dismiss

Seven Brief Lessons on Physics by Carlo…

Seven Brief Lessons on Physics (2014)

by Carlo Rovelli

'Here, on the edge of what we know, in contact with the ocean of the unknown, shines the mystery and the beauty of the world. And it's breathtaking' These seven short, simple lessons guide us through the scientific revolution that shook physics in the twentieth century and still continues to shake us today. Theoretical physicist Carlo Rovelli, a founder of the loop quantum gravity theory. explains Einstein's theory of general relativity, quantum mechanics, black holes, the complex architecture of the universe, elementary particles, gravity, and the nature of the mind. In under eighty pages, readers will understand the most transformative scientific discoveries of the twentieth century and what they mean for us.… (more)
Recently added byrondorn, AnthonyLib, igorversteeg, Luis_Castrillo, nwebster, private library, MLHart, elementravi

English (45)  Italian (7)  Dutch (3)  Catalan (1)  All languages (56)
The introduction of this slim books says it was written for those who know little or nothing about modern science. While that may be true, others will get something out of this book as well. I'm not a scientist, but as a chemical engineer I studied college-level physics and I definitely enjoyed this little book and learned some things. Also, written with some beautiful passages, I found it lovely. At 81 pages, it's definitely worth your time. ( )
  LisaMorr | May 23, 2020 |
“The writing is elegant and poetic, and Carlo's explanatory clarity is compelling. He organized this short book into seven lessons that introduce the non-specialized reader to the most fascinating questions about the universe, including how we learn about it.”—NPR
  StJamesLenoir | Apr 25, 2020 |
This thin little book is a collection of seven expanded articles previously published in the Sunday supplement of the Italian newspaper Il Sole 24 Ore. I found the book to be flowery of language but superficial, with very little substantial discussion of the selected topics for the "lessons on physics". This book is too simplified for anyone with even basic physics knowledge and I wonder if it provides enough information for anyone with no knowledge of the subject to gain an interest? ( )
  ElentarriLT | Mar 24, 2020 |
The book it’s really great! It’s a short summary of what is happening in science, but better than that, it’s a philosophical overview of it. ( )
  brunoalano | Mar 22, 2020 |
Amazing what some people can do with ~100 pages. Rovelli explains the most complex advances in physics in a way that is utterly understandable - and yet infinitely poetic. A great read. ( )
1 vote Sonya_W | Feb 5, 2020 |

Carlo Rovelliprimary authorall editionscalculated
Carnell, SimonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Segre, EricaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
These lessons were written for those who know little or nothing about modern science. (Preface)
In his youth Albert Einstein spent a year loafing aimlessly.

«Ci sono frontiere, dove stiamo imparando, e brucia il nostro desiderio di sapere. Sono nelle profondità più minute del tessuto dello spazio, nelle origini del cosmo, nella natura del tempo, nel fato dei buchi neri, e nel funzionamento del nostro stesso pensiero. Qui, sul bordo di quello che sappiamo, a contatto con l'oceano di quanto non sappiamo, brillano il mistero del mondo, la bellezza del mondo, e ci lasciano senza fiato». Tale è il presupposto di queste «brevi lezioni», che ci guidano, con ammirevole trasparenza, attraverso alcune tappe inevitabili della rivoluzione che ha scosso la fisica nel secolo XX e la scuote tuttora: a partire dalla teoria della relatività generale di Einstein e della meccanica quantistica fino alle questioni aperte sulla architettura del cosmo, sulle particelle elementari, sulla gravità quantistica, sulla natura del tempo e della mente.
(piopas)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,279,423 books! | Top bar: Always visible