Zen 01: Ratking (An Aurelio Zen Mystery) by…

Zen 01: Ratking (An Aurelio Zen Mystery) (original 1988; edition 1997)

by Michael Dibdin

Series: Aurelio Zen (1)

In this masterpiece of psychological suspense, Italian Police Commissioner Aurelio Zen is dispatched to investigate the kidnapping of Ruggiero Miletti, a powerful Perugian industrialist. But nobody much wants Zen to succeed: not the local authorities, who view him as an interloper, and certainly not Miletti's children, who seem content to let the head of the family languish in the hands of his abductors -- if he's still alive. Was Miletti truly the victim of professionals?  Or might his kidnapper be someone closer to home: his preening son Daniele, with his million-lire wardrobe and his profitable drug business?  His daughter, Cinzia, whose vapid beauty conceals a devastating secret? The perverse Silvio, or the eldest son Pietro, the unscrupulous fixer who manipulates the plots of others for his own ends? As Zen tries to unravel this rat's nest of family intrigue and official complicity, Michael Dibdin gives us one of his most accomplished thrillers, a chilling masterpiece of police procedure and psychological suspense.… (more)
Member:mysterysf
Title:Zen 01: Ratking (An Aurelio Zen Mystery)
Authors:Michael Dibdin
Info:Vintage (1997), Trade Paperback, 266 pages
Tags:crime fiction, mystery, police procedural, kidnapping, italy, perugia, series

Ratking by Michael Dibdin (1988)

English (27)  Dutch (2)  All languages (29)
I watched the very short-lived Zen TV series (just 3 episodes were made) and I liked both the style and any chance to watch Rufus Sewel so I thought I would give one of the books it is based on a chance. The book and TV series do have one thing in common, the mystery/police procedural plots are both hard to follow and not particularly well-constructed. Otherwise, the Zen of the novels is pretty different from the show, he comes from Venice and that is about it. It was not a terribly interesting read and I lost both track and interest in the suspects and was just overall glad when it was done. On another note, this is the first physical book I have taken out of the library since the pandemic.
  amyem58 | Aug 16, 2020 |
I have no idea why anybody would compare Dibdin with Chandler: he is wordy where Chandler is minimalist, verging on sentimental where Chandler is cynical. Could two characters be more different than Zen and Marlowe? Zen who lives with his mother and isn't going to give that up for all the sex in China and - Marlowe?!

bringbackbooks | Jun 16, 2020 |
It was good. Maybe even better than most. I enjoyed the Italian setting. The main character: possibilities. The opening chapter is hilarious, perhaps even the best opening chapter I've ever read in a mystery. ( )
  MaryHeleneMele | May 6, 2019 |
Zen (2011IMDb)
Agli amici di quel tempo
"Hello?"

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,771,614 books! | Top bar: Always visible