Zeroboxer

by Fonda Lee

"As seventeen-year-old Carr 'the Raptor' Luka rises to fame in the weightless combat sport of zeroboxing, he learns a devastating secret that jeopardizes not only his future in the sport, but interplanetary relations"--

I have several boys I will give this book to, to read. Sports kids, sci-fi kids, and those who like intrigue. ( )
  readingbeader | Oct 29, 2020 |
Great rec for teens who'd like a mix of sci-fi and sports. The characters are well drawn, there's a hint of romance, and plenty of suspense. It's really realistic, considering the sci-fi setting, so there's swearing and violence and general machismo shenanigans. Solid choice for a teen guy. ( )
  bookbrig | Aug 5, 2020 |
Would you like an extremely quick breakdown of this book? I'll oblige. Zeroboxer is Rocky, in space. Oh yes, my friends. Complete with the craggy, but ultimately lovable coach, and all the related drama. That's not to say that this isn't a good book. I'm simply telling you exactly what to expect. This was most definitely a different kind of Science Fiction than I'm used to, and I'm still not quite sure how I feel about it.

First off, credit where credit is due. The sport of zeroboxing is so well fleshed out in this story that it isn't even funny. You won't just be reading about Carr's matches, you'll live them. Fonda Lee has not only built a sport, she's built a sport that actually makes sense. I felt the tension, heard the cheers, and watched the blood float around in zero gravity. If nothing else, this book will get you for that very reason. It's hard not to be caught up with the sport, and everything that comes along with it.

Even the world itself is pretty solid, since it's essentially Toronto in the far flung future. Genetic enhancements are the norm. Tattoos are done with an animated liquid. Best of all, travel between Earth and Mars is something that's done often. The one downside here is that the reader is thrown directly into this future without a whole lot of hand holding. While I eventually found my footing, it took me a while to truly associate Carr's life with his futuristic home. If it wasn't for the references to zero gravity boxing, I'd have been much more lost.

Now here's where things get a bit hairy. First off, I wasn't always a huge fan of Carr Luka. Our main character felt a little too perfect. Thus, when things started to turn sour for him, I wasn't really empathetic. I actually wanted him to lose. If just once. It's no fun to root for someone who is nigh unbeatable. Nor is it easy to feel bad when they're injured. My other issue was with how casually the topic of people being genetically enhanced in the womb, and the fact that only bad parents didn't do that, was mentioned and then tossed aside. I understand this was part of the world building, but I needed more. That's a big subject to simply touch on.

Overall, I was fairly impressed with Zeroboxer. I'm not generally a big fan of sports related books or movies, but this one held my interest. The union between boxing and Sci Fi definitely made this a different read than I was expecting, and a rather happy surprise. ( )
1 vote roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |
Mixed martial arts in SPACE!! It seemed like it would be a fantastic premise. Carr Luka is a up and coming fighter in what is known as zeroboxing, or fighting in zero gravity environments. He gains the attention of a marketing firm/promoter and ends up losing his heart to someone special. But while he is busy trying to sort out his feelings and fighting to win, Luka stumbles into a grander scheme that could have devastating consequences. Or something.

The concept sounded interesting. I'm not into MMA but did train in martial arts as a child. The author is also a martial artist so it seemed like it could be an interesting concept. And I wanted to add more science fiction into my reading lists anyway.

But it just did not work. The book is slow. The fights are not something that interested me at all. Luka's not exactly a compelling (or interesting) hero, although he has some nice touches. Not only is he a fighter but he puts up with (in a Big Brother sort of way) with a young fan which I found very sweet. It gave him a bit more dimension instead of being a cardboard fighter. The romance was also not exactly interesting (that it was on the summary made it all the more predictable).

The idea was fun but the execution was tedious. Luckily I bought it as a bargain book since it wasn't available at the library. Would have preferred to borrow it and would recommend that as the best way to read it if you're interested.

HoldMyBook | Feb 11, 2018 |
MMA on the moon. Zeroboxing is a martial sport, but Carr Luka is one of the best from earth. This book follows Carr on his pro journey and his evolution to being the face of the sport and an inter-galactic superstar. Along the way he falls for his brand manager and discovers that he possess a secret that may impact the future of his career. There is a lot of action and fighting. An inventive scifi read. ( )
  ewyatt | Apr 23, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,787,906 books! | Top bar: Always visible