The Science of Interstellar by Kip Thorne

The Science of Interstellar (original 2014; edition 2014)

by Kip Thorne (Author), Christopher Nolan (Foreword)

204690,903 (4.13)2
"Interstellar, from acclaimed filmmaker Christopher Nolan, takes us on a fantastic voyage far beyond our solar system. Yet in The Science of Interstellar, Kip Thorne, the physicist who assisted Nolan on the scientific aspects of Interstellar, shows us that the movie's jaw-dropping events and stunning, never-before-attempted visuals are grounded in real science. Thorne shares his experiences working as the science adviser on the film and then moves on to the science itself. In chapters on wormholes, black holes, interstellar travel, and much more, Thorne's scientific insights many of them triggered during the actual scripting and shooting of Interstellar, describe the physical laws that govern our universe and the truly astounding phenomena that those laws make possible."--Publisher's description.… (more)
Member:Hicham26
Title:The Science of Interstellar
Authors:Kip Thorne (Author)
Other authors:Christopher Nolan (Foreword)
Info:W. W. Norton & Company (2014), Edition: 1, 336 pages

The Science of Interstellar by Kip Thorne (2014)

A companion piece to the incredible 2014 sci-fi film Interstellar, Nobel Prize-winning physicist Kip Thorne's book is more than a few degrees of difficulty above your usual popular science book. Deeply involved in the development of the film, Thorne goes into great detail (often technical) about how he ensured the science used in the film was feasible. He created complex equations that kept the filmmakers honest (the equations on Michael Caine's blackboard in the film are real ones created by Thorne and written by him personally on set) and in this book he delves into fearsomely complex concepts such as fifth dimensions, wormholes, black hole accretion disks and tesseracts.

Thorne's endeavours helped ensure that Interstellar became one of the most visionary, awe-inspiring and intellectually-stimulating creations ever put to film, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit unmanned when reading his book. There are scientists out there better able to get complicated ideas across to the general reader, whereas Thorne too easily gets technical and the book can be tough going. Nevertheless, the raison d'être of the book is 'show your working', and Thorne certainly does this. It is a great achievement and adds its considerable academic weight to the creative force that is Interstellar. ( )
  Mike_F | Mar 17, 2019 |
Although I generally prefer books like this in the audio format because it makes me feel as though I'm taking a class and having it explained to me rather than slogging through an astrophysics book that I'll never comprehend, I did miss out on the figures Mr. Thorne kept referring to which would have helped a great deal as an A/V aid. ( )
  knp4597 | Mar 19, 2018 |
Excellent companion piece to Christopher Nolan's Interstellar. While the movie stands strongly on its own, this book adds to the pleasures of the film immensenly by providing scientific context. ( )
  ajungherr | Mar 15, 2018 |
Spacetime wormholes, black holes, extradimensionality, and other science topics relevant to the movie _Interstellar_, in the making of which astrophysicist Thorne was involved. Rich with color diagrams and other imagery. Best read after seeing the movie, which I had not done.
  fpagan | May 5, 2015 |
I enjoyed it, but I was a little disappointed. Should be called, "The Physics of Interstellar." That's all it covers. ( )
  JessiAdams | Dec 7, 2014 |

Thorne, Kipprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nolan, ChristopherForewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,330,639 books! | Top bar: Always visible