Britt-Marie Was Here: A Novel by Fredrik…

Britt-Marie Was Here: A Novel (original 2016; edition 2016)

by Fredrik Backman (Author)

Fiction. Literature. Humor (Fiction.) HTML:The New York Times bestselling author of A Man Called Ove, My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry, and Anxious People captivates readers with this "warm and satisfying" (People) story "about a woman rediscovering herself after a personal crisis...fans of Backman will find another winner in these pages" (Publishers Weekly).
Britt-Marie can't stand mess. A disorganized cutlery drawer ranks high on her list of unforgivable sins. She is not one to judge others??no matter how ill-mannered, unkempt, or morally suspect they might be. It's just that sometimes people interpret her helpful suggestions as criticisms, which is certainly not her intention.

But hidden inside the socially awkward, fussy busybody is a woman who has more imagination, bigger dreams, and a warmer heart that anyone around her realizes.

When Britt-Marie walks out on her cheating husband and has to fend for herself in the miserable backwater town of Borg??of which the kindest thing one can say is that it has a road going through it??she finds work as the caretaker of a soon-to-be demolished recreation center. The fastidious Britt-Marie soon finds herself being drawn into the daily doings of her fellow citizens, an odd assortment of miscreants, drunkards, layabouts. Most alarming of all, she's given the impossible task of leading the supremely untalented children's soccer team to victory. In this small town of misfits, can Britt-Marie find a place where she truly belongs?

Funny and moving, sweet and inspiring, Britt-Marie Was Here celebrates the importance of community and connection in a world that can feel i
… (more)
Member:mandko
Title:Britt-Marie Was Here: A Novel
Authors:Fredrik Backman (Author)
Info:Atria Books (2016), Edition: Reprint, 337 pages
Collections:Adult Fiction, Your library

Work Information

Britt-Marie Was Here by Fredrik Backman (2016)

English (150)  Finnish (1)  All languages (151)
Britt-Marie, whom Backman fans might remember from My Grandmother Sends Her Regards And Apologises, is the most nagging, intolerant woman you've ever met. She judges people by the cleanliness of their homes, the way they arrange their cutlery drawers, by their reserve during emotional times. She is an unhappily married housewife, and has no friends.

One day Britt-Marie can't take it anymore. She leaves her cheating husband and goes out to find a job for the first time in forty years. The job takes her out of the city and into the tiny community of Borg, if community is what this collection of empty buildings on a country road could properly be called. Her job is to clean the rec centre, and she does so with vigour and with all the sodium bicarbonate she can find.

It is to her great surprise that she accidentally ends up coaching a soccer team. She is also surprised by friendship, and by the attentions of a man, and by love for a young man raising his siblings on his own.

Britt-Marie's biggest fear is dying alone and having no one know that she is dead because there is no one to miss her, and her body not being discovered until the neighbours complain about the smell. Britt-Marie, however, is unforgettable, whether you are one of the other characters of the book, or whether you are lucky enough to have read 'Britt-Marie Was Here' as I did. I loved this book, almost as much as I loved A Man Called Ove, and I love Britt-Marie too. ( )
  ahef1963 | May 5, 2024 |
Britt-Marie: Nag Bag with a heart of gold

When the reader first encounters Britt- Marie, she is silent and closed off...quite rigid. Through her encounters in Borg, she develops the ability to assert herself, and make choices about her future.
4 out of 5 stars...I found the last chapter to be disappointing. The author doesn't really explain the choices Britt- Marie made, nor why. ( )
  Chrissylou62 | Apr 11, 2024 |
Another great story by Backman! Definitely officially one of my favorite authors. He has such a way with words and a gift at expressing such real emotions in his stories. This story was written similarly to A Man Called Ove (Beartown and Us Against You have a different vibe) with a main character that is easily disliked...until she’s not. It’s a beautiful story with a perfect ending. ( )
  jbrownleo | Mar 27, 2024 |
Absolutely astonishing. A side of Britt-Matie that is unexpected and heart warming. She reminded me of my own grandma in the loving way. This is the second book I have read by Fredrik Backman and I absolutely love it. A true tale of you are never too old to reinvent yourself and find a new passion. ( )
  Enid007 | Feb 29, 2024 |
I enjoyed this book. The author has a way of taking everyday people and events and making them interesting. Britt-Marie is such a socially awkward person, but it's great to see her character development. This is my second book by this author and I'll definitely search for more. ( )
  Woodardja | Jan 30, 2024 |

Fredrik Backmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Koch, HenningTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mother, who always made sure there was food in my stomach and books on my shelf.
Forks. Knives. Spoons.
In that order.
That is the reason why passion is worth something, not for what it gives us but for what it demands that we risk. Our dignity. The puzzlement of others and their condescending, shaking heads.

amazon ca: For as long as anyone can remember, Britt-Marie has been an acquired taste. It's not that she's judgemental, or fussy, or difficult - she just expects things to be done in a certain way. A cutlery drawer should be arranged in the right order, for example (forks, knives, then spoons). We're not animals, are we?

But behind the passive-aggressive, socially awkward, absurdly pedantic busybody is a woman who has more imagination, bigger dreams and a warmer heart than anyone around her realizes.

So when Britt-Marie finds herself unemployed, separated from her husband of 20 years, left to fend for herself in the miserable provincial backwater that is Borg - of which the kindest thing one can say is that it has a road going through it - and somehow tasked with running the local football team, she is a little unprepared. But she will learn that life may have more to offer her that she's ever realised, and love might be found in the most unexpected of places.

The number 1 European bestseller by the author of A Man Called Ove, Britt-Marie was Here is a funny, poignant and uplifting tale of love, community, and second chances.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,437,286 books! | Top bar: Always visible