Christmas Present

by Jodi Taylor

Series: The Chronicles of St Mary's (4.1 novella), The Chronicles of St Mary's {Chronological Order} (novella 4.5)

It's Christmas Eve at St Mary's, And all through the house, Nothing is stirring ...Except for Max, Peterson, and Markham, sneaking out at midnight for an assignment that is very definitely off the books. It's ten years ago tonight that Senior Historians Bashford and Grey went missing in twelfth-century Jerusalem. So how did they end up in AD60 Roman Colchester? Max has a theory. Peterson has a plan. Markham has bacon sandwiches. Colchester has Boudicca and her bloodthirsty Iceni hordes. And then there's the giant pig ... the enraged giant pig ...… (more)

Nice and cute short story with our intrepid fools, but at least this time they're going off-books on a time-jaunt for a *good* reason.

Here piggy, piggy, piggy! :)

Definitely grin-worthy. ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
Kleio, the Muse of History, sets in motion another St Mary's adventure by taking Max to one event ten years in the past and one event in the immediate future, which is a result of the former. Unsurprisingly, Max decides to act. Taking Peterson and Markham with her on a trip that's very much off the books, she travels to Colchester in AD60, immediately before Boudicca decides to raze the town to the ground. The usual St Mary's mayhem ensues.

I'm reading the series in sequence, and I got the impression that the events described in this short story will have a bearing on subsequent novels. Jodi Taylor's decision to focus not only on the relationship between Maxwell and Leon, but also on other characters at St Mary's, pays dividends, and I see each story as the opportunity to revisit old friends. I'm already looking forward to the next title in the series. ( )
  passion4reading | Mar 16, 2020 |
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

While I've enjoyed all short stories up to this one, they were nice additions but in order to follow the story of the main series, they weren't necessary. Now however, with Christmas Present (another Christmas short story) I would say this is the case, as the events from this short story have certain important consequences in the next books.

I did wonder when I was reading why they didn't do this earlier, but this in no way spoiled the fun. Everything is nicely St Mary's as always. ( )
  Floratina | Dec 7, 2019 |
Its Christmas and time for their usual caper for their celebration. Let's rescue our lost historians, from Ronan, before they get run over by Queen Boadicea and her hoards. Nothing to it? Right! ( )
  jamespurcell | Sep 2, 2019 |
The Chronicles of St. Mary's series is a madcap time traveling adventure that I simply cannot resist. I also enjoy the short stories that Jodi Taylor releases in between the books. Typically, they are complete side trips from the storylines in the books but this one is an exception. I had heard that this one really should be read before book 5 because events of this one explain the presence of a character in that book.

I was going to listen to it anyway but if you tend to skip the short stories connected to series don't do that with this one.

The audio edition narrated by Zara Ramm is delightful. I think she manages to capture Max's sarcasm quite well in her narration.

A quick off the books trip to try to accomplish something good turns into the typical disasterfest that most St. Mary's missions become.

Just read the series. It's a blast. ( )
  SuziQoregon | May 2, 2019 |

Jodi Taylorprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ramm, ZaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I thought it was a dream.

It's Christmas Eve at St Mary's, And all through the house, Nothing is stirring ... Except for Max, Peterson, and Markham, sneaking out at midnight for an assignment that is very definitely off the books. It's ten years ago tonight that Senior Historians Bashford and Grey went missing in twelfth-century Jerusalem. So how did they end up in AD60 Roman Colchester? Max has a theory. Peterson has a plan. Markham has bacon sandwiches. Colchester has Boudicca and her bloodthirsty Iceni hordes. And then there's the giant pig ... the enraged giant pig. [retrieved 9/6/2016 from Amazon.com]
Maxwell rescues two
missing historians from
burning Colchester.
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,241,375 books! | Top bar: Always visible