The Bazaar of Bad Dreams: Stories by Stephen…

The Bazaar of Bad Dreams: Stories (edition 2015)

by Stephen King (Author)

"A master storyteller at his best--the O. Henry Prize winner Stephen King delivers a generous collection of stories, several of them brand-new, featuring revelatory autobiographical comments on when, why, and how he came to write (or rewrite) each story. Since his first collection, Nightshift, published thirty-five years ago, Stephen King has dazzled readers with his genius as a writer of short fiction. In this new collection he assembles, for the first time, recent stories that have never been published in a book. He introduces each with a passage about its origins or his motivations for writing it. There are thrilling connections between stories; themes of morality, the afterlife, guilt, what we would do differently if we could see into the future or correct the mistakes of the past. "Afterlife" is about a man who died of colon cancer and keeps reliving the same life, repeating his mistakes over and over again. Several stories feature characters at the end of life, revisiting their crimes and misdemeanors. Other stories address what happens when someone discovers that he has supernatural powers--the columnist who kills people by writing their obituaries in "Obits;" the old judge in "The Dune" who, as a boy, canoed to a deserted island and saw names written in the sand, the names of people who then died in freak accidents. In "Morality," King looks at how a marriage and two lives fall apart after the wife and husband enter into what seems, at first, a devil's pact they can win. Magnificent, eerie, utterly compelling, these stories comprise one of King's finest gifts to his constant reader--"I made them especially for you," says King. "Feel free to examine them, but please be careful. The best of them have teeth.""-- "From a master of the short story, a collection that includes stories never before in print, never published in America, never collected and brand new- with the magnificent bones of interstitial autobiographical comments on when, why and how Stephen King came to write each story"--… (more)
Member:sik7
Title:The Bazaar of Bad Dreams: Stories
Authors:Stephen King (Author)
Info:Scribner (2015), Edition: 1st, 512 pages

Work Information

The Bazaar of Bad Dreams by Stephen King (Author / Narrator)

English (94)  Piratical (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (97)
Recopilación de relatos del autor que más fácil me resulta leer en este mundo. Algunos son sublimes (el que escribió para promocionar el Kindle es mi favorito) y otros, particularmente en los que intenta a propósito imitar el estilo de terceros autores, no tanto. En realidad creo que esperaba una colección de relatos de terror con monstruitos y, aunque son todos de bastante mal rollo y peor baba, me ha costado empatizar con los humanos que los protagonizan aunque, a su manera, den más miedo que un ser tentacular de otra dimensión.

Ahora bien, se bebe como un batidito fresco en una tarde de verano; lo que no sé es si eso es bueno o si lo convierte en comida rápida. ( )
  tecniferio | May 12, 2022 |
Raccolta di racconti/antologia del Re che sembra aver raffazzonato alcuni racconti un po' a caso.
Niente di trascendentale ma è piacevole, mi ha decisamente riacceso l'amore per lo zio King sopratutto dopo l'infinita delusione di "la scatola dei bottoni di gewndy". ( )
  louchobi | May 12, 2022 |
Another great short story collection from King. It's a testament to how good he is at hooking a reader that I went into 'Blockade Billy' thinking I might have read it before, realised after about 10 pages that I had, but by that point wanted to read it again anyway.
  whatmeworry | Apr 9, 2022 |
Not overly fond of short stories but enjoyed this book. ( )
  Nefersw | Jan 14, 2022 |
Stephen King has a certain charm, winning you over not with his prose—which is just okay at best—but with the heart and soul of his stories.

I liked almost all of the stories in this collection, especially the ones that dealt with everyday life in its most banal form. King shines when his characters are people like you and me, facing things me and you would probably face. He infuses the daily with the extranormal, making it almost as if we’re looking through a slightly distorted mirror at ourselves.

But hey, we have the supernatural stories too. And they’re fantastically out there, mixed with the Americana that we have all come to know and love.

Keep on writing, you brilliant bastard. I look forward to more amazing short stories from you. ( )
  bdgamer | Sep 10, 2021 |

Smith, CotterNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wasson, CraigNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Weller, FrederickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winningham, MareNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I shoot from the hip and keep a stiff uper lip.

(Je dégaine mon flingue et je garde mon flegme.)

AC/DC
I've made some things for you, Constant eader; you se them laid out before you in the moonlight. But before you look at the little handcrafted treasures I have for sale, let's talk about them for a bit, shall we? It won't take long. Here, sit down beside me. And do come a little closer. I don't bite.

Except...we've known each other for a very long time, and I suspect you know that's not entirely true.

Is it?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 169,947,379 books! | Top bar: Always visible