Nimona by Noelle Stevenson

Nimona (edition 2015)

by Noelle Stevenson (Author), Noelle Stevenson (Illustrator)

1,471987,429 (4.3)144
Member:popslan
Title:Nimona
Authors:Noelle Stevenson (Author)
Other authors:Noelle Stevenson (Illustrator)
Info:HarperTeen (2015), 272 pages
Collections:2016
Rating:*****

Nimona by Noelle Stevenson (Writer and Illustrator)

Gunnerkrigg Court: Orientation by Thomas Siddell (FFortuna)
    FFortuna: Clever sci-fi/fantasy fusions with similar art styles, featuring unique young female protagonists.

This book is a delight. An anti-hero with a metal arm. A shapeshifting sidekick. Bad government. Weird science. Best friends turned nemeses, who still love each other. Loyalty. Betrayal. Wildly out-of-proportion revenge. In a cheerful, goofy[*] style that I grew to like.

[*]seriously, why does the shark have boobs? ( )
  susanramirez | Sep 17, 2018 |
Nimona is a great main character - is she a good guy or a bad guy? We don't know, and she doesn't either. The art has a great angular style, and the whole thing has a lot of humor. I was sad that I couldn't finish it, but the small uneven text gave me a whopping eye-strain induced headache two days in a row. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
I liked this one! I have a hard time getting into graphic novels because of the pictures. As I submerge myself into a book, I have a movie in my head and graphic novels play with that process. However, as I have read more graphics it’s gotten easier.
That said, this one was a fun read and I really enjoyed Nimona. I would love to buy copies for my nieces.
  coffeymuse | Sep 9, 2018 |
This is a great graphic novel. Nimona is a character that goes to your heart and even if at the beginning you do not know her real story you can't help but fail for that little girl that is not a girl but a shark (this is not a spoiler, happens just starting the book) Hope someday in the future I will see a second part of this.... ( )
  CaroPi | Aug 9, 2018 |
Nimona started off as a free fantasy webcomic and has since been published in graphic novel form (only the first three chapters of the webcomic are still available for free). I read it back when it was a webcomic and remembered enjoying it. I was excited when I heard about the audiobook, but also wary. I mean, it's a graphic novel. How do you turn a graphic novel into an even halfway decent audiobook?

In the case of Nimona, it was turned into something like a radio play, complete with sound effects, a full cast, and a narrator filling in whatever the sound effects and dialogue couldn't get across. For the most part, I thought it was reasonably successful, although I still missed the artwork.

Let me back up a bit. Nimona stars Lord Ballister Blackheart, a villain who wants to cause trouble for the Institution of Law Enforcement and Heroics but who doesn't actually want to hurt anyone, and Nimona, his new sidekick. Nimona is a shapeshifter who thinks being a villain sounds cool, and she's overenthusiastic about her new job. She has a tendency to kill people if Ballister doesn't watch her and rein her in. Ballister's nemesis is Sir Ambrosius Goldenloin, the man who blew off his right arm.

When Ballister learns that the Institution of Law Enforcement and Heroics is involved in a project that may be poisoning the country's crops, he decides to intervene. The situation is complicated by Nimona's secrets and Ballister and Goldenloin's painful history (they used to be friends, and it's strongly hinted that they were once lovers).

If the names didn't make it clear, there's a good bit of humor in this. I enjoyed Ballister's enthusiasm for the Science Fair, Dr. Blitzmeyer's complete obliviousness to anything that wasn't her area of research, and anything that poked fun at Goldenloin. The story did take a turn for the serious, though, when the full story of Nimona's past was revealed.

For the most part, the voice acting was pretty good. I was iffy about the casting decision for Goldenloin, but I loved the rest of the main cast. The attempt to have sound effects and narration fill in for the original story's artwork mostly worked, although I'm guessing that my past familiarity with the webcomic probably helped. That said, there were a few times when even I had a little trouble following what was going on, usually when Nimona was doing some of her more rapid-fire transformations.

Story-wise, the pacing was a bit weird. As much as I loved Ballister's reaction to the Science Fair, for example, that part came at an odd time in the story. Also, the ending was extremely unsatisfying. I can't remember if I had the same issue with the webcomic, but I recall a few extra illustrations that at least gave the illusion of more closure. And did the webcomic let readers at least know more about Goldenloin's ultimate fate? Unless I missed it, the audiobook didn't - the last thing that was said about him was that he might not ever wake up again.

All in all, this was better than I expected, but I'd probably still advise newbies to the story to start with the graphic novel and listen to the audiobook only if they love the original work and want more.

Rating Note:

This is my 3-star "I don't even know" rating. I'd probably have rated it higher if it hadn't been for the ending.

(Original review posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.) ( )
  Familiar_Diversions | Aug 6, 2018 |

Stevenson, NoelleWriter and Illustratorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fitzsimmons, ErinCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To all the monster girls
What! Who are you? How did you get in here?

The graphic novel debut from rising star Noelle Stevenson, based on her beloved and critically acclaimed web comic, which Slate awarded its Cartoonist Studio Prize, calling it "a deadpan epic."

Nemeses! Dragons! Science! Symbolism! All these and more await in this brilliantly subversive, sharply irreverent epic from Noelle Stevenson. Featuring an exclusive epilogue not seen in the web comic, along with bonus conceptual sketches and revised pages throughout, this gorgeous full-color graphic novel is perfect for the legions of fans of the web comic and is sure to win Noelle many new ones.

But as small acts of mischief escalate into a vicious battle, Lord Blackheart realizes that Nimona's powers are as murky and mysterious as her past. And her unpredictable wild side might be more dangerous than he is willing to admit.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:44 -0400)

"Nimona is an impulsive young shapeshifter with a knack for villainy. Lord Ballister Blackheart is a villain with a vendetta. As sidekick and supervillain, Nimona and Lord Blackheart are about to wreak some serious havoc. Their mission: prove to the kingdom that Sir Ambrosius Goldenloin and his buddies at the Institution of Law Enforcement and Heroics aren't the heroes everyone thinks they are. But as small acts of mischief escalate into a vicious battle, Lord Blackheart realizes that Nimona's powers are as murky and mysterious as her past. And her unpredictable wild side might be more dangerous than he is willing to admit"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,526,775 books! | Top bar: Always visible