Dark Orbit: A Novel by Carolyn Ives Gilman

Dark Orbit: A Novel (edition 2016)

by Carolyn Ives Gilman (Author)

"From Nebula and Hugo Award-nominated Carolyn Ives Gilman comes Dark Orbit, a compelling novel featuring alien contact, mystery, and murder. Reports of a strange, new habitable planet have reached the Twenty Planets of human civilization. When a team of scientists is assembled to investigate this world, exoethnologist Sara Callicot is recruited to keep an eye on an unstable crewmate. Thora was once a member of the interplanetary elite, but since her prophetic delusions helped mobilize a revolt on Orem, she's been banished to the farthest reaches of space, because of the risk that her very presence could revive unrest.Upon arrival, the team finds an extraordinary crystalline planet, laden with dark matter. Then a crew member is murdered and Thora mysteriously disappears. Thought to be uninhabited, the planet is in fact home to a blind, sentient species whose members navigate their world with a bizarre vocabulary and extrasensory perceptions.Lost in the deep crevasses of the planet among these people, Thora must battle her demons and learn to comprehend the native inhabitants in order to find her crewmates and warn them of an impending danger. But her most difficult task may lie in persuading the crew that some powers lie beyond the boundaries of science. "--… (more)
Member:doctorsidrat
Title:Dark Orbit: A Novel
Authors:Carolyn Ives Gilman (Author)
Info:Tor Books (2016), Edition: Reprint, 304 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:format-ebook, author-female, from-bought

Dark Orbit by Carolyn Ives Gilman

Set on a dimensionally unstable exoplanet in the very far future, this story features some technologies that will probably always be impossible and neglects to explain how the exoplanet can harbor native humans despite being newly discovered. But I found my disbelief to be willingly suspended thanks to the highly original and enjoyable plot and its deep exploration of the true (?) power of perception and consciousness.
  fpagan | Feb 3, 2020 |
Wound up putting this down about 40% of the way through. Can't really even put my finger on anything particularly *wrong* about the book, just never got reeled in by the plot, ideas or any of the characters.
  thegreatape | Jan 7, 2020 |
Too many voices make this hard to follow. Could be interesting if more world building happened.
  AnnaHernandez | Oct 17, 2019 |
on space and time, and a great leap for mankind. i like this writer a lot, but this one was difficult to score. high marks for the strength and originality of the ideas, coming from a very LeGuinian place. some problems with the naive style and the shallow portrayal of the characters though, and this made me impatient. ( )
  macha | Jan 26, 2019 |
I expected this book to be a story about scientific space exploration, maybe about alien contact. What I got was an enthralling book about time and travel and possibly time travel. This book always had me pausing to think about the idea it was currently presenting. I fell into it and didn't climb out until I was finished. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
In the course of Saraswati Callicot's vagabond career, she had been disassembled and brought back to life so many times, the idea of self-knowledge had become a bit of a joke.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,375,709 books! | Top bar: Always visible