Etched in Bone by Anne Bishop

Etched in Bone

by Anne Bishop

I'm sorry that I have to say goodbye to one of my favorite series. However, I understand that Anne Bishop has announced she'll be returning to THE OTHERS world in 2018! I certainly enjoyed ETCHED IN BONE, in part, because it's narrower in scope then book 4 (which I also loved), which means that we get to spend more time with Meg & Simon and less with the rest of Thaisia. This character driven plot has a focal point around Cyrus James Montgomery, a con artist (and the family he drags along), who sees Lakeside as easy pickings because he has an in with his brother, mother and sister already in residence. Jimmy's presumptuous, arrogant, and just plain stupid if he believes that he can hide behind human laws in the Courtyard. The terra indigene mete out their own brand of justice and while it's ugly and barbaric, it certainly fit the crime. CJ's schemes escalate until he does the unthinkable. A shot to the heart would have probably hurt less!

Anyway, the citizens are busy picking up the pieces of whatever is left in the wake of Namid’s claws and teeth. Cel-Romano has practically fallen off the map, most of the land has been reclaimed by the wild country, and food rations abound in the surviving cities, including Lakeside. The Simple Life folk and the Intuits are thriving, and the Cassandra Sangue are still a work-in-progress, but for the average human, life is simply hard. Meg's female pack make inroads with the Others by breaking bread together for the first time, and two Elders observe it all like some twisted science experiment.

There are several delightful moments in this book which I'd found to be lacking in the previous volume. Skippy will surprise you; also we see first hand what happens when a cassandra sangue previous cuts are crossed with new cuts; Meg Corbyn's saved in the wild because she's the howling not-Wolf, and, yes, something DOES happen between Simon & Meg on the romantic front but don't get your hopes set too high.
I would certainly have been happier if there was another book in this series to answer some of my remaining questions but I'd have to say Etched in Bone was certainly a happy finale and I look forward to additional OTHER books in the future.
Jack Murphy ( )
  urph818 | Apr 17, 2017 |
This turned out to be my favorite book in the series. It is a really great series so that is saying a lot. It took me almost a week to read this book. Not because it was slow but because I was extremely busy with work. Anytime I had a free moment, I had this book in my hands and I enjoyed everything I read. There were some moments that really stayed with me and one scene was so touching that I had to stop reading so that I could share what was happening with my family. It was a really nice conclusion to the story revolving around this group of characters.

Some of the earlier books in the series spent quite a bit of time away from the Courtyard. This book stays with Meg, Simon, and the other characters living within the Courtyard which I actually liked a whole lot better. This book has a big focus on the humans that have become a part of the community, including Jimmy and his family who are new additions. The Others and the humans are working well together and things are looking really promising except that Jimmy and his family are not making life easy.

Jimmy is Lt. Montgomery's brother. Montgomery actually has his entire family at the Courtyard including his mother, daughter, sister, and her daughters. He didn't invite his brother who has been a trouble maker and criminal for years. Jimmy finds out where they are and shows up and starts causing trouble the moment he arrives. It was really easy to hate Jimmy and his wife was no better.

It has been really nice to see this group of characters grow and their relationships develop over the course of the series. Simon and Meg become closer with each book and some of the humans are also becoming very attached. Montgomery's mother, Twyla, was amazing in this book. She says what needs to be said and is firm but extremely caring. There is a scene with Skippy that really moved me and Twyla's reaction to everything made it even more. This is a series that really does need to be read in order since each book builds upon the previous one.

I would highly recommend this series to fans of urban fiction. I am looking forward to future books in this series even though they are supposed to be about a different group of characters. I have my fingers crossed that we will get a least a glimpse of these characters again.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Berkley Publishing Group - Roc via NetGalley. ( )
  Carolesrandomlife | Apr 3, 2017 |
Full review to come.

Notes:

-This is the aftermath. What happens after a huge upheaval? Back to normal? Or are there smaller threats to deal with?

-Not many book series deal with what happens after the confrontation with the big bad; just a small epilogue to see if the main pair gets together with a hint of a happy-ever-after.

-I also like the fact that the books feature shapeshifters who don't go Hulk, all-dominating, caveman-behavior to show their alpha tendencies.

-Anne Bishop's books have special snowflakes in them but the book worlds didn't revolve solely around them making the story absurd and ridiculous.

-I love how she writes and deals with everything, everyone, and each and every facet. ( )
  Ayanami_Faerudo | Mar 20, 2017 |
I just read that this is the last book in this arc. I'm not sure what that means for sure, whether there will be another sequel series or only something related. If it's the latter, I was hoping for more out of this last book. If the former, than I suppose I can wait for more. This was an engaging story and kept me hooked for most of the way. A good addition to the story, but I really wanted more romance from Simon and Meg. Can't decide why I wanted it so much - maybe because there was a lot of potential there and it was hinted at over and over again. Regardless, as stories go, this was a good one. Check the series out some time. ( )
  Kassilem | Mar 15, 2017 |
I really love this series. It's an alternate world unlike anything else I've read. It's different enough from Bishop's other series not to be repetitive, but has some of the same elements (good vs. evil, an unbreakable moral code, sexual trauma, humor, and just a touch of romance) that make all her work compelling. ( )
  Bodagirl | Mar 12, 2017 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,886,171 books! | Top bar: Always visible