Half a War by Joe Abercrombie

English (36)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (38)
Pretty good conclusion to the series with some new interesting characters and some nice action. ( )
  Guide2 | Jan 16, 2019 |
A satisfying end to the Shattered Sea trilogy, where many of the seeds sown in the previous two books come to fruition, some with very unexpected surprises.

Once more, the story depicts a coming-of-age journey for the central characters: in Half a King it was Yarvi, now firmly ensconced in his role as Minister of Gettland; in Half the World it was the turn of the young warriors-in-training Thorn and Brand, whom we find here again in secondary but important roles; here the focus is on three very different people: Skara, the teenage survivor of Throvenland's ruling dynasty; Raith, a man with few desires or thoughts beyond fighting and killing; and Koll, the boy saved from slavery by Yarvi and destined to follow in his footsteps in the Ministry.

Full Review at SPACE AND SORCERY BLOG ( )
  SpaceandSorcery | Dec 25, 2018 |
2.5 stars, rounded up.

I was disappointed with this one, primarily because none of the main characters from the first two books (Father Yarvi, Thorne, and Brand) were main characters in this third volume. Who writes a trilogy and doesn't keep the main characters front and center?

The book was only so-so for me, primarily because of the point made above, and I just didn't care about Princess Skara, Koll, or Raith, or what happened in the story leading up to the (disappointing) battle with Grandmother Wexen and the High King. Talk about a let down! It was a perfect set-up: obtain the elf magic and destroy your enemies with one or two magical blows .

I really felt like Abercrombie shorted himself on this one, that he took the easy road to completing it. Maybe he got tired of the ya trope himself, and decided to end it as soon as possible with as little effort as possible. I don't know, but it was so very disappointing.

I know the negatives sound bad here, but overall, the entire series was pretty good, and I'd still recommend it to Abercrombie completists. ( )
  ssimon2000 | May 7, 2018 |
I'm still not sure whether I'm giving this book 4 stars, or something closer to 5.

Joe Abercrombie's writing is drool-worthy, his world-building is detailed, and above all, his characterization is something that I can't ever get over. Even if his characters are not always exactly unique, there is something about them that is so strong and real, that demands a fierce response from the reader, whether it be dislike or affection.

And yet, for all his story-telling skills, I always find myself a little letdown by the time I reach the end of one of his stories. They are grand, twisted things, they keep you guessing and on your toes, and they never give you quite what you expected. But his happy endings are never straightforward happy, and they always leave you with a bit of bad-taste in your mouth. I think it's admirable in its way, but it's also kind of sad. Especially when I seem to always get unduly attached to those wonderful characters who somehow end up losing all the good things they deserve and worked for...

So yes, it was a wonderful conclusion to a really great trilogy. And yet I'm not sure I could ever love it as much as I would have liked to. ( )
  UDT | May 1, 2018 |
I enjoyed this final volume of the Shattered Sea trilogy quite a bit but some of the choices that the author made regarding the characters were, in my opinion, not how I saw this ending. Lots of action throughout this final volume and you will see several of the main characters featured in the first two books who are killed off or turned towards evil in this one. I was also somewhat disappointed that Thorn Bathu was relegated to only a minor part in the finale.

Overall a fun and interesting read and a good finish to the trilogy. Recommended for fantasy fans and all reading the series. ( )
  ConalO | Apr 23, 2018 |
For Teddy
Skifr let her head drop on one side. "How does anyone know anything? By listening to those who went before. By following in their footsteps. Then, in time, by walking your own path."

"New York Times bestselling author Joe Abercrombie delivers the stunning conclusion to the epic fantasy trilogy that began with Half a King, praised by George R. R. Martin as "a fast-paced tale of betrayal and revenge that grabbed me from page 1 and refused to let go." Words are weapons. Princess Skara has seen all she loved made blood and ashes. She is left with only words. But the right words can be as deadly as any blade. If she is to reclaim her birthright, she must conquer her fears and sharpen her wits to a lethal edge. Only half a war is fought with swords. The deeply cunning Father Yarvi has walked a long road from crippled slave to king's minister. He has made allies of old foes and stitched together an uneasy peace. But now the ruthless Grandmother Wexen has raised the greatest army since the elves made war on God, and put Bright Yilling at its head--a man who worships only Death. Sometimes one must fight evil with evil. Some--like Thorn Bathu and the sword-bearer Raith--are born to fight, perhaps to die. Others--like Brand the smith and Koll the wood-carver--would rather stand in the light. But when Mother War spreads her irons wings, she may cast the whole Shattered Sea into darkness. Praise for Joe Abercrombie's Half a King "A fast-paced tale of betrayal and revenge that grabbed me from page 1 and refused to let go."--George R. R. Martin "Tremendously entertaining. lightning-fast and filled with a wonderful collection of rogues, villains and two-faced bastards. From the first chapter [Abercrombie] wastes no time as the reader is swept up in a gripping tale of betrayal and revenge."--SciFi Now "Once this plot has its teeth in you, it will not let go. Abercrombie's masterly storytelling means that everything, from the characters you come to love and despise to the sprawling world that is explored, is enthralling."--Fantasy Book Review Half the World "An excellent page-turner. full of drama and energy."--New York Daily News "Another entertaining burst of battle, magic and political machinations from the always reliable Joe Abercrombie. a thoroughgoing blast, a violent, beautiful rabbit hole of craft that is well worth disappearing into."--Shelf Awareness "Compelling. [Thorn] makes Katniss Everdeen look like Dorothy Gale."--Chicago Tribune"--"The final book in a stirring new epic fantasy trilogy following Half a King and Half the World. Yarvi is the unlikely heir to the throne--a clever, thoughtful boy with a crippled hand who feels out of place in a violent, Viking-like society. Thorn is a young girl, determined to follow in the footsteps of her dead father and become a famous warrior, whatever it takes. Now Yarvi has avenged the murder of his father, and sets out on an epic journey with Thorn that will embroil his kingdom in all-out war"--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Joe Abercrombie's book Half a War was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,515,665 books! | Top bar: Always visible