Nähtamatu raamatukogu by Geneviene Cogman

Nähtamatu raamatukogu (edition 2018)

by Geneviene Cogman

Series: Invisible Library (1)

"Collecting books can be a dangerous prospect in this fun, time-traveling, fantasy adventure from a spectacular debut author. One thing any Librarian will tell you: the truth is much stranger than fiction... Irene is a professional spy for the mysterious Library, a shadowy organization that collects important works of fiction from all of the different realities. Most recently, she and her enigmatic assistant Kai have been sent to an alternative London. Their mission: Retrieve a particularly dangerous book. The problem: By the time they arrive, it's already been stolen. London's underground factions are prepared to fight to the death to find the tome before Irene and Kai do, a problem compounded by the fact that this world is chaos-infested--the laws of nature bent to allow supernatural creatures and unpredictable magic to run rampant. To make matters worse, Kai is hiding something--secrets that could be just as volatile as the chaos-filled world itself. Now Irene is caught in a puzzling web of deadly danger, conflicting clues, and sinister secret societies. And failure is not an option--because it isn't just Irene's reputation at stake, it's the nature of reality itself.."--… (more)
Member:Enel.Pungas
Title:Nähtamatu raamatukogu
Authors:Geneviene Cogman
Info:Tallinn : Varrak, 2018

The Invisible Library by Genevieve Cogman (Author)

English (130)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (133)
A thoroughly enjoyable caper. Not too heavy and decent world building. I look forward to the sequel! ( )
  mmsmcetc | Sep 17, 2020 |
Great fun! Fabulously inventive! Will need to read the next one! This is for people who love books, people who love slightly daft British fantasy, people who love giggling if not outright laughter and facepalms, who love mysteries, who love the lighter side of steampunk, who want a book that’s pure satisfying entertainment. (So: me.) I’m not in out-and-out love with this like with some other series, but it’s darn close. So very darn. Definitely recommended.

8/10 ( )
  NinjaMuse | Jul 26, 2020 |
Hard to find books with original ideas. I definitely like the concept, but I'm not sure I want to read more books in the series. There's just so many damn books out there and not enough time. ( )
  billycongo | Jul 22, 2020 |
The downside of this brisk little book is that it is very much the first book of a series, and all the plot threads are not untangled at the end. The upside is that it is decently written and has scads of excellent ideas in it. There's too much explaining, however, and a fair number of dialogue scenes that exist only to tell rather than show.

The central construct of the invisible Library existing at the nexus of many alternate worlds is a neat one, especially its ambiguous construction and stasis effect on the lives of its inhabitants. The idea of chaos magic struggling against rational magic seems a little inconsistent. The various steampunk variations in the alternate world where the adventure takes place are engaging and scary. And the characters (the Sherlockian Vale, the draconian Kai, the scheming Bradamant, and the valiant Irene) are distinct and well drawn. Alberich is a bit of a nightmare antagonist whose motivations seem opaque, though.

I enjoyed the book, but I'm not sure I'm going to read the next installment right away. ( )
  dmturner | Jun 29, 2020 |
This book surprised me! Despite having a bit of a slow start, I liked pretty much every character, which is no small feat. It was fun to read, even though I'm not generally much for steampunk settings. I might continue with future books in the series so I can revisit the characters. ( )
  cygnoir | Jun 27, 2020 |

Cogman, GenevieveAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Auerbach, AdamIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Duerden, SusanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Thank you to everyone who helped with this book. Thank you to my agent, Lucienne Diver, who is awesome and whom I still can't quite believe I got as an agent, and my editor, Bella Pagan, who is fantastic and turned this into a much better book than it was originally.

Thank you to all my readers, supporters, and friends, including but not limited to Beth, Jeanne, April, Anne, Phyllis, Nora, Walter, Em, Jennifer, Stuart, Elaine, Lisa, Hazel, and Noelle. You are all cool and awesome.

And thank you, now and always, to my parents.
Irene passed the mop across the stone floor in smooth, careful strokes, idly admiring the gleam of wet flagstones in the lantern-light.
Somewhere amidst the confusion he (Vale) had found time to rearrange his books, after the disorder Irene had inflicted on them, and neat piles of half-sorted literature sat around his chair like patient children.
Kai sipped his own tea (no milk, no sugar, black and brooding) and watched the two of them.
But the physical world wasn't shaken by a dragon's roar. Reality itself trembled.
Kai frowned and offered her his arm Maybe he really thought she was that badly injured. Or possibly possessiveness was a characteristic of draconian affection. They were supposed to be hoarders, after all. Not so different from Librarians.

"As a Librarian, Irene spends her time traveling between worlds and acquiring books of power. When her supervisor pairs her with new recruit Kai and gives them orders to retrieve a Grimm manuscript from an alternate 19th-century London located in a "chaos-infested" world -- well, basically, anything can happen (and does)." - NoveList Plus description by Gillian Speace.
These Librarians
not only acquire books
but also kick ass!
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,743,287 books! | Top bar: Always visible