Last Stop On Market Street by Matt de la…

Last Stop On Market Street (original 2015; edition 2015)

by Matt de la Peña (Author)

Member:mommyofmanyblessings
Title:Last Stop On Market Street
Authors:Matt de la Peña (Author)
Info:The Penguin Group (2015)

Last Stop on Market Street by Matt de la Peña (2015)

English (315)  Spanish (1)  All languages (316)
Illustrations contain texture and panels. An incredibly inviting, lovely story about a little boy riding the bus with his grandmother after church. Some really important lessons in this story about seeing beauty, giving no matter how much or little you have, and about acceptance. ( )
  JenniferSprinkle | Jun 20, 2019 |
I enjoyed Last Stop on Market Street because it is very relatable. I like that Nana answers CJ questions in a positive light and helps him see that everyone is unique in their way. ( )
  rrc204 | Apr 13, 2019 |
I liked this book for a couple of reasons. One reason I liked this book is because it pushes readers to broaden their perspectives. The story really makes you think about what you can and can't relate to.. It causes you to think about all of the things you do have rather than don't and gain a deeper appreciation for the things that you do have. When CJ is complaining about why he has to take the bus or why he doesn't have an iPod, by the end of the book it makes the reader really look at what's important. Another reason I liked this book was the characters. The characters were written very well and were believable. I could see myself in some of the characters and see other people in my life being some of the characters which I thought was really cool. I could relate to CJ sometimes when he was complaining about not having certain things that other people have and I could see an older person in my life behaving a lot like CJ's grandmother when he would complain. By having the characters being someone who is relatable it makes the deeper meaning a lot more relatable which makes the story more enjoyable. The main idea of the book is to be grateful for what you have and to help others. In the story, CJ is seen complaining a lot about what he doesn't have such as an iPod or a guitar, but he learns that helping others is what is really important when he goes to the soup kitchen to help others. ( )
  KayleeWolbert | Apr 4, 2019 |
Last Stop On Market Street is another book I loved reading. One of the things I liked about this book is how relatable it is even to me. For example, I can relate to CJ because I found myself comparing myself to others and throughout this book he compares himself. He compares himself when he asked why do they not have a car. I also relate to CJ because I also get curious about people. For example, he became curious as to why the one man could not see. I also like the point of view of this story because it is in the third and this way I can hear what CJ and Nana have to say. I also like that in the third person I am able to see their relationship more because I can tell in this story that CJ notices the less pleasant things whereas Nana tries to notice the beauty in everything. One other thing I like in the book is the illustrations because they display the emotion but they are kid friendly. For example, on the bus none of the people are scary they are just different and that is emphasized. The big message of the story is that it is important to give back to others even if you don’t have everything you want for yourself. Throughout this book CJ questions many things such as why do they not have a car, why can’t that man see, he wishes he had a guitar, or that the place outside was filthy but overall he is thankful that he goes to the soup kitchen and helps others. ( )
  CaitlynShriver | Apr 3, 2019 |
"Last Stop on Market Street" by Matt de La Peña is a book that explores the different communities that one can encounter in the city. The grandmother in the book tries to emphasize to her grandson the beauty in what they find around the city. This book would be good for 2nd graders, explaining/writing how their home is different from their school/other community place they go to regularly. ( )
  lauraf3 | Mar 27, 2019 |

Matt de la Peñaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Robinson, ChristianIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Luna and her two grandmas, Roni and Grace -- M. de la P.

For Nana --C.R.
CJ pushed through the church doors, skipped down the steps.

Every Sunday after church, CJ and his grandma ride the bus across town. But today, CJ wonders why they don't own a car like his friend Colby. Why doesn’t he have an iPod like the boys on the bus? How come they always have to get off in the dirty part of town? Each question is met with an encouraging answer from grandma, who helps him see the beauty—and fun—in their routine and the world around them.

This energetic ride through a bustling city highlights the wonderful perspective only grandparent and grandchild can share, and comes to life through Matt de la Pena’s vibrant text and Christian Robinson’s radiant illustrations.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:25 -0400)

A young boy rides the bus across town with his grandmother and learns to appreciate the beauty in everyday things.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,696,358 books! | Top bar: Always visible