HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Ancillary mercy by Ann Leckie

Ancillary mercy (edition 2015)

by Ann Leckie

Series: Imperial Radch (3)

"For a moment, things seemed to be under control for Breq, the soldier who used to be a warship. Then a search of Athoek Station's slums turns up someone who shouldn't exist, and a messenger from the mysterious Presger empire arrives, as does Breq's enemy, the divided and quite possibly insane Anaander Mianaai--ruler of an empire at war with itself"--Page 4 of cover.In the stunning conclusion to the Imperial Radch trilogy, a search of Athoek Station's slums turns up someone who shouldn't exist. A messenger from the mysterious Presger empire arrives, as does Breq's enemy, the divided and quite possibly insane Anaander Mianaai, ruler of an empire at war with itself. Breq refuses to flee with her ship and crew, because that would leave the people of Athoek in terrible danger. The odds aren't good, but that's never stopped her before.… (more)
Member:evareads
Title:Ancillary mercy
Authors:Ann Leckie
Info:New York, NY Orbit October 2015
Tags:science fiction

Work Information

Ancillary Mercy by Ann Leckie

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both are optimistic space operas that focus on the characters and their relationships.

English (118)  French (1)  All languages (119)
Very good series! I think that it's very hard to review each individual book, and that I can only appreciate the 1st and 2nd after having read all 3.

Very intelligent world building. I loved this! ( )
  selia | Dec 17, 2022 |
Third in a trilogy -- Breq is now a Fleet Captain, a role gifted by her emperor nemesis Anaander Mianaai, and the narrative arc between them proceeds.

A letdown from the first two, which were nearly attached to my palm from first to last page. I suspect I was reading more for the ideas than the characters. Denouements don't introduce new ideas, and the character and plot development felt pretty pedestrian. The book & series are definitely worth finishing! But it was not on par with the same experience that the first two books in the trilogy gave me. ( )
  pammab | Aug 6, 2022 |
This was a good ending for the series. It felt nice and complete while still leaving room for more stories.Quality Sci Fi. ( )
  Luziadovalongo | Jul 14, 2022 |
I read these three books back to back, so I'm going to merge my reviews into one. Overall, I gave the first book 4 stars, the second and third 4 stars, and the series overall 4 stars.

I liked this series because the characters were not perfect. They had real issues, and they had to carry on despite them. The plot was interesting, and the world was intriguing. I liked that the plot was the right size -- one person was not saving everything but was instead focused on one (still impressive) thing then another. And, at the same time, this relatively narrow focus had repercussions for and was influenced by a much larger set of changes.

The thing I liked less about the second and third books is that the plot could drag at times. This wasn't necessarily between the heavier action sequences. Often those parts were excellent. Rather, sometimes things were stretched out just a bit too long. Often this was because of the other thing that kind of bugged me: the philosophy was a little too close to the surface. However, the third book was definitely better than the second in this respect. And I very much appreciated the resolution of the third book, which -- without giving a spoiler -- connected back to the nagging question that was in the back of this reader's mind from the start. ( )
  eri_kars | Jul 10, 2022 |
Really great conclusion to the aeries. If you loved the first book, you'll love this too. ( )
  Onomatapedalo | May 7, 2022 |

Ann Leckieprimary authorall editionscalculated
Andoh, AdjoaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Benshoff, KirkCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harris, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

One moment asleep.

Spaceship friendships bloom;
Station joins in too, helping;
Thwart the evil Lord.
(pickupsticks)

Ann Leckie is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,778,091 books! | Top bar: Always visible