Ancillary Mercy by Ann Leckie

Ancillary Mercy

by Ann Leckie

Series: Imperial Radch (3)

Recently added byxiaomarlo, lthomson, coralice, wisemetis, obstacle2, bernardgilmore, nrmay, private library, KateSavage
    The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both are optimistic space operas that focus on the characters and their relationships.

English (73)  French (1)  All languages (74)
The things I loved about the previous two books are still here, but combined with a fairly weak story and the addition of a new 'comic' character that fell flat, flat, flat for me. (This is a series that doesn't need comic elements, it's got other factors that work much better to soften the space opera story.) What I loved the most: the ambiguity of gender - the pronoun 'she' is used for everyone, but you never know which gender a character is, whether male, female or something else entirely. Sex is a fairly casual part of life in this world, but it isn't graphically described, so the gender mistiness remains. I've always wondered how babies are made here (pregnancy isn't a thing), but finally at the end of this book there's a throwaway hint. Two other things I loved about this series: the punctilious attention to manners and ceremony at all times (the tea, the gloves, the commemorative pins) which gave a kind of yoga-like, peaceful aura to the whole series, and the character of Breq, an almost stereotypic hero who, for reasons I haven't figured out yet, didn't come across as one-dimensional to me. ( )
1 vote badube | Mar 6, 2019 |
This wrapped up the trilogy nicely. The story arc lands exactly where it should, and doesn’t fall out of line with the other two books -- social justice against a military sf / space opera background. ( )
  Petroglyph | Feb 16, 2019 |
This is a final book of the trilogy. The first volume won both Hugo and Nebula (as well as a few more awards) and all three volumes were nominated for the highest SFF awards. At the same time all this acclaim hasn’t done this series great for me. It has some interesting ideas but story is a bit bland. I don’t mean that tea drinking from thousand year old china while discussing politics is bad for a space opera, I actually like the relatively peaceful narrative. However, author’s attempt to make the protagonist a conflicted person but at the same time a do-gooder is not entirely successful.
The first book set the universe and introduced characters. The second one shifted from the grand scale to a single system and to “improving the world in tiny steps”. The final book mixed both approaches making grand swipes but at the same time remaining on a small scale, at least in astronomic terms.
The author improved her style through the books, adding a comic relief with Presger translator and a new major character. We once again meet (one of) the Emperor of the Radch and have adventures on the tea-growing planet and on the station above.
Overall an interesting read but I cannot call it great
  Oleksandr_Zholud | Jan 9, 2019 |
I liked the conclusion of the Ancillary trilogy well enough, although to me it seemed like there was a lot of recapping dialogue. But I thoroughly enjoyed Translator Zeiat -- she is probably my favourite character of the whole trilogy. The story wrapped up well, too. The trilogy as a whole is quite interesting. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Nov 30, 2018 |
Great ending to a fantastic series. The last book takes a different theme then the previous books, but it is a very satisfactory book and conclusion to the series. ( )
  renbedell | Oct 25, 2018 |

Ann Leckieprimary authorall editionscalculated
Benshoff, KirkCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harris, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
One moment asleep.

Spaceship friendships bloom;
Station joins in too, helping;
Thwart the evil Lord.
(pickupsticks)

"For a moment, things seemed to be under control for Breq, the soldier who used to be a warship. Then a search of Athoek Station's slums turns up someone who shouldn't exist, and a messenger from the mysterious Presger empire arrives, as does Breq's enemy, the divided and quite possibly insane Anaander Mianaai--ruler of an empire at war with itself"--Page 4 of cover.… (more)

Ann Leckie is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,092,798 books! | Top bar: Always visible