Seven Brief Lessons on Physics by Carlo…

Seven Brief Lessons on Physics (2014)

by Carlo Rovelli

1,0205012,328 (3.76)55

English (38)  Italian (8)  Dutch (3)  Catalan (1)  All languages (50)
Beautiful little book that delivers seven really brief essays about the major areas of physics, and tge nature of our existence. This is more of a philosophy book than a science book - the theories are discussed at a very high level, in context of how much we still don't know about them, and how they shape our understanding of the world. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
I really think this is a solid 4. Here’s why...

I did enjoy this book, and I especially liked the level of detail the author went into. I could be off base, but what I think the author was trying to do was provide a top level understanding of some basic principles to folks who are not classically trained in physics or other sciences. I get that this book is not heavy on the detail, but I don’t think it was meant to be. I really do feel that it was meant more as a companion‘s guide to help people understand these principles in the way that the author was able to understand them during his earlier studies.

A great example of this his first section on general relativity. I think I may try to explain it to my daughter with his visualization. Is it any different from others I’ve read or seen? No, not really. Just the method used to help the reader visualize it seems to be in more of a way that is helpful to people who require hands-on or tangible examples / explanation to really understand a subject.

Definitely worth the read for those who don’t have a heavy physics, cosmology, or astrophysics background.
  jons0813 | Oct 27, 2018 |
Entertaining enough and well written but very short and with very little depth. The six "lessons" don't do too much more than namecheck some important or interesting theories and problems - relativity, quantum physics, quantum gravity - and the last, perhaps the most interesting, concerns our relationship to physics and the world.

I wouldn't recommend anyone buy it but if it's handy you might find it diverting for a short while. ( )
  thsutton | May 18, 2018 |
Lovely translation of fluid and inspiring prose ideas outlining complicated and sophisticated ideas clearly. I think some of the other reviews are a bit harsh although I agree it's not a beginners guide to Physics. I don't think it's meant to be either. ( )
  johnm1958 | May 2, 2018 |
I really enjoyed this tiny volume and wish something like this would be published for everyday consumption in newspapers. It made me miss what I loved about science in school, and what here in the United States is often lacking from our public discourse. I found myself wondering if the same lessons had been originally published in a US paper instead, would they have gained any traction in a country that increasingly seems to steer clear or distrust science-y discussions.... I hope so, but I have my doubts. ( )
  RivetedReaderMelissa | Mar 22, 2018 |

Carlo Rovelliprimary authorall editionscalculated
Carnell, SimonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Segre, EricaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
These lessons were written for those who know little or nothing about modern science. (Preface)
In his youth Albert Einstein spent a year loafing aimlessly.

«Ci sono frontiere, dove stiamo imparando, e brucia il nostro desiderio di sapere. Sono nelle profondità più minute del tessuto dello spazio, nelle origini del cosmo, nella natura del tempo, nel fato dei buchi neri, e nel funzionamento del nostro stesso pensiero. Qui, sul bordo di quello che sappiamo, a contatto con l'oceano di quanto non sappiamo, brillano il mistero del mondo, la bellezza del mondo, e ci lasciano senza fiato». Tale è il presupposto di queste «brevi lezioni», che ci guidano, con ammirevole trasparenza, attraverso alcune tappe inevitabili della rivoluzione che ha scosso la fisica nel secolo XX e la scuote tuttora: a partire dalla teoria della relatività generale di Einstein e della meccanica quantistica fino alle questioni aperte sulla architettura del cosmo, sulle particelle elementari, sulla gravità quantistica, sulla natura del tempo e della mente.
(piopas)

An introduction to modern physics by a founder of the loop quantum gravity theory shares seven succinct lessons on topics ranging from general relativity and quantum mechanics to elementary particles and black holes.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,583,091 books! | Top bar: Always visible