The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet…

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, 1) (edition 2016)

by Becky Chambers (Author)

Series: Wayfarers (1)

Rosemary Harper doesn't expect much when she joins the crew of the aging Wayfarer. While the patched-up ship has seen better days, it offers her a bed, a chance to explore the far-off corners of the galaxy, and most importantly, some distance from her past. An introspective young woman, she's never met anyone remotely like the ship's diverse crew, including Sissix, the exotic reptilian pilot, chatty engineers Kizzy and Jenks, who keep the ship running, and Ashby, their noble captain. Life aboard the Wayfarer is chaotic and crazy-exactly what Rosemary wants. It's also about to get extremely dangerous when the crew is offered the job of a lifetime. Tunneling wormholes through space to a distant planet is definitely lucrative and will keep them comfortable for years. But risking her life wasn't part of the plan. In the far reaches of deep space, the tiny Wayfarer crew will confront a host of unexpected mishaps and thrilling adventures that force them to depend on each other. To survive, Rosemary's got to learn how to rely on this assortment of oddballs-an experience that teaches her about love and trust, and that having a family isn't necessarily the worst thing in the universe.… (more)
Member:mgriel
Title:The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, 1)
Authors:Becky Chambers (Author)
Info:Harper Voyager (2016), Edition: Later Printing, 464 pages
Tags:science fiction, galactic travel, space ships, sentient ships, ship minds, artificial intelligence, friendship, interspecies relations, worm holes, crew of space ship, gender identity, war

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers

Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both are optimistic space operas that focus on the characters and their relationships.
    The Empress of Salt and Fortune by Nghi Vo (andreas.wpv)
    andreas.wpv: The book is really different in story and in setting. Empress is high fantasy - but barely visible, and tells a story of a story being collected from the maidservant of an empress. While the story is so different, the mood and feel of the story, and the telling of the story are similar - a tender loving observation of human beings living their lives together in non-ordinary circumstances. I have not read the next books of the 'empress' - so not sure this holds, but to me, they are so similar.… (more)
    On a Sunbeam by Tillie Walden (tralliott)
    The Best of All Possible Worlds by Karen Lord (debbiereads)
    Ascension by Jacqueline Koyanagi (rarm)
    Trouble in the Stars by Sarah Prineas (bookwren)
    bookwren: A human young woman finds family on a spaceship crewed by various beings from other planets, just as Trouble does.
    Behind the Throne by K. B. Wagers (majkia)
    majkia: strong weomen, complex characters, space opera
    The Human Division by John Scalzi (g33kgrrl)
    Sargasso of Space by Andre Norton (amanda4242)
    Quarter Share by Nathan Lowell (WabbitSeason)
    WabbitSeason: Both are gentle, optimistic, character-driven space opera's
    Redshirts by John Scalzi (g33kgrrl)
    g33kgrrl: Enjoyable people on space voyages. Drama makes a plot happen, but the characters are pretty great too.

English (231)  German (1)  All languages (232)
Absolutely wonderful chararacter-driven science fiction novel. Where most science fiction stories focus on key plot set pieces to drive tension and momentum, this book focuses on character's experiences and growth. ( )
  anthony_agbay | Aug 25, 2021 |
Summer 2021 (June);
Sarah's Book Club - June
F Bingo Board - Novel by a Debut Writer

I'm glad that I was not hearing about this story at the time so many of my friends did and so I got to go into this story with no allusions or connections to Star Trek or Firefly, which I feel aren't that great a comparisons learning about these three in a ven diagram of each other after the fact. If I'd know this definitely would have ended up in the overhyped box, but as I didn't and it didn't, I was free to enjoy this book on the merits of simply being just another take on a multicultural, scifi space setting in the far future (like thousands of other scifi stories which match up similarly).

I rather liked that this book wasn't about the tension and race to get somewhere, do something, go, go, go. It takes a few chapters but you realize incredibly early on in the books that is isn't going to be about that. This is a character study of the people on this one ship, in this one universe, about all their different backgrounds, species, plants, interconnections, differences and similarities that brought them to this moment, this team, this family. I appreciate this utterly different change of pace you don't find very often in scifi.

While I did feel like I needed a chart to be able to remember the differences in races sometimes, I feel like my struggle with that pointed out how similar the base line of humanity is right now, and how much we choose not to juggle about even the other people on our own planet, no less the differences of hundreds and thousands of other species across a galaxy. I liked the struggle and the points I could see being shown off behind that struggle, with the writing specifically telling you that.

In some different ways, I ended up attached to all the characters (though, for certain, serious, and from beginning to end, my favorite was Lovey). There were definitely moments throughout the last fourth where I tears up over several things (Corbin, of course; where Rosemary & Sissix end up; and Lovey, my soul for Lovey, where I did start crying even in my car in public). I'm curious about the next novel, so maybe this will go on my list of series to delve into sometime in the future.
  wanderlustlover | Aug 21, 2021 |
Sometimes, between all the post-apocalyptical stories, I need to read something that's just good fun. This book is that! I liked the characters, their different struggles and cultures. The overall story is a bit thin, and the book is almost a picaresque, as the title implies, there's a lot of traveling going on. ( )
  Enno23 | Aug 15, 2021 |
I enjoyed this book a lot, but I'm finding it hard to describe. The best comparison I can make for it is that this book is like a TV series: it has a lot of vignettes, but other than the characters and the overall book plot, there is very little tying one chapter to another. I enjoyed it, but it wasn't what I expected.

The characters are a lot of fun. I look forward to seeing how they develop in future books (the ones who we see again, that is... I'm aware that the next book doesn't directly follow the crew of the Wayfarer). I also like the view of a galactic community presented here.

This is a gentle science fiction book. While I would recommend it to most readers, I would also caution you to not pick it up if you're looking for something more active. Again, think long-running sci-fi TV series rather than summer action blockbuster movie. It took me a while to get into the book because I had different expectations than what the book was ready to give me. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | Aug 5, 2021 |
This book was a mixed bag. One thing I did get from it is that I have to stop relying on io9 for book recommendations, at least from new authors.

Well, that's not entirely fair. I did read about Leviathan Wakes on the site, and that turned out to be a series of winners in ways this book could only dream of being. Here, though, I get chunks of pedantry, of didacticism so thick I felt like I was back in Sunday school or reading about Goofus and Gallant waiting to see the dentist.

Whenever you have characters regularly taking time to have conversations about the failings of human kind (fair enough), and saying in no uncertain terms how their choices are better than those of history, it's just too much. And that is really disappointing, because the book was otherwise not bad. It was an interesting enough conceit, and I generally like space operas, but this was a little too soap opera-y and I can only conclude it was because the author had an agenda. The result is a book that is entirely too clunky and clumsy to truly enjoy. I swear, by the time they got to a conversation that was too obviously about vaccinations, I'd just had it. Fortunately, it was near the end of the book.

It's not about the politics the author espoused, either, as they generally hued closely to my own. But the best literature, and certainly the best genre fiction, addresses social issues obliquely; it allows the reader to realize something bigger is being discussed, or optionally to not realize it at all and still enjoy a good story. I felt at times like there was going to be a quiz later, and it spoiled so much. ( )
  allan.nail | Jul 11, 2021 |

Becky Chambersprimary authorall editionscalculated
Aquan, Richard L.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Doll, ChristopherCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dulude, RachelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rodríguez, PatriciaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Szafranski, Paula RussellDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
From the ground, we stand;
From our ships, we live;
By the stars, we hope.

- Exodan Proverb
For my family, hatch and feather
As she woke up in the pod, she remembered three things.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,240,064 books! | Top bar: Always visible