Fear and Dark by Chris Mooney

Fear and Dark

by Chris Mooney

This is the nail-biting new serial killer thriller from the critically acclaimed Chris Mooney, Fear the Dark. A killer watches. A town waits. Fear grips a town in Colorado as a murderer targets entire families in their own homes. As police and the FBI struggle to contain the situation, they bring in forensic investigator and serial killer expert Darby McCormick. What she finds is a brutal and elusive predator who stays one step ahead of their investigation. As Darby navigates the blood-ties and broken promises that divide the locals, she knows that all the while the killer is watching, waiting and circling his next target: her. She must not only meet evil - and somehow survive - but also be prepared to face this small town's dark heart...If you love the novels of bestselling thriller writes like Michael Connelly, Karin Slaughter, and Lee Child then this is the next book you must read. Praise for Chris Mooney: One of the best thriller writers working today . (Lee Child). Chris Mooney is a wonderful writer. Compelling, thrilling and touching . (Michael Connelly). It will keep you up past your bedtime . (Karin Slaughter). A scary, breakneck ride with thrills that never let up . (Tess Gerritsen). Harrowing, gripping, haunting . (Harlan Coben). Chris Mooney is the author of eight previous thrillers, of which Remembering Sarah was nominated for the prestigious Edgar Award for Best Novel. The Missing, The Secret Friend and The Soul Collectors are available as Penguin paperbacks. Chris lives in Boston with his wife and son.… (more)

FEAR THE DARK

By

Chris Mooney

Working in the bookselling industry for 30 one tends to get to meet and in some cases know and become friends with a few bestselling authors. I have been so blessed; sometimes it is more than an embarrassment of riches. Over ten years ago I met Chris Mooney he had just published the Edgar Nominated REMEMBERING SARAH. To this day it is in my all time top ten picks as best thrillers/mysteries ‘ever’ written.

After collecting and reading all of Mr. Mooney’s backlist I found myself going through ‘his style of writing and storytelling’ withdraw. Since then I have never been disappointed by anything Mr. Mooney has written. With THE MISSING his readership was introduced to a new protagonist Darby McCormick. Her family lineage is steeped in protecting the innocent and tracking down people that would make most people’s skin crawl.

FEAR THE DARK (which can currently be purchased at Amazon Books UK shatters the ceiling with its dark hues and in your face portrayals of how the justice system ‘really’ works. Once again Darby is faced with the ‘good ole boy’ attitude that women are to be treated as sex objects and have no place in the field of crime solving.

Nestled in the mountains of Colorado lies the small town of Red Hill. Life in the small town is shattered by the discovery of an entire family murdered. Soon another family is massacred the exact same way with gruesome pieces that connect both families to the culprit. Darby McCormick is called as a liaison to help her peers and the town’s police staff not only formulate a profile of whom is capable of such heinous acts but also to use her history of serial killer knowledge to solve the case before the killer or killers strike again.
I make a personal oath to never reveal too much about a book due to when reviewing such fine thrillers as this one can easily unleash a ‘spoiler’ moment. That is have the fun when reading a Chris Mooney novel is ‘you as a reader’ have to do a little literary work to formulate the outcome along with the author. That is a true talent. FEAR THE DARK is the least of your worries when delving into this kick ass thriller.

Personal note: I live in a townhouse built in the late 60’s early 70’s and while I was knee deep in FEAR THE DARK I could swear I heard footsteps up and down the stairs and I was home alone…

Jim Munchel
No Stranger 2 Fiction. ( )
  LelandGaunt | Mar 16, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,805,464 books! | Top bar: Always visible