The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet

When Rosemary Harper joins the crew of the Wayfarer, she isn't expecting much. The Wayfarer, a patched-up ship that's seen better days, offers her everything she could possibly want: a small, quiet spot to call home for a while, adventure in far-off corners of the galaxy, and distance from her troubled past. But Rosemary gets more than she bargained for with the Wayfarer. The crew is a mishmash of species and personalities, from Sissix, the friendly reptillian pilot, to Kizzy and Jenks, the constantly sparring engineers who keep the ship running. Life on board is chaotic, but more or less peaceful - exactly what Rosemary wants. Until the crew are offered the job of a lifetime: the chance to build a hyperspace tunnel to a distant planet. They'll earn enough money to live comfortably for years... if they survive the long trip through war-torn interstellar space without endangering any of the fragile alliances that keep the galaxy peaceful. But Rosemary isn't the only person on board with secrets to hide, and the crew will soon discover that space may be vast, but spaceships are very small indeed.… (more)
Member:miromurr
Title:The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet
Authors:
Info:Hodder & Stoughton Ltd
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers

Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both are optimistic space operas that focus on the characters and their relationships.
    On a Sunbeam by Tillie Walden (tralliott)
    The Best of All Possible Worlds by Karen Lord (debbiereads)
    Behind the Throne by K. B. Wagers (majkia)
    majkia: strong weomen, complex characters, space opera
    The Human Division (Old Man's War) by John Scalzi (g33kgrrl)
    Redshirts: A Novel with Three Codas by John Scalzi (g33kgrrl)
    g33kgrrl: Enjoyable people on space voyages. Drama makes a plot happen, but the characters are pretty great too.
    Sargasso of Space by Andre Norton (amanda4242)
    Ascension by Jacqueline Koyanagi (rarm)
    Quarter Share by Nathan Lowell (WabbitSeason)
    WabbitSeason: Both are gentle, optimistic, character-driven space opera's

English (155)  German (1)  All languages (156)
Character-driven space opera. It's not super fast paced or action packed, but the interesting and sometimes alien characters have a lot of depth and leave you wanting to know more about them and their connections to each other, as well as what they'll get into next. ( )
  djshiva | Feb 7, 2020 |
It took me a while to get rolling on this book, but I picked up steam once I realized what the book was up to. This isn’t a tightly plotted book; there’s no Big Bad, no space battles, no shadowy conspiracy. It’s an episodic look at a year in the life of the Wayfarer’s crew, and this approach allows the reader to get to know everyone. It’s a really satisfying story, and I’m glad there’s already a sequel. ( )
  PeteMilan | Feb 5, 2020 |
To read more reviews in this series and others, check out keikii eats books!

95 points, 5 STARS!

Follow a crew as different as they are same. Rosemary Harper is looking to escape her past when she joins up with the crew of the Wayfarer: Ashby is their captain, Sissix is the heart of their family, Kizzy and Jenks are the engineers extraordinaire who keep them running through talent and spunk, Corbin is the resident jerk who everyone tolerates and has a past not even he knew, Lovely is the ship AI and Ohan is special. Their job? To punch a hole in the galaxy to a small, angry planet on a mission of diplomacy.

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet has been on my radar for a while because so many of my friends have read and loved it. They just wouldn't stop talking about it. I kept putting it off though, because "it isn't the right time" and I wanted to get through the stuff I already had.

It was a mistake.

Within the first five percent of this book, I realised I was completely and totally hooked. I couldn't have stopped reading if you dropped a bomb on my head. I really didn't sleep last night. It really snuck up on me, how quickly I fell in utter love with this. I was still in the "I could really like this stage" before I got slapped upside the head with utter adoration.

As always with slice-of-life stories, I kept waiting for the story actually start. I'm not used to slice-of-life, so every time it is a bit of an adjustment for me. It was easier with Small, Angry Planet, though. I realised it earlier than normal. Something about this book made me realise that it was about the people and what they're going through instead of some nasty event that is happening. I loved it.

And I also loved the characters. There is something about them that just draw you in and make you love them. They make you want to stay with them. By the end of the book, you feel like you're one of the crew members. That you, too, could be a part of the family they have created for themselves. You just want to know what is going to happen to each and every one of them. They are all amazing.

Not only are you part of the family, now, you're rooting for their personal and professional lives. Even if their professional lives isn't really part of the story, you're still rooting for them to succeed in everything they set out to do. And boy does Ashby have some lofty goals for himself and the rest of the crew. This is a story about the people, and their professional and personal lives are part of them.

In some ways, A Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet is entirely predictable. In others it wasn't. In every way it was enjoyable to read. This was just an excellently well-told story all around. I cannot wait to read the next one, even as much as I dread leaving the crew that became my family here.

The smartest thing I'll do for a while is go to bed now instead of starting the next one, because then I truly won't sleep. ( )
  keikii | Jan 23, 2020 |
Not perfect, but a better read than most of what I’ve been working through lately! The plot was secondary to the characters and their relationships and did not derive from them, but gave them things to react to. ( )
  quondame | Jan 9, 2020 |
What a charming book. It reminded me of Farscape in a lot of ways- humans as a minority group in a vast universe full of alien species with more knowledge and experience. ( )
  being_b | Jan 8, 2020 |

Becky Chambersprimary authorall editionscalculated
Aquan, Richard L.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Doll, ChristopherCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dulude, RachelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rodríguez, PatriciaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Szafranski, Paula RussellDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
From the ground, we stand;
From our ships, we live;
By the stars, we hope.

- Exodan Proverb
For my family, hatch and feather
As she woke up in the pod, she remembered three things.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,599,109 books! | Top bar: Always visible