Trigger Warning: Short Fictions and…

Trigger Warning: Short Fictions and Disturbances (edition 2015)

by Neil Gaiman

This third collection of short fiction by Gaiman includes previously published pieces of short fiction -- stories, verse, and a very special Doctor Who story that was written for the fiftieth anniversary of the beloved series in 2013 -- as well "Black Dog," a new tale that revisits the world of American Gods.… (more)
Member:stephenlang
Title:Trigger Warning: Short Fictions and Disturbances
Authors:Neil Gaiman
Info:Headline (2015), Hardcover, 352 pages

Trigger Warning: Short Fictions and Disturbances by Neil Gaiman

Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury (sturlington)
    sturlington: A short story in Trigger Warning is an homage to Ray Bradbury.
    Her Body and Other Parties: Stories by Carmen Maria Machado (LAKobow)
    Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders by Neil Gaiman (LAKobow)
    LAKobow: Another short story collection by Neil Gaiman.

English (169)  French (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (172)
This collection had so many wonderful stories. I could individually rate each one, but I'll just point out a few. I have never been so affected by a short story as I was by "The Man Who Forgot Ray Bradbury". "Feminine Endings" may be one of the creepiest stories I've read in a while. "Orange" wins the award fro most unique and effective format. "The Truth is a Cave in the Black Mountains..." is just pure brilliance, as is "The Sleeper and the Spindle." If I were to describe "Nothing O' Clock" in one word, it would be "clever", just like the Doctor. Finally, "Black Dog" was a wonderful addition to the American Gods mythos, and I look forward to enjoying the further adventures of Shadow in the (hopefully) near future. ( )
  SeanBoley | Jun 5, 2021 |
As a Neil Gaiman fan, I found this collection a bit uneven. If all the stories had been as good as the best of them—“Lunar Labyrinth,” “The Thing about Cassandra,” “Nothing O’Clock” (a Dr. Who story), “Orange,” “Click-Clack the Rattlebag,” “The Sleeper and the Spindle,” and “Black Dog” (a further adventure of Shadow Moon)—I would have given it 5 stars. But the weaker stories kind of brought it down for me, and there were 24 tales and poems in all. I would’ve been thrilled with just 12 of the best of these, as it took a number of starts and stops during reading it over four months. I almost never made it to my favorite, “Black Dog,” which features Shadow Moon in England after the events of American Gods.

Definitely worthwhile, but I would like to have edited this collection. ( )
  alexlubertozzi | May 24, 2021 |
Another great collection of stories. ( )
  atari_guy | May 11, 2021 |
This was my first foray into Neil Gaiman’s short fiction and I liked it. He has some different views on the fairytales and fantasy of our youth. ( )
  bgknighton | Apr 17, 2021 |
Overall, an enjoyable read. A handful of stories felt like experiments that didn't quite work, but most were engaging if not memorable. ( )
  KarenBayly | Apr 10, 2021 |
added by DoctorDebt | editThe Guardian, Edward Docx (Feb 8, 2015)

added by DoctorDebt | editNPR Books, Jason Sheehan (Feb 4, 2015)

I'm not sure how I wound up with an honourable Hollywood agent who reads books for pleasure but I did, eighteen years ago. He's still my agent, still honourable, and he still likes short stories best of all. This book of tales is for Jon Levin.
There are things that upset us.

Contains the following short stories/poems:
Making a Chair
A Lunar Labyrinth
The Thing About Cassandra
Down to a Sunless Sea
'The Truth is a Cave in the Black Montains ...'
My Last Landlady
The Man Who Forgot Ray Bradbury
Jerusalem
Click-Clack the Rattlebag
An Invocation of Incuriosity
'And Weep, Like Alexander'
Nothing O'Clock
The Sleeper and the Spindle
Witch Work
In Relig Odhráin
Black Dog

Also contains an interview with the author in Extra Material in the appendix.
Reader, proceed with
caution: monsters prowl this book.
Read at your own risk.
(passion4reading)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Neil Gaiman's book Trigger Warning was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,003,738 books! | Top bar: Always visible