Etched in Bone by Anne Bishop

Etched in Bone

by Anne Bishop

Full review to come.

Notes:

-This is the aftermath. What happens after a huge upheaval? Back to normal? Or are there smaller threats to deal with?

-Not many book series deal with what happens after the confrontation with the big bad; just a small epilogue to see if the main pair gets together with a hint of a happy-ever-after.

-I also like the fact that the books feature shapeshifters who don't go Hulk, all-dominating, caveman-behavior to show their alpha tendencies.

-Anne Bishop's books have special snowflakes in them but the book worlds didn't revolve solely around them making the story absurd and ridiculous.

-I love how she writes and deals with everything, everyone, and each and every facet. ( )
  Ayanami_Faerudo | Mar 20, 2017 |
I just read that this is the last book in this arc. I'm not sure what that means for sure, whether there will be another sequel series or only something related. If it's the latter, I was hoping for more out of this last book. If the former, than I suppose I can wait for more. This was an engaging story and kept me hooked for most of the way. A good addition to the story, but I really wanted more romance from Simon and Meg. Can't decide why I wanted it so much - maybe because there was a lot of potential there and it was hinted at over and over again. Regardless, as stories go, this was a good one. Check the series out some time. ( )
  Kassilem | Mar 15, 2017 |
I really love this series. It's an alternate world unlike anything else I've read. It's different enough from Bishop's other series not to be repetitive, but has some of the same elements (good vs. evil, an unbreakable moral code, sexual trauma, humor, and just a touch of romance) that make all her work compelling. ( )
  Bodagirl | Mar 12, 2017 |
Etched in Bone by Anne Bishop is the fifth and last book in The Others series, though I did hear there may be more books about Thaisia and its inhabitants.
This is a series that, at least in my opinion, needs to be read in order. The inhabitants of the Courtyard change subtly over the five books in various ways that culminate in Etched in Bone.
Meg Corbyn, the cassandra sangue, has mostly stopped cutting, suppressing the need by using her prophecy cards in lieu of the cutting euphoria. Things at the Courtyard have settled down; the Others and the humans are adjusting to living together after cataclysmic events of the previous books where the Humans First and Last movement tried to erase the terre indigene from all the lands.
The story builds slowly as Monty's brother 'Jimmy' and his family arrive to disrupt the fragile peace. While the other books dealt with bigger issues and movements, Etched in Bone is more about how this one bad apple can also cause destruction on a different scale. Jimmy is a grifter who mistreats his wife and children, takes advantage of his siblings and mother, and just generally causes trouble. Right from the beginning, the reader wants the Others to eat him, but Namid's Teeth and Claws make them accommodate him, wanting to learn more about this one human troublemaker.
The relationship between Meg and Simon Wolfgard has deepened. Meg is growing up, learning to deal with the real world after her years of confinement and Simon is patient while helping her adjust to new activities and changes.
There are some lighter moments; I especially liked the turkey hunt and the Elders asking for their treats. All in all, Etched in Bone is a satisfying conclusion to a wonderful series. ( )
  N.W.Moors | Mar 8, 2017 |
Fast and dirty-Meg becomes a humanal and humans can be horrible.
Meg has had such a hard time adjusting to an outside life. She has massive scars inside and out, many she will never recover from. She is human but not like the other humans. Finding a place where she can be comfortable to be alive in a constant struggle but she is finding a path and it’s not one traveled before. Love, is something she never considered, and when feelings come she fumbles and struggles with them.
Simon has a deep bond to this human but not girl. Is it more than his need to protect her, could it ever be more ? Poor Simon , he really has so much to deal with in this book.
The Elders set about judging, and finalizing their cleansing from the last book. They are watching always watching, but not always the best judges.

The relative that is like a black plague. We all have one. They manipulate, gossip, disrupt and make being related to them horrendous. Montgomery has the ring leader relative, his brother Jimmy. Jimmy couldn’t be any worse, and his black soul leeches out. There is nothing he isn’t willing to destroy to make his life easier.

I love Meg Simon, Sam, Skippy, Henry, Tess, Vlad, the Elders.. all of them except two which I completely HATE. Two despicable characters, but one is the turd topping on the turd pile, Jimmy. Oh don’t think me too harsh till you get to know him. I adore the beings in this world and when somebody messes with them they are messing with my friends. That is the kind of book Anne Bishop writes, she pulls me in makes me a part of her world.

That was the last book in Meg and Simon’s story ? Say it isn’t so, Anne Bishop. I didn’t get a resolved feeling. I wanted to see the follow through, the bing bang, or a puppy ? I need more, that did not feel like a rap up ! ( )
  TheYodamom | Mar 7, 2017 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,292,686 books! | Top bar: Always visible