Last Stop on Market Street (2015)

by Matt de la Peña

Other authors: Christian Robinson (Illustrator)

A young boy rides the bus across town with his grandmother and learns to appreciate the beauty in everyday things.

English (393)  Spanish (1)  All languages (394)
Great for primary and intermediate students, "Last Stop on Market Street" by Matt De La Pena teaches important lessons about gratitude, giving back, and finding beauty in simplicity. The story follows a boy on a bus journey with his grandma, exploring the value of experiences over materialistic things. ( )
  rachel.noordam | Feb 21, 2024 |
I would recommend this book for primary ages.
This book follows a young boy named CJ and his grandma as they travel via bus to the same spot every Sunday after church. CJ questions why they always have to ride the bus and why they don't have nice things like other people. Each question is approached with care and encouragement by his grandma who helps him see the beauty in helping others.
I would recommend this book be used as a read aloud to teach students about kindness and empathy and finding joy in the little moments of life.
  mlutey22 | Feb 18, 2024 |
- Age: Primary

- About a boy and his grandma going to the help at a soup kitchen after church. The boy does not understand why they do not have a car or have to help.

- I might have it in my classroom but would not read it out loud as some students might eat at soup kitchens and may not want to be reminded of it.
  sabmcd | Feb 5, 2024 |
This book would be good for primary or intermediate students. This book is "Last Stop on Market Street" written by Matt De La Pena, illustrated byChristian Robinson, and published in 2015. This book is about a boy that is on the bus with his grandma and he is wondering why he has to go here and why other people have so many more things than him. His grandma keeps reminding him that they don't need all of these materialistic things and then they arrive at the soup kitchen and he is grateful that they went because they get to give food to people in need and he realizes that he actually has a lot to be grateful for. I would for sure use this in my class because it teaches kids that we don't need all of these fancy things, that it is important to give back, that there are always people with less than you, and that you can find beauty from seeing dirty things.
  kcochell23 | Jan 31, 2024 |
This book is an award-winner! It features a young boy and his grandmother coming home from church who volunteer at the soup kitchen every week. It is focused on the theme of helping others and seeing the good where it might be difficult to see it. I think this book would be great from 1st-3rd grade. I would use this in my classroom as a conversation starter about either volunteering/acts of kindness or talking about how we can see beautiful things in everyday life. ( )
  mmulvany22 | Jan 29, 2024 |

Matt de la Peñaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Robinson, ChristianIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Awards

Notable Lists

For Luna and her two grandmas, Roni and Grace -- M. de la P.

For Nana --C.R.
CJ pushed through the church doors, skipped down the steps.

Every Sunday after church, CJ and his grandma ride the bus across town. But today CJ has a lot of questions. Each question is met with an encouraging answer from grandma, who helps him see the beauty - and fun - in their routine and the world around them. This energetic ride through a bustling city highlights the ways that we're all different and we're equal.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 201,802,711 books! | Top bar: Always visible