, LauraContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

“The literary ‘Oscars’ features twenty outstanding examples of the best of the best in American short stories.” — Shelf Awareness for Readers

The Best American Short Stories 2014 will be selected by national best-selling author Jennifer Egan, who won the 2011 Pulitzer Prize and the National Book Critics Circle Award for fiction for A Visit from the Goon Squad, heralded by Time magazine as “a new classic of American fiction.” Egan “possesses a satirist’s eye and a romance novelist’s heart” (New York Times Book Review).

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:59 -0400)

Presents twenty of the best works of short fiction of the past year from a variety of acclaimed sources.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,793,655 books! | Top bar: Always visible