The Invisible Library by Genevieve Cogman

The Invisible Library

by Genevieve Cogman

Series: The Invisible Library (1)

English (110)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (113)
I really enjoyed this twist on what it is to be a dedicated librarian. Filled with magic, dragons, mystery and intriguing characters, I highly recommend this book. ( )
  Velmeran | Jan 26, 2019 |
Imagine there are many worlds, they are different in terms of rules. In some magic is supreme, in others – technology, in yet others they are mixed. Some are close to order, others are on the brink of chaos. What links these worlds is the Library. The Librarians there are not flail ladies, who supply you with books you ask but strong in body and mind agents who collect (usually illegally) book in many worlds and take them to the Library. And there are dragons…
This fast-paced novel has a very interesting premise but for me it fell short. While I enjoyed the reading, ideas and characters, it is clear that the author has never envisioned it as a stand alone, but as a series of undefined length, where the tem will go here and there and always win at the end.
Recommended if you like fantasy steampunk and need an easy way to spend a few evenings.
  Oleksandr_Zholud | Jan 9, 2019 |
I had to abandon this one. I couldn't make it past the first couple of chapters. Not for me.... ( )
  patriciau | Dec 27, 2018 |
3 and 1/2 stars

What a fun read this was! Novels dealing with books exert a strong appeal on a compulsive reader, and this one is no exception: what’s more, the titular Invisible Library is a fascinating entity in and of itself. First, because it’s a huge repository for incredible amounts of books, and second because of its location: the story postulates that there are many parallel realities coexisting next to one another, and the Library is located in a place belonging to none of them, a location where space and time have practically no meaning. Dusty volumes fill up row upon row of shelves, while modern computers are strategically placed where Librarians might need them, and from the occasional window one can at times see cobble-paved streets lit by gas-lamps. As I said, fascinating... [...]

Read the full review at SPACE and SORCERY BLOG ( )
  SpaceandSorcery | Dec 25, 2018 |
I liked it ok. The magic system is the most interesting part. The writing is a bit more tell than show than I like, but the characters and the hooks are enough that I'll probably keep reading the series, given the opportunity. I think it's queer, too? Nothing explicit really stated, but alluded to. ( )
  emeraldreverie | Nov 15, 2018 |

Genevieve Cogmanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Auerbach, AdamIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Duerden, SusanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thank you to everyone who helped with this book. Thank you to my agent, Lucienne Diver, who is awesome and whom I still can't quite believe I got as an agent, and my editor, Bella Pagan, who is fantastic and turned this into a much better book than it was originally.

Thank you to all my readers, supporters, and friends, including but not limited to Beth, Jeanne, April, Anne, Phyllis, Nora, Walter, Em, Jennifer, Stuart, Elaine, Lisa, Hazel, and Noelle. You are all cool and awesome.

And thank you, now and always, to my parents.
Irene passed the mop across the stone floor in smooth, careful strokes, idly admiring the gleam of wet flagstones in the lantern-light.
Somewhere amidst the confusion he (Vale) had found time to rearrange his books, after the disorder Irene had inflicted on them, and neat piles of half-sorted literature sat around his chair like patient children.
Kai sipped his own tea (no milk, no sugar, black and brooding) and watched the two of them.
But the physical world wasn't shaken by a dragon's roar. Reality itself trembled.
Kai frowned and offered her his arm Maybe he really thought she was that badly injured. Or possibly possessiveness was a characteristic of draconian affection. They were supposed to be hoarders, after all. Not so different from Librarians.

"As a Librarian, Irene spends her time traveling between worlds and acquiring books of power. When her supervisor pairs her with new recruit Kai and gives them orders to retrieve a Grimm manuscript from an alternate 19th-century London located in a "chaos-infested" world -- well, basically, anything can happen (and does)." - NoveList Plus description by Gillian Speace.
These Librarians
not only acquire books
but also kick ass!
(passion4reading)

"Collecting books can be a dangerous prospect in this fun, time-traveling, fantasy adventure from a spectacular debut author. One thing any Librarian will tell you: the truth is much stranger than fiction... Irene is a professional spy for the mysterious Library, a shadowy organization that collects important works of fiction from all of the different realities. Most recently, she and her enigmatic assistant Kai have been sent to an alternative London. Their mission: Retrieve a particularly dangerous book. The problem: By the time they arrive, it's already been stolen. London's underground factions are prepared to fight to the death to find the tome before Irene and Kai do, a problem compounded by the fact that this world is chaos-infested--the laws of nature bent to allow supernatural creatures and unpredictable magic to run rampant. To make matters worse, Kai is hiding something--secrets that could be just as volatile as the chaos-filled world itself. Now Irene is caught in a puzzling web of deadly danger, conflicting clues, and sinister secret societies. And failure is not an option--because it isn't just Irene's reputation at stake, it's the nature of reality itself.."--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,522,045 books! | Top bar: Always visible