Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

Six of Crows (2015)

by Leigh Bardugo

Series: Six of Crows (1)

The Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson (ajwseven)
    The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (ajwseven)
    Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce (wordcauldron)
    wordcauldron: Alanna's George was my first exposure to books about thieving, espionage, gangs, assassins, etc., and this book sort of seemed to me like an in-depth look at that side of life (though a little more violent than it would have been in Alanna's universe), plus Alanna's all about magic and dangerous adventures and such.… (more)
    A Darker Shade of Magic by V. E. Schwab (foggidawn)
    Night Angel Trilogy (3-in-1) by Brent Weeks (kylenapoli)

English (136)  Dutch (1)  All languages (137)
I think everything about this book was already said so I'm not gonna try to repeat it here but HOLY SHIT!!! HOLLY SHIT!!! IT WAS AMAZING!!!
I wanted to put some of my favourite quotes here but there's so many I would have to pretty much copy paste the whole book so just read it if you haven't and reread it if you have, yea?? ( )
  localbeehunter | Jan 15, 2019 |
This book is not what I would have picked up, but it was a club read, so here we go. This may be the reason for the low rating from me.
The author describes her genre as a tsarpunk, which means steampunk (nowadays mostly YA fantasy in the age of steam) which is heavily influenced by Russian culture, unlike the usual British one. This is the same universe as the authors earlier trilogy (which I haven’t read) but takes place in different countries with different set of characters, so can be read stand-alone.
The universe setting is more or less usual great battle between science/technology and magic. A technologically backward Ravka state (allusion to Russia) attempts to compete on the world stage with its Grisha (mages) vs island of Kerch (Holland/Britain) and others as well as a civil war. The magic it quite limited, takes time, needs short distances and line of sight, therefore in open battles loses to repeating rifles and artillery. At the same time given time and materials, some Grisha may create strong steel alloys, others – cure bodies or raise winds.
The story per se is, as can be deduced from a small font phrases on the cover is a version of Ocean [insert number] movies, where to execute an impossible heist a group of specialists is hired, in this case six persons. I dislike this people-function approach, where each character is just a thief or brawler or sweet-talker – is sets unnecessary limits. You can easily guess that there would be a great plan, where each character just in time performs his/her role, then things go south (because no plan can survive the reality) but our valiant team still wins the day. Just like James Bond movies, each time at the begging the hero get some equipment that seems unnecessary but that really delivers (classical pre-set deus ex machina).
The team is young, 15-17 years (I think to get a bit more YA readers) but they are the best in their respective trades, or at least very good (unrealistically so). Another plus for YA is that the team is 4 men and 2 women and (surprise, surprise!) they form two pairs with love-hate relations and of the last two the one is gay and another not that unwilling to try.
The dialogues are good, the story fast-paced, backstories of all team members quite interesting. This kept my interest. A small note that a heroine cried after her first kill is a plus for too man6y novels nowadays have murders without any pangs of conscience later.
What I disliked was:
No clear way to get what techno-level is there. There are ships with sails and horses for transportation, no horseless carriages or motor-boats and that BAM! A frigging tank with some kind of engine and quite modern in its components (quite unlike the early tanks)
A lot of cinematic effects, all these climbing, jumping around, using ventilation shafts, picking any lock with ease with just two needles, all necessary items just happened to be we and when needed. If there were lasers there would have been a cliché acrobatics not to tough them. And close calls on every step even despite it is clear that the team is needed for the plot so no one will die… ( )
  Oleksandr_Zholud | Jan 9, 2019 |
"When everyone knows you’re a monster, you needn’t waste time doing every monstrous thing."

It's hard to place exactly what it is about Leigh Bardugo's writing that makes it seem...simply okay to me. There's nothing wrong with it at all, but every book of hers that I have read as had that same level of "this is okay but that's all" to it. It isn't bad at all, and I find no fault in it, but it just doesn't excite me. It isn't styleless and the style that is there is good. It's really just an unnamable thing. I just don't particularly love her writing for some reason.

"The life you live, the hate you feel—it's poison. I can drink it no longer."
I went into this with very high expectations, and I feel like that was part of the reason why I found myself getting bored with this book very soon after starting it. While its themes were interesting and everyone loves a good heist, it wasn't as hard-hitting as I was expecting. I've read versions of every character before. I've read versions of the plot before (which was predictable and convenient far too often; they consistently easily escape situations that I would have preferred they have a harder time doing. It stripped the story of a lot of tension). None of it felt unique to me. It felt like an amalgamation of "edgy YA fantasy sci-fi" and not much else. Also, the characters didn't feel like teenagers except for maybe Nina, Wylan, and Inej, who all felt 18. Matthias felt like he was 30 or at least 25. Kaz felt distinctly 23, and Jesper felt 20. (Also, the bad guy just felt like the bad guy from Cassandra Clare's Infernal Devices trilogy and he's one of my least favorite YA villains of all time, so yeah.)

I did, however, like it. It has a nice aesthetic. Kaz was a very interesting character, and I think we have his dark past to thank for that. That scene when he pulled out a guy's eyeball and then tossed him overboard was cool. Inej was basically just Lila from Shades of Magic but less selfish and more likable, so that was alright. I enjoyed every character and I love the Grisha world, but I do miss the Darkling. He'll always be in my heart.

Greed may do your bidding, but death serves no man. ( )
  Faith_Murri | Jan 5, 2019 |
There's not much I can say about this that hasn't already been said. Leigh Bardugo builds an incredible world and introduces us to a (mostly) lovable cast of characters. I have not felt this immersed in a book in ages. I cannot wait to read the sequel and you better believe I'm adding the rest of Bardugo's books to my TBR. ( )
  samesfoley | Dec 26, 2018 |
unpopular opinion: I did not like this book as much as Shadow and Bone! I enjoyed the characters, and it was cool to see another part of this universe, but it was really slow starting for me. I want to say that I wasn't true invested until almost 200 pages in. I think I was also just expecting something different after reading the Grisha trilogy, and this one didn't hold as much magic for me. that said, it was enjoyable and I ended up immediately starting the second book. ( )
  distantiation | Dec 3, 2018 |

Leigh Bardugoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Deas, RichCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ward, AprilDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Kayte -- secret weapon, unexpected friend.
Joost had two problems: the moon and his mustache.

An audacious plan
Six dangerous criminals
Only one way out
(passion4reading)

"Six dangerous outcasts. One impossible heist. Kaz's crew is the only thing that might stand between the world and destruction--if they don't kill each other first"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,747,533 books! | Top bar: Always visible