The Water and the Wild by K. E. Ormsbee

The Water and the Wild (edition 2015)

by K. E. Ormsbee (Author), Elsa Mora (Illustrator)

Member:reluctantm
Title:The Water and the Wild
Authors:K. E. Ormsbee (Author)
Other authors:Elsa Mora (Illustrator)
Info:Chronicle Books (2015), 448 pages
Collections:read in 2017, Read but unowned

The Water and the Wild by K. E. Ormsbee

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I love a good adventure through a strange land. The book is full of vivid details and alive characters. The author does a great job mixing important ideas with the trials and tribulations of still being a kid. Lots of excitement and details to keep adults interested along with young adults. :) ( )
  cottongirl7 | Jul 6, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
My inner 12-year-old self is pouting right now. Why? Because she wants MORE! Like yesterday. In all seriousness, I wasn't aware that The Water and the Wild was going to have a sequel. However, unlike a lot of the first books, mostly the YA ones, I've read in the last couple years, The Water and the Wild stands well on its own and enticed my natural curiosity about subtle unanswered questions (like where is this other place from whence King Starkling came and what is he exactly?) and what happens next for Lottie, Eliot, Fife, Oliver, Adelaide, and the rest of Limn. I must read the next book!

The worlds of New Kemble and Limn were vivid, "real" places. Enchanted trees, inside which were "elevators" used to travel between worlds, keens, the gengas - loved it all. I also loved that Lottie didn't have to act like an adult to show bravery, ingenuity and loyalty. She was even a little selfish, at first, in her quest to cure Eliot. She cried openly when any kid would naturally get emotional. But she didn't whine and she didn't have a chip on her shoulder. Plus, she's stubborn and doesn't back down from bullies.

There were many allusions - Alice in Wonderland, Narnia, The Hobbit, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, to name but a few - yet Ormsbee's story felt like its own with its own charm and whimsy.

4 stars ( )
  flying_monkeys | Dec 10, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I am a huge fan of middle grade novels, and have read more than my share of middle grade fiction. I was delighted when I found I would be receiving a copy of this book for review. Unfortunately, however, I could not get into it. It felt too much like what's been written before -- a contemporary fantasy with a slow, old-timey pace and kids dealing with life-and-death issues only they don't quite understand but only they can handle. If you are looking for a book with that type of theme and tone, then THE WATER AND THE WILD may be just up your alley. I, however, was left wanting something with a bit jauntier pace and fresher material. ( )
  Ella.Kennen | Oct 24, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Water and the Wild is the kind of middle grade novel that reminds me why I haven’t stopped reading them. Ormsbee’s prose is gorgeous, and the story magical.

Ormsbee throws references to a number of classic tales, most notably Shakespeare’s Midsummer Night’s Dream and Spenser’s The Fairy Queen. Achieving a novel that will have equal but varied appeal to young readers and adults a like is tough to do but I think Ormsbee has pulled it off.

The characters shine, but I still wish the book had been a bit more feelsy. It felt a bit safe. Despite the supposed danger, I was never worried about the young heroes. I do think they’re all fabulous, though Lottie is my least favorite of the main four. Oliver’s adorably bashful and I love his poetry quoting. Adelaide is a bit of a bitch so obviously I think she’s great. Fife is basically a sassy, pranking, bantery boy and he’s very reminiscent of Keefe so he’s my favorite.

Actually, I feel like both characters and plot were a bit cheated by the rushed ending. There are a couple of potential adorable middle grade ships, but nothing is done with them. The question of what will happen in the land of the sprites is also left open. Thankfully, my googling indicates that Ormsbee is working on a sequel, which I .will most definitely be reading. Still, The Water and the Wild was solidly a four star read for me until the ending proved so clunky. They did a lot of wandering in order to get permission to wander more to finally get to where they were going. It was sort of a boring quest, because they didn’t really accomplish anything on the way.

If you’ve not already started, you will want to add The Water and the Wild to your to-read list, but you might want wait until the sequel comes out in 2016 so that the ending doesn’t prove quite so frustrating. ( )
  A_Reader_of_Fictions | Aug 4, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Young orphan Lottie Fiske just can't seem to find anywhere to belong in the coastal town of New Kemble. Living under the nose of the grouchy Mrs. Yates, her only peace is found in friendship with another outcast named Eliot. But Eliot is sick, and now that his illness has taken a turn for the worse, Lottie will do anything to save him - even cross a dangerous new world, for example.
The Water and the Wild takes its readers on an exciting adventure that tests Lottie's bravery to its fullest extent. The characters are well developed and likeable, though believably imperfect, and the writing style is elegantly poetic without being overly flourished. This is certainly a good read for young readers, and enjoyable for adults as well. I look forward to further installments to the series.
That being said, the ending felt quite rushed and the final resolution was almost all too simple. Even the writing seemed to change for the last couple of climaxes - they were more disjointed and unclear. It almost seemed like Ormsbee recognized how simple it was really turning out to be and tried to cloak it in a bit of ambiguity, leaving the reader somewhat unclear. The result, in my opinion, drew too much attention to the simply tied loose ends as the reader was forced to read between the lines too much and then discover there wasn't much there after all.
In conclusion, I hold to my opinion that this was an enjoyable read and certainly a good choice for a younger audience. I expect that, should the adventure continue, the series would be very successful. One final thing, however, which confused me was that the book was called the Water and the Wild. So far as I can see it, water and wild played a pretty small part in the overall story. ( )
  Sambelini | Jul 19, 2015 |

K. E. Ormsbeeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Mora, ElsaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

K. E. Ormsbee's book The Water and the Wild was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,153,004 books! | Top bar: Always visible