Pocket Apocalypse (InCryptid) by Seanan…

Pocket Apocalypse (InCryptid) (original 2015; edition 2015)

by Seanan McGuire (Author)

Series: InCryptid (4)

The fourth book in New York Times-bestselling Seanan McGuire's witty urban fantasy InCryptid series about a family of cryptozoologists who act as a buffer between humans and the magical creatures living in secret around us. "The only thing more fun than an October Daye book is an InCryptid book." --Charlaine Harris, #1 New York Times-bestselling author of Sookie Stackhouse series Endangered, adjective: Threatended with extinction or immidiate harm. Australia, noun: A good place to become endangered. Alexander Price has survived gorgons, basilisks, and his own family--no small feat, considering that his family includes two telepaths, a reanimated corpse, and a colony of talking, pantheistic mice.  Still, he's starting to feel like he's got the hang of things...at least until his girlfriend, Shelby Tanner, shows up, asking pointed questions about werewolves and the state of his passport.  From there, it's just a hop, skip, and a jump to Australia, a continent filled with new challenges, new dangers, and yes, rival cryptozoologists who don't like their "visiting expert" very much. Australia is a cryptozoologist's dream, filled with unique species and unique challenges.  Unfortunately, it's also filled with Shelby's family, who aren't delighted by the length of her stay in America.  And then there are the werewolves to consider: infected killing machines who would like nothing more than to claim the continent as their own. The continent which currently includes Alex. Survival is hard enough when you're on familiar ground.  Alex Price is very far from home, but there's one thing he knows for sure: he's not going down without a fight.… (more)
Member:joankutschke
Title:Pocket Apocalypse (InCryptid)
Authors:Seanan McGuire (Author)
Info:DAW (2015), 368 pages

Work Information

Pocket Apocalypse by Seanan McGuire (2015)

Oho, so apparently all I needed to do was wade through the first few books, and at this point McGuire has hit her stride as a writer and I am hopelessly, hopelessly hooked. Fast-paced cryptozoological adventure that just never lets up -- this time in Australia, with werewolves and future in-laws -- so fun times and knife throwing all around. Yippee! ( )
  jennybeast | Apr 14, 2022 |
The second of Alex's books, and the best of the two by a clear margin. This one takes place in Australia, and the author nails the setting, while taking the mickey about (northern) Australia's natural population's inherent desire to kill everyone. Half-off Ragnarok struggled to get this cultural uniqueness right, in my opinion, so it was a relief to see the improvement here. Shelby still remained elusive as an individual, but her family members more than compensated.

Shelby's family is why I didn't like this book even more; they're over-the-top asses to Alex and it teetered on caricature.

The plot was good; while I wasn't shocked by the turn of events, I didn't see them coming, either. I love how the author and Alex brought in the wadjets, using this angle to work in the injustice of ‘otherness’, though the Yowie's (who I loved) circumstances turned what was a subtle but effective highlight on that injustice into something more like a sledgehammer.

The Aeslin mice are here but I did not appreciate the turn of events the author took with them. Maybe she'd argue it was necessary to the story line, but she'd never convince me. Luckily it was a relatively short scene.

With every book of McGuire's I've read, I have both enjoyed them and found them problematic. That I mostly keep coming back (I've skipped a few) for more Price family antics suggests she gets it right more often than she doesn't. ( )
  murderbydeath | Feb 10, 2022 |
Another great entry in the Incryptid series. Fun, smart, funny and wholly satisfying. ( )
  Powerfuldragon | Oct 21, 2021 |
*sigh* in theory this should be a fun read for me.

I was bored.

So so bored.

And if I wasn't bored, I was raging.

The only thing saving it, were the talking mice. I like animals that can talk. But even that got tired after a while because sexism. And I want to rant about that but also not? Because... well it's too subtle to rant about. Also I don't really care enough about this book to muster any enthousiasme for a rant.

It's done. And I won't continue with this series. Even though I wanted to read about Verity. This book killed any desire to do so. ( )
  Jonesy_now | Sep 24, 2021 |
Nifty. ( )
  wetdryvac | Mar 2, 2021 |

Seanan McGuireprimary authorall editionscalculated
Fell, AlyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

For Amy Mebberson and Nikki Purvis. Thanks for making my world a better place.
Alex eased himself around the open stable door, his heart beating so hard that it felt like it was going to break in two.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,224,042 books! | Top bar: Always visible