The Bone Labyrinth by James Rollins

The Bone Labyrinth

by James Rollins

4452035,711 (3.82)22

THE BONE LABYRINTH is book 11 in James Rollins Sigma Force series. The books can be read separately, but it can be easier to understand the story and the characters past stories if you have read the previous books.

READ THE REST OF THE REVIEW OVER AT FRESH FICTION!

*********

Oh, a new Sigma Force book out this summer winter!

MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
Rollins splits Sigma's field agents into two task groups in this one. Both groups are dealing with Chinese scientists, soldiers and geeks who are all behaving badly. One group travels from Croatia to Italy to Ecuador while the other goes from Atlanta to Beijing to the DRC, meaning that fans of diverse settings will have a lot to enjoy here. There's plenty of interesting science and speculation behind the various plots in this one, as well, and Rollins does a decent job with the info dumps here, usually presenting them in the form of dialogue. As a result, the pacing is decent. It was also nice to see some of the worst of the bad guys meet with creative and nightmarish fates. And that ending -- the parting of ways for some of the story's good guys in Africa. Top-notch stuff that raises a lot of questions about the fate of one Sigma team member while providing a great curtain call for a couple of the furrier characters in this one. The room may have even gotten a little dusty as I was reading that part. Maybe. Just a little. ( )
  jimgysin | Mar 22, 2019 |
I chose this book due to it's rating, but I have to say it is one of the hardest books that I've ever had to make myself finish. I just found it very predictable, the characters were okay, actually the monkey was my favorite character and the plot was drawn out. I honestly didn't get into it until I was 60% through it. I know many people like this author, but I don't know if I want to read more of his books, if I want suspense there are many other authors whose writing I already know is sensational, this guy I would put under the heading of mediocre. I will add one caution for future readers, if you really dislike animal cruelty, put this one back on the shelf. Also, the ending was pathetic. There is nothing about this book that will make you feel very good. ( )
  LydiaGranda | Feb 15, 2019 |
A bit of a mishmash of ideas, theories, etc., but some good action scenes. A fun quick read, but I was left a bit disappointed in the finale. ( )
  decaturmamaof2 | Nov 28, 2018 |
Okay, so this had all the elements to make me a happy reader! I love ancient hominds and the question of how did we go from merely surviving for hundreds of thousands of years to BAM!, cave to skyscraper in 5.3 geo-seconds?! Rollins also included the ethos dilemma of research relating to science vs humanity! And of course the action-packed save the world thriller ride that delivers all of Rollins' narratives.

In this work, Rollins seems to be getting back on his game. Which was very good to see. I originally missed reading The Midnight Watch (short story) that was a VERY short lead-in to this adventure! And certainly, one that can be skipped (and maybe even should be) without any notice to the larger story. And I do not know what I think of the Epilogue...... ( )
  CassiMerten | Apr 2, 2018 |

"In this groundbreaking masterpiece of ingenuity and intrigue that spans 50,000 years of human history, New York Times bestselling author James Rollins takes us to mankind's next great leap. But will it mark a new chapter in our development. or our extinction? A war is coming, a battle that will stretch from the prehistoric forests of the ancient past to the cutting-edge research labs of today. In the remote mountains of Croatia, an archaeologist makes a strange discovery: a subterranean Catholic chapel, hidden for centuries, holds the bones of a Neanderthal woman. In the same cavern system, elaborate primitive paintings tell the story of an immense battle between tribes of Neanderthals and monstrous shadowy figures. Who is this mysterious enemy depicted in these ancient drawings, and what do the paintings mean? Before any questions can be answered, the investigative team is attacked, while at the same time, a bloody assault is made upon a primate research center outside of Atlanta. How are these events connected? Who is behind these attacks? The search for the truth will take Commander Gray Pierce of Sigma Force 50,000 years into the past. As he and Sigma trace the evolution of human intelligence to its true source, they will be plunged into a cataclysmic battle for the future of humanity that stretches across the globe. and beyond. With the fate of our future at stake, Sigma embarks on its most harrowing odyssey ever--a breathtaking quest that will take them from ancient tunnels in Ecuador that span the breadth of South America to a millennia-old necropolis holding the bones of our ancestors. Along the way, revelations involving the lost continent of Atlantis will reveal true mysteries tied to mankind's first steps on the moon. Gray Pierce and his team will face their greatest threat: an ancient evil, resurrected by modern genetic science, strong enough to bring about the end of man's dominance on this planet. Only this time, Sigma will falter--and the world we know will change forever. One of James Rollins's most ambitious stories to date, The Bone Labyrinth combines science, adventure, historical mystery, archaeology, technology, and legend in a brilliantly inventive tale that connects early man and the fate of the Neanderthals, while exploring the evolution of human intelligence from its wellspring to where we, as a species, may be headed next. Full of ingenious twists, it is a pulse-pounding epic from a master storyteller at the pinnacle of his creative powers"--… (more)

James Rollins is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,345,722 books! | Top bar: Always visible