The Mediterranean Caper (Dirk Pitt…

The Mediterranean Caper (Dirk Pitt Adventure) (edition 2004)

by Clive Cussler

Series: Dirk Pitt (1)

On an isolated Greek island, a World War I fighter plane attacks a modern U.S. Air Force base; a mysterious saboteur preys on an American scientific expedition; and Dirk Pitt plays a deadly game of hunter and hunted with the elusive head of an international smuggling ring. Reissue.
Member:Colonino
Title:The Mediterranean Caper (Dirk Pitt Adventure)
Authors:Clive Cussler
Info:Berkley (2004), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Read
Rating:***

The Mediterranean Caper by Clive Cussler

English (28)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (30)
Dirk Pitt is een ***hole.

Onze held Dirk Pitt slaat een huilende vrouw, want ze is nog steeds verdrietig over de dood van haar man. Vervolgens verteld hij deze vrouw dat ze eigenlijk over de knie zou moeten omdat ze nog steeds rouwt. Daarna heeft hij seks met deze vrouw.
Dit alles binnen zes minuten nadat hij deze vrouw ontmoette.

Het verhaal begint leuk, met een vliegtuig uit de Eerste Wereldoorlog, die het gemunt heeft op de basis van de Amerikaanse luchtmacht in Griekenland. In een paar minuten tijd heeft dit antieke toestel de hele luchtvloot op die basis vernietigd. ( )
  EdwinKort | Oct 18, 2019 |
campy like a stupid 70s flick on late night tv. ( )
  AnnaHernandez | Oct 17, 2019 |
Mayday! is the first book in the Dirk Pitt series, written by world-renowned and bestselling author, Clive Cussler, which has been re-released forty years after its initial print, by Penguin Books. For many readers this will be their first time at being introduced to the series, for others it will be an opportunity to reminisce in Dirk Pitt's first adventure. Whichever way you want to look at it though, one thing is for sure, this was the first step into stardom for both Clive Cussler and Dirk Pitt. Filled with adventure, action, and an extremely well-thought out plot, Mayday! is one of those books you can re-read almost every year.

There's a reason why Clive Cussler books sell so well, they are well-written and the storyline is on-going, which makes it a wonderful read for those people who enjoy delving into series'. By reading the books, you can actually see the growth of both the author and the character (Dirk Pitt), who is a loveable character in all regards.

I wouldn't say I'm a connoisseur when it comes to the Dirk Pitt series, but I'm always keen on reading stuff out of my comfort zone, and seeing as I started my exploration of the series with the last book in the series (Poseidon's Arrow), I must say that reading Mayday! was definitely worth the read. In fact, I think I will continue reading the series, just to see how the evolution between writer and character develops over the years. In other words, I very much enjoyed the book and I'm sure that many new readers will find a lot of pleasure in this series, especially if they're into espionage adventures.

What's more is that the copy I read was a commemorative edition, meaning it's probably going to be a collector's item, which was a total win in my opinion.

My verdict in a nutshell is thus: if you haven't gotten your hands on Dirk Pitt yet, you're going to want to start with Mayday! and if you enjoy espionage adventures, you're going to love it.

(review originally posted on www.killeraphrodite.com) ( )
  MoniqueSnyman | Oct 3, 2019 |
Enjoyed it ( )
  MustangGuy | Aug 18, 2019 |
St. Barts 2019 #2 - So, I decided to take a break from the NUMA FIles book series where i started with Cussler and go back to the beginning of Cussler and do the Dirk Pitt series....and of course, i grabbed the earliest published of them to take on my Caribbean vacation, only to find out that it really is No.2.....but be that as it may......i enjoyed this and flew through it, although early on, I kind of felt like Dirk Pitt was a bit of a jerk....not quite as classy as the Kurt Austin I know and respect.....but being that this was written a very long time before what i have read thus far of Cussler, I guess it is perfectly understandable that his characters grow more refined over time as does the author spinning his craft. This was pretty much 'in your face' writing.....i just sort of felt like Dirk Pitt barged in on an event not of his choosing and immediately took command of the whole program.....incredible insight....tough talk to everyone, including his partners in whatever it is they are supposed to be doing.....and a wee bit more edgy than seemed realistic to me.....but compared to what i could write??...pretty damned good! (But right now, I'd rather hang with Kurt Austin than Dirk Pitt.....but we just met!) This may take time. I very much appreciate the comparison i now have from early Cussler work to later work....and i look forward to 'stepping back' one volume and 're-starting' from the 'beginning!' ( )
  jeffome | Jan 7, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

TEA DUE (295)
To Amy and Eric,

long may they wave.
It was oven hot, and it was Sunday.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,437,691 books! | Top bar: Always visible