Crystal Keepers (2015)

by Brandon Mull

Series: Five Kingdoms (3)

Cole Randolph ventures to a new kingdom as he continues his search for his friends -- and also pursues his quest to mend what has gone awry with the magic in The Outskirts.

The first book was a little rough, not terrible but a little rough. The second book was much better. I think it is safe to say that the third book is the best so far. I really liked this one... ( )
  mcsp | Jan 25, 2021 |
This is the third book in The Five Kingdoms series and was a well done continuation of that series. I am enjoying this a lot more than the Beyonders series but not as much as Mull's Fablehaven series. A lot happens in this book, it was fast-paced and entertaining.

In this book Cole and his friends journey to the Kingdom of Zeropolis in an effort to find both Mira’s sister Constance and Cole’s friends from his old home of Arizona.

This book has more of a sci-fi feel to it as our characters journey to the high tech realm of Zeropolis. The Kingdom of Zeropolis was incredibly well developed and very interesting to read about. Their technology is somewhat higher tech than our modern world but uses the power of crystals to run everything. Some of the technology the characters use in this book is incredibly interesting and fun to read about.

There are some pretty big surprises in this book as we run into more of Cole’s friends from Arizona. We also finally meet the mysterious Hunter who's been tracking Cole and his friends.

I really enjoy all of the characters and the amazingly creative worlds in this series. We do meet a ton of new characters in Zeropolis; it was a bit much at times...but never too overwhelming to keep track of them all. I am a bit worried that with the number of characters we meet in each subsequent realm there are just going to be too many by the end of the series.

This book ties in very well with the previous books too. Mull has a afterward at the end explaining about future books in the series and how they tie in with the Beyonders books. He also mentions that there will be a follow-up Fablehaven series, yay!!

Overall this was a great book in the Five Kingdoms series. I love the creative worlds and how detailed they are. I enjoyed all the action and twists and turns in this story as well. We meet many new interesting characters in this book this time around too. The highlight by far is the awesome world of Zeropolis. I would definitely recommend this series to those who have enjoyed Mull’s previous books and to those who enjoy middle grade fantasy reads. ( )
  krau0098 | Oct 24, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,629,462 books! | Top bar: Always visible