The Bazaar of Bad Dreams: Stories by Stephen…

The Bazaar of Bad Dreams: Stories (edition 2015)

by Stephen King (Author)

"A master storyteller at his best--the O. Henry Prize winner Stephen King delivers a generous collection of stories, several of them brand-new, featuring revelatory autobiographical comments on when, why, and how he came to write (or rewrite) each story. Since his first collection, Nightshift, published thirty-five years ago, Stephen King has dazzled readers with his genius as a writer of short fiction. In this new collection he assembles, for the first time, recent stories that have never been published in a book. He introduces each with a passage about its origins or his motivations for writing it. There are thrilling connections between stories; themes of morality, the afterlife, guilt, what we would do differently if we could see into the future or correct the mistakes of the past. "Afterlife" is about a man who died of colon cancer and keeps reliving the same life, repeating his mistakes over and over again. Several stories feature characters at the end of life, revisiting their crimes and misdemeanors. Other stories address what happens when someone discovers that he has supernatural powers--the columnist who kills people by writing their obituaries in "Obits;" the old judge in "The Dune" who, as a boy, canoed to a deserted island and saw names written in the sand, the names of people who then died in freak accidents. In "Morality," King looks at how a marriage and two lives fall apart after the wife and husband enter into what seems, at first, a devil's pact they can win. Magnificent, eerie, utterly compelling, these stories comprise one of King's finest gifts to his constant reader--"I made them especially for you," says King. "Feel free to examine them, but please be careful. The best of them have teeth.""--… (more)
Member:zampinthelamp
Title:The Bazaar of Bad Dreams: Stories
Authors:Stephen King (Author)
Info:Scribner (2015), Edition: First Editiion, 512 pages

The Bazaar of Bad Dreams by Stephen King

Recently added byArina40, maniakus, NykiK, BorisKarasch, booklover3258, private library, vmccaffrey

English (83)  Piratical (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (86)
I love Stephen King’s short stories - they are always such a pleasure to read and I really love the fact that they’re basically mini Stephen King books that can be enjoyed during a lunch break - or - if you’re brave, right before bed.

What I Liked:

I love the fact that Stephen King introduces each story and gives it a little background

Ur was by far my favorite story - 1. It connects to the Dark Tower 2. An ereader that has access to all the books from ALL the worlds?!?! - Um, yes please.

Obits was also a really great story and reminded me a lot of “Everything’s Eventual” which was my favorite story in “Everything’s Eventual”

Ok - so basically i really just loved all the stories

What I Didn’t Like

Why weren’t there more stories?

So yeah - all in all I am never disappointed in Stephen King short story collections - they’re always great reads!
  artdamnit_reads | Jul 29, 2020 |
The Bazaar of Bad Dreams by Stephen King

A fantastic collection of short stories. Each has it's own theme. Some intense, thrilling, mind boggling and thought provoking, but all very good. I also enjoyed the introduction to each story, as he explained what motivated him to write (each) story. It was very interesting to get into the mind of my favorite Author. I highly recommend The Bazaar of Bad Dreams to fans of Stephen King and those who enjoy the Bazaar. ( )
  SheriAWilkinson | Jul 18, 2020 |

SheriAWilkinson | Jul 18, 2020 |

I read this book as part of Horror Afficonados January group read on Goodreads.

I honestly don't know what happened with this one. I usually love Stephen King's short stories and novellas. Heck I re-read them all of the time. Even though I may not love all of the stories, I still manage to love the entire collection as a whole. This time I either did not like, felt meh to okay, to just that's good about the stories. None of the stories floored me or had me sitting around checking my windows and doors to make sure that they stayed locked. Instead I was all, oh I hear a stair creaking and would go back to reading. That's not normal people!

Mile 81- (2 stars). I liked this one okay when it was first published as it's own standalone. Stephen King reworks it a bit and it really does not hang together well. I could read the old sections and new sections quite clearly and the flow was all wrong in this one. The main protagonist, Pete Simmons, in this one also was turned into more of a jerk too. I should not be rooting against you while reading. He is all of 10 years old and King gives him the mannerism of a 16 year old boy.

Premium Harmony- (1 star). I get what King was trying to say in this one, it just didn't work at all. I felt like I was being held down and forced to watch the aftermath of a car crash. I wasn't interested in anything that was going on at all.

Batman and Robin Have an Altercation- (2 stars). Once again I get what he was doing, the only thing that was surprising about this one was the end. Other than that, nothing moved me much that way or the other. King is usually able to imbue so much in his short story characters. I felt like the main character was totally flat in this one.

The Dune- (3 stars). Just because the ending was great. I knew it was coming, but since everything else in the story felt same old same old, this was a typical King ending that made me think of his stories in Graveyard Shift.

Bad Little Kid- (3 stars). Interesting premise, but this one should have been a novella. There was too much going on here and in the end things felt rushed.

A Death- (5 stars). I thought this one was really good. It actually left me with a big old question at the end too which was good. Part of me wonders if the ending as is is the true ending, or is someone else doing a sleight of hand.

The Bone Church- (1 star). Sorry, I could not get into this poem. I felt myself cringing in places.

Morality-(3 stars). Once again an interesting premise that did not have a satisfactory ending. I felt like I was reading someone else and not Stephen King. I keep wracking my brain, but I seriously feel like I may have read something similar to this before.

Afterlife- (5 stars). This was really good and I liked the whole set-up. One wonders though, what door would you choose if given an option?

Ur- (2 stars). I read this thing way back when it was the first free kindle short on Amazon. In fact I think it came for free with my Kindle. I remember thinking it was interesting them. It really doesn't hold up now. Back when Kindles were new it made a lot of sense for this story to be set up the way it is. However, I have to forget everything I know about my Kindle and just accept certain things. Just like with Mile 81, it is updated in certain places and it really should have been left alone.

Herman Wouk Is Still Alive- (5 stars). A tragic story from beginning to end.

Under the Weather- (3 stars). I knew where this was going from the very beginning. An okay story.

Blockade Billy- (3 stars). The first couple of pages were so boring. It took me a while to push through the story. It didn't get interesting until almost the very end.

Mister Yummy-(3 stars). Once again, an okay story. I really don't know what else to say besides I think it really didn't fit with the other stories that much.

Tommy-(1 star). All I could think of was being in college and when people did spoken poetry slams. Shudder.

The Little Green God of Agony-(3 stars). I was bored from beginning to end. I really don't know what to say since this is probably the second story that could be really seen as horror.

That Bus is Another World-(2.5 stars). This was not what I was expecting. And it really wasn't that great of a story.

Obits-(2 stars). I feel like I read this story before as well. Not exactly like this of course, but it reads similar to some other stories I have read.

Drunken Fireworks-(3 stars). Well I liked it better written than listening to it, that's for sure. I already listened to this last year and could not understand what the narrator was saying. Reading this was much better, though the story was still kind of meh.

Summer Thunder-(3 stars). I feel like King always seems to have these kind of and this is how the world end stories in his collection. This one felt anti-climatic though.

So all in all I wasn't blown away by the whole collection. I really didn't feel horror while reading these stories for the most part. Most of the stories just seemed sad and tragic. Which really don't fit with the prologue that King sets up for his constant readers. I thought I was going to be scared to the point of leaving my lights on. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
King, you old monster,
what is it with you and pets?
leave the dogs alone! ( )
  Eggpants | Jun 25, 2020 |

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Milla Soler, CarlosTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I shoot from the hip and keep a stiff uper lip.

(Je dégaine mon flingue et je garde mon flegme.)

AC/DC
I've made some things for you, Constant eader; you se them laid out before you in the moonlight. But before you look at the little handcrafted treasures I have for sale, let's talk about them for a bit, shall we? It won't take long. Here, sit down beside me. And do come a little closer. I don't bite.

Except...we've known each other for a very long time, and I suspect you know that's not entirely true.

Is it?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,766,849 books! | Top bar: Always visible