The girl with the dragon tattoo by Stieg…

The girl with the dragon tattoo (original 2005; edition 2008)

by Stieg Larsson

33,795156237 (4.03)1 / 886
Member:comfypants
Title:The girl with the dragon tattoo
Authors:Stieg Larsson
Info:New York : Vintage Crime/Black Lizard, 2009.
Collections:Your library, Books, Read
Rating:*
Tags:2005, thriller

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (2005)

Smilla's Sense of Snow by Peter Høeg (taz_)
    taz_: Charm school drop-outs Lisbeth Salander of "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" and Smilla Qaaviqaaq Jaspersen of "Smilla's Sense of Snow" strike me as unconventional soul sisters of the detective mystery. Each haunted by demons of the past, fiercely independent, armored in cynicism and misanthropy, they share a certain psychic landscape and brilliant, icy resourcefulness. If you love one, I predict you'll love the other.… (more)
    Faceless Killers by Henning Mankell (Ronoc, Ronoc)
    Jar City by Arnaldur Indriðason (ansate, ANeumann)
    Mallory's Oracle by Carol O'Connell (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: I think Lisbeth and Mallory have a lot in common.
    The Informationist by Taylor Stevens (aliklein)
    The Draining Lake by Arnaldur Indriðason (ansate)
    1Q84 by Haruki Murakami (BillPilgrim)
    BillPilgrim: Another kick-ass female heroine
    The Mermaids Singing by Val McDermid (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: It's mentioned in the book and it's another great thriller.
    A Place of Execution by Val McDermid (adithyajones)
    Let The Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist (MyriadBooks, mcenroeucsb)
    mcenroeucsb: Let the Right One In is a Swedish novel about a child vampire who just wants to be a normal kid, the pedophile who is obsessed with her, and the neighbor boy who wants to befriend her.
    Child of the Hive by Jessica Meats (EllieM)
    EllieM: Are you wondering 'what next?' after reading the The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo? I recommend that you try Child of The Hive by Jessica Meats. Both books are plot driven action packed thrillers with a rather unexpected heroine. Like Lisbeth Salander, Child of the Hive's Sophie is a highly intelligent computer geek. Someone you would not necessarily choose as a best friend but you grow fond of her as the story progresses. Stieg Larsson's blockbuster is a more traditional 'whodunnit' and the main plot puzzle is the identity of the murderer. Jessica Meats writes in a slightly a different genre, Child of The Hive is a speculative thriller on the borders of science fiction, and as such it presents different puzzles. For example a moral one, exactly which sub group should I classify as 'the bad guys'? As for guessing the ending, most people will not see where the book is going. I failed. But the surprising nature of the story is much of its fun. With the benefit of hindsight you can see that the climax of 'Child' is tidy and satisfactory. Certainly not one of those annoying thrillers with a plot balanced on one very unlikely clue which has been carefully draped in numerous red herrings. Both books should appeal to a wide range of readers, but I suggest Child of the Hive is also more suitable for a slightly younger group than The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo which is distinctly adult in places. Child of The Hive is a really ‘good read’, I give it 5 stars out of five… (more)
    Blue Belle by Andrew Vachss (birder4106)
    birder4106: Burke (Vacchs) und Salander (Larsson) haben sehr viel gemeinsam.
    The Crow Road by Iain Banks (Anonymous user)
    The Ice Princess by Camilla Läckberg (Patangel)
    The Black Dahlia by James Ellroy (5hrdrive)
    Sun Storm by Åsa Larsson (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Wellwritten crimestories set in Sweden with female protagonists.
    The Dogs of Riga by Henning Mankell (Ronoc)
    So Much Pretty by Cara Hoffman (cafepithecus)
    cafepithecus: Another book about men who hate women, and the women who take them down.
    One Kick by Chelsea Cain (Anonymous user)
    Purity by Jonathan Franzen (kristina25)

English (1,416)  Dutch (33)  Spanish (25)  French (14)  Swedish (14)  German (14)  Italian (12)  Danish (11)  Catalan (11)  Portuguese (Brazil) (3)  Norwegian (2)  Finnish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (1,560)
The first thing to say is that this was an agreeably gripping thriller that kept me engaged. I read most of it while laid up in hospital for a few days, not actually feeling all that ill so time is liable to hang heavy; this book structured the time rather nicely. I'd not be averse to read the sequels. The Swedish setting has a vaguely exotic feel (I've never been there) while being culturally not a million miles away from home. Stieg Larsson was clearly a fan of our own Val McDermid (as I am); she and her book The Mermaids Singing are name-checked and Larsson's book, which is uncomfortably gruesome in places, draws on McDermid's focus on torture. It draws on another of McDermid's one-off thrillers too; I daren't say which one for fear of giving away an important plot point.

I'm very intrigued by this book (and its sequels) as a phenomenon. They were published posthumously in strange circumstances, with control over the unpublished manuscripts passing to Larsson's father and brother rather than his partner. He hadn't made much of an effort to get them published and they were a side line to his work investigating and exposing far-right groups, of which his family didn't approve. That would seem to explain a certain sloppiness of structure. This book, the first in a long series of which three were written entirely, one partially and another six sketched out, was originally called Men Who Hate Women (Män som hatar kvinnor in Swedish) and I'm not sure what marketing idea lies behind the English title but it doesn't fit anything like as well as the original. Marketing people want themed titles, "The Girl Who...". I don't. I want honesty and when titles are changed by marketing people, especially when coming from another language. I begin to wonder what else has been changed. The Swedish title fits well; the English is deceitful. The "Girl" is the second protagonist; it seems clear that in creating the anarchic financial journalist Blomkvist who is the main POV character Larsson knew what he was about; Salander seems much less convincing even if there are moments when you want to shout "attagirl!". She's not a girl (she's 24) and her dragon tattoo is by no means the most interesting thing about her; it's not even her most interesting tattoo. And really, if she's such a cool hacker surely she works with a home-built, customised Linux box rather than a top-of-the-range iBook (which sounds unbelievably clunky just twelve years on; authors should stay well away from cutting-edge tech).

Anyway, I'll get off my hobby-horse. It's not the worst thriller ever and its not the greatest. It's an enjoyable ride if you aren't too pernickety and that's fair enough.
  enitharmon | Jan 14, 2019 |

enitharmon | Jan 14, 2019 |
A business journalist investigates a decades-old missing person case.

1/4 (Bad).

I made it through 200 pages before finally giving up. Larsson demonstrates zero interest in holding an audience. This is a "thriller" for people who think the financial section of the newspaper is a good read. I only made it as far as I did because I'd already bought the sequels and really wanted it to get better. ( )
  comfypants | Jan 11, 2019 |
Eh, what to say about this very average work. A promising modern mystery featuring a Swedish journalist and his unusual sidekick. They're trying to solve the disappearance of a young woman that happened several decades ago. The investigation mixes with the happenings at the newspaper, which is in trouble, having decided to expose a powerful businessman. The intertwining of both stories is interesting, but in the end it all degenerates into a Hollywood-style action thriller with guns, car chases and ridiculously magical hacking, all of it performed by the title character, though we never learn how she came to learn all this. The writing is average and awkward in some places. ( )
  matija2019 | Jan 8, 2019 |
Este é o primeiro thriller de Stieg Larsson com Mikael Blomkvist & Lisbeth Salander. O primeiro, repórter de economia, ao tirar folga na revista Millennium, é comissionado por Henrik Vanger, outrora big shot da indústria sueca. Ele quer que Blomkvist escreva a história da família Vanger, mas logo descobrimos que se trata de uma farsa medonha porque Vanger quer apenas descobrir o paradeiro de uma jovem parente, Harriet, que desaparecera sem deixar rastro por quase quarenta anos. Juntamente com Salander, Blomkvist mergulha no passado do Vanger, e revela os segredos mais escuros e sangrentos do que podia algum dia imaginar. Tornou-se uma espécie de clássico entre best-sellers.
  jgcorrea | Jan 1, 2019 |
added by grimm | editRomans et Lectures, Calepin (Sep 9, 2009)

[Richman reviews several Scandinavian novels, including Larsson's.]

Why have readers taken to these writers? The novels are not formally innovative: With a few exceptions, these are straightforward whodunits, hewing closely to conventional models from the English tradition. Nor does their appeal depend on a "relentlessly bleak view of the world," as a writer for the London Times has put it. Bleak worldviews are not particularly hard to come by in crime novels, no matter what country they come from.

What distinguishes these books is not some element of Nordic grimness but their evocation of an almost sublime tranquility. When a crime occurs, it is shocking exactly because it disrupts a world that, at least to an American reader, seems utopian in its peacefulness, happiness, and orderliness.
added by elenchus | editSlate.com, Nathanial Rich (Jul 8, 2009)

It’s Mr. Larsson’s two protagonists — Carl Mikael Blomkvist, a reporter filling the role of detective, and his sidekick, Lisbeth Salander, a k a the girl with the dragon tattoo — who make this novel more than your run-of-the-mill mystery: they’re both compelling, conflicted, complicated people, idiosyncratic in the extreme, and interesting enough to compensate for the plot mechanics, which seize up as the book nears its unsatisfying conclusion.

The novel offers a thoroughly ugly view of human nature, especially when it comes to the way Swedish men treat Swedish women. In Larsson’s world, sadism, murder and suicide are commonplace — as is lots of casual sex. (Sweden isn’t all bad.)

The first-time author's excitement at his creation is palpable, strangely, in the book's sometimes amateurish construction. There are frequent long digressions in this big book (more than 500 pages) in which he laboriously fills in back-story details. Then there is the Vanger family; what might have seemed like a bit of fun gets out of hand as easily more than 20 people with the surname Vanger are mixed into the story. To his credit, though, he always regains control and restores momentum.
added by Shortride | editThe Age, Jeff Glorfeld (Mar 17, 2008)

Larsson, Stiegprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mendelsund, PeterCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ortega Román, Juan JoséTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wenner, MartinReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Det hade blivit en årligen återkommande händelse.
It happened every year, was almost a ritual.
Män som hatar kvinnor ("Men who Hate Women"), 2005. English translation by Reg Keeland under the title The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, January 2008.
ISBN 0307269752 is for The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

Synopsis for the Dutch edition:
"Twee tegenpolen, Mikael Blomkvist en Lisbeth Salander. Hij is een charmante man en een kritische journalist van middelbare leeftijd, uitgever van het tijdschrift Millennium. Zij is een jonge, gecompliceerde, uiterst intelligente vrouw met zwartgeverfd haar, piercings en tatoeages, én een uitermate goede hacker. Samen vormen ze een ongewoon, maar sterk team.

Mikael wordt benaderd door oud-zakenman Henrik Vanger. Veertig jaar geleden is de zestienjarige Harriët Vanger op mysterieuze wijze verdwenen en vermoedelijk vermoord. De zaak is echter nooit opgelost en inmiddels verjaard. Toch wil Henrik Vanger graag dat Mikael zich hier nog eens op stort."

Journalist solves type
of locked-room murder with help
of the tattooed girl.
(passion4reading)
Author's premature
death, good PR spark massive
sales phenomenon.
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307454541, Paperback)

Amazon Best of the Month, September 2008: Once you start The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, there's no turning back. This debut thriller--the first in a trilogy from the late Stieg Larsson--is a serious page-turner rivaling the best of Charlie Huston and Michael Connelly. Mikael Blomkvist, a once-respected financial journalist, watches his professional life rapidly crumble around him. Prospects appear bleak until an unexpected (and unsettling) offer to resurrect his name is extended by an old-school titan of Swedish industry. The catch--and there's always a catch--is that Blomkvist must first spend a year researching a mysterious disappearance that has remained unsolved for nearly four decades. With few other options, he accepts and enlists the help of investigator Lisbeth Salander, a misunderstood genius with a cache of authority issues. Little is as it seems in Larsson's novel, but there is at least one constant: you really don't want to mess with the girl with the dragon tattoo. --Dave Callanan

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:08 -0400)

The disappearance forty years ago of Harriet Vanger, a young scion of one of the wealthiest families in Sweden, gnaws at her octogenarian uncle, Henrik Vanger. He is determined to know the truth about what he believes was her murder. He hires crusading journalist Mikael Blomkvist, recently at the wrong end of a libel case, to get to the bottom of Harriet's disappearance. Lisbeth Salander, a twenty-four-year-old, pierced, tattooed genius hacker, possessed of the hard-earned wisdom of someone twice her age--and a terrifying capacity for ruthlessness--assists Blomkvist with the investigation. This unlikely team discovers a vein of nearly unfathomable iniquity running through the Vanger family, an astonishing corruption at the highest echelon of Swedish industrialism--and a surprising connection between themselves.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,725,845 books! | Top bar: Always visible