A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara

A Little Life (original 2015; edition 2016)

by Hanya Yanagihara (Author)

4,1252562,167 (4.09)1 / 241
"When four classmates from a small Massachusetts college move to New York to make their way, they're broke, adrift, and buoyed only by their friendship and ambition ... Over the decades, their relationships deepen and darken, tinged by addiction, success, and pride. Yet their greatest challenge, each comes to realize, is [their center of gravity] Jude, ... by midlife a terrifyingly talented litigator yet an increasingly broken man, his mind and body scarred by an unspeakable childhood, and haunted by what he fears is a degree of trauma that he'll not only be unable to overcome--but that will define his life forever"--Amazon.com.… (more)
Member:mifoley119
Title:A Little Life
Authors:Hanya Yanagihara (Author)
Info:Anchor (2016), Edition: Reprint, 832 pages

A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara (2015)

The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: Another group of lifelong friends followed over the decades.
    The Complete Patrick Melrose Novels: Never Mind, Bad News, Some Hope, Mother's Milk, and At Last by Edward St. Aubyn (vwinsloe)
    vwinsloe: Another book about child abuse, although this one is also about substance abuse.

English (237)  Dutch (10)  German (2)  Catalan (2)  Piratical (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (256)
Third time lucky in my attempt to read Hanya Yanahigara’s A Little Life (Picador), and it seems I’m not the only one who has struggled to get past the first 50 or so pages. When I posted a photo of the books I intended to read this holiday, I immediately got two responses from friends who also had grappled unsuccessfully and now asked if we could form a mini Yanagihara book club to incentivise us all to get this done. And I’m delighted that I persisted and was immensely rewarded as a result – I guess that many people feeling so passionately about a book has to count for something. Once you get past the ‘Friends’ first few chapters, two characters in particular are explored in more depth, relationships mature, the narrative develops beautifully, and the involvement in their lives, cares and flaws is cemented. It is deeply moving and compelling. Like many I have seen before me, I could not put this book down and for the last 500 or so pages we were pretty much inseparable. It needs the time to get hitched so I recommend picking your slot. ( )
  davidroche | Jul 28, 2021 |
Imposible terminarlo. Demasiado sufrimiento en una sucesión de capítulos tautológicos que sobran. Paso de seguir, y eso que no estaba muy mal. Pero no se puede abusar. Ya sé que Jude sufrió mucho y sigue sufriendo pero déjalo ya Hanya ( )
  Orellana_Souto | Jul 27, 2021 |
I've seen more racism in 30 pages of this novel than in any novel about european colonialism. The book caught my attention, but it's a real shame the author had to resort to trash talking classical culture and disrespecting white people, and what's more scandalous is that there are readers who are willing to overlook this despite the pains she takes to pointlessly slander whites. I'm not a white person at all by American standards, but that doesn't give me any more reason to gloss over her ridiculous attempt to punch down a whole ethnicity. This isn't brave or politically correct, it's an outrageous and cowardly way to offend countless people, which i imagine could nonetheless be potential buyers that are alienated by the author's outspoken racism and bigotry. ( )
  Vertumnus | Jul 22, 2021 |
Harrowing and heartbreaking.

I'm glad I listened to this as an audio book. I think it would have been too painful to read...I think I might have given up on it. ( )
  Charon07 | Jul 16, 2021 |
I am puzzled by the positive reviews this book has garnered. I felt as though I was reading the same scene over and over again for hundreds of pages. The minor characters were so indistinct I couldn't keep them straight. Even the descriptions of all the fabulous homes that every character seemed to occupy were repetitive. ( )
  KateFinney | Jul 10, 2021 |
I'm still talking about A Little Life. It's deeply upsetting, but I think it's a wonderfull story in the end.
added by Sylak | editStylist [Issue 338], Paula Hawkins (Oct 12, 2016)

Hanya Yanagihara schrijft in Een klein leven duidelijk voor haar lezer, ze manipuleert je met perfect getimede overgangen: van feel good naar feel bad en terug. Alle personages hebben maar één eigenschap, het zijn sjablonen. Ergerlijk. En toch weet het boek iets te raken.

In the end, her novel is little more than a machine designed to produce negative emotions for the reader to wallow in—unsurprisingly, the very emotions that, in her Kirkus Reviews interview, she listed as the ones she was interested in, the ones she felt men were incapable of expressing: fear, shame, vulnerability. Both the tediousness of A Little Life and, you imagine, the guilty pleasures it holds for some readers are those of a teenaged rap session, that adolescent social ritual par excellence, in which the same crises and hurts are constantly rehearsed.

Je kunt je afvragen waarom de mensen rond Jude St. Francis zoveel kunnen houden van iemand die hen steeds weer door de vingers glipt, die zijn geschiedenis verborgen houdt en die een bron is van zorgen en frustraties. Tot je merkt dat je zelf die liefde bent gaan voelen, inclusief de angst die erbij hoort. Het verraadt dat in A Little Life iets wezenlijks wordt aangeraakt.
added by Jozefus | editNRC Handelsblad, Auke Hulst (Sep 14, 2015)

Yanagihara’s success in creating a deeply afflicted protagonist is offset by placing him in a world so unrealized it almost seems allegorical, with characters so flatly drawn they seem more representative of people than the actual thing. This leaves the reader, at the end, wondering if she has been foolish for taking seriously something that was merely a contrivance all along.
added by ozzer | editNew York Times, Carol Anshaw (Mar 30, 2015)

Yanagihara, Hanyaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Piper (30870)
To Jared Hohlt
in friendship; with love
The eleventh apartment had only one closet, but it did have a sliding glass door that opened onto a small balcony, from which he could see a man sitting across the way, outdoors in only a T-shirt and shorts even though it was October, smoking.
"I know you're tired," Brother Luke had said. "It's normal; you're growing. It's tiring work, growing. And I know you work hard. But Jude, when you're with your clients, you have to show a little life; they're paying to be with you, you know – you have to show them you're enjoying it."

De verwijzing naar de titel van het boek is in de Nederlandse vertaling verdwenen:

'Ik weet dat je moe bent,' had broeder Luke gezegd. 'Dat is normaal; je bent in de groei. Groeien is een vermoeiende klus. En ik weet dat je hard werkt. Maar Jude, als je met je klanten bent, moet je wel een beetje energiek zijn; ze betalen ervoor om met je naar bed te gaan, weet je… Je moet ze laten zien dat je het fijn vindt.'
The trick of friendship, I think, is to find people better than you are - not smarter, not cooler, but kinder, and more generous, and more forgiving - and then to appreciate them for what they can teach you, and to try to listen to them when they tell you something about yourself, no matter how bad or good it might be, and to trust them, which is the hardest thing of all. But the best, as well.
He would have turned down Rhode's invitation; he would have kept living his little life; he would have never known the difference.
If you love home — and even if you don't — there is nothing quite as cozy, as comfortable, as delightful, as that first week back. That week, even the things that would irritate you — the alarm waahing from some car at three in the morning; the pigeons who come to clutter and click on the windowsill behind your bed when you're trying to sleep in — seem instead reminders of your own permanence, of how life, your life, will always graciously allow you to step back inside it, no matter how far you have gone away from it or how long you have left it.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,490,667 books! | Top bar: Always visible