Dear Malala, We Stand with You by Rosemary…

Dear Malala, We Stand with You

by Rosemary McCarney

I find the story of Malala super inspiring. And the fact that some girls do not have the privileges that I do makes my skin boil. It's a reminder that we shouldn't take our blessings for granted. There are some still fighting to stand up, make a difference, and bring change.
  Gabrielle_Stoller | Oct 14, 2016 |
this book tells of how the teen activist Malala Yousafzai has inspired other children all over the world to stand up for their own rights. This book can be used in the classroom to invoke classroom discusses of education, poverty, female rights, or similar subjects. ( )
  TiffanyA | Apr 21, 2016 |
Dear Malala is a beautiful book. The photographs show young girls from around the world. Some are smiling at the camera; some are shown learning in school. The most evocative photos are those that depict the roadblocks to learning; for example, a shockingly young girl dressed as a bride, a girl surrounded by antagonistic boys, and the shadowy figures of one person winding up to punch an other are incredibly moving.

At the end of the book, the author lets Malala do the talking. An excerpt of her UN speech is printed without visuals. The speech is well-written and inspiring, but the first part of the book is so visually stunning that the transition to three pages of text seems like a missed opportunity.

With many books about an issue, the author educates the readers without proposing action. This book provides a list of organizations to support at the end of the book. ( )
  ewalker1 | Jan 18, 2016 |
An inspiring letter of tribute to Malala Yousafzai, the Pakistani teenager famous for her determined advocacy for girls' education, illustrated with photos of her and other young people from around the world. Proceeds benefit the I Am a Girl Fund, sponsored by Plan International, an international nonprofit devoted to children's rights and welfare. ( )
  Sullywriter | May 22, 2015 |
Malala always stood by what she believed in. After being shot by a Taliban and surviving, she used her voice to reach other girls to speak up for their right to have an education. ( )
  kwolinski | Dec 2, 2014 |

An inspiring letter to Malala Yousafzai, winner of the 2014 Nobel Peace Prize, that is both a show of support and a call to action for girls around the world.

Malala became the youngest person to win the Nobel Peace Prize after she survived being shot in the head by the Taliban for speaking out in favor of a girl's right to an education. She survived this brutal attack and has emerged as a very powerful voice for social justice in the world. Dear Malala, We Stand with You captures the impact Malala has had on girls from all walks of life. In powerfully simple language and stunning photographs, the struggles from poverty and violence faced by girls everywhere become a catalyst for change. The book includes an excerpt from Malala’s UN speech and provides readers with ways they can help and participate. Malala’s bravery has shown that one person and one voice is enough to change the world. As UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said, the terrorists are most afraid of "the girl with a book."

Author Rosemary McCarney has over 20 years of international development work and runs the Canadian operations of Plan International as President and CEO.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:49 -0400)

"An inspiring letter to two-time Nobel Peace Prize nominee Malala Yousafzai, that is both a show of support and a call to action for girls around the world"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,768,760 books! | Top bar: Always visible