Arrr! Pirate Flag(Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day) Thar be a hunt for treasure, Mateys!

Hello, Goodbye, and Everything in Between by…

Hello, Goodbye, and Everything in Between (edition 2015)

by Jennifer E. Smith (Author)

201989,599 (3.6)6
Member:seriesousbooks
Title:Hello, Goodbye, and Everything in Between
Authors:Jennifer E. Smith (Author)
Info:Poppy (2015), 256 pages
Tags:library, pass

Hello, Goodbye, and Everything in Between by Jennifer E. Smith

This is a sweet realistic book great for teens and 20 somethings to understans and put their high school sweatheart relationship into perspective. ( )
  Starla_Aurora | Oct 29, 2018 |
Clare and Aidan only have a day left before they decide whether or not they should break up and go their separate ways in college, and they decide on their decision by revisiting places with fond memories.

The depth and meaningfulness of this book didn't really hit me. I dated a guy my Senior year of high school. It didn't work out. We're still friends. Even the fine details weren't as dramatic as this book. The entire town knows about Clare and Aidan? This must be a small town.

Everything was so unnecessarily dramatic. Getting into a fist fight with your best friend the day before you have to leave for college? Said best friend ending up in jail? Note, the whole where you're going to college and what you're doing to do in college and whether or not your parents control your life is pretty accurate, on the other hand. Although, why is everyone going to an Ivy League?

Although, there were a ton of high school stereotypes. HS jock dates normal/smart girl. Smart girl's future roommate from NYC is apparently really snobbish and has St. in her name. (Why is it that New Yorkers always get this stereotype)? Goth girl, funny guy. The usual.

This book wasn't as touching as I thought it would be, because of all the drama and not as much of the actual relationship, but I'm glad the ending played out as it did. ( )
  raisinetta | Sep 25, 2017 |
Full review below:

Clare and Aidan are on the eve of the day they leave for their separate colleges across the country from each other. After going back and forth with options for months, it is finally time to decide if they are going to stay together or break up. Unfortunately, that is not as easy as they seem to think. Clare makes a list of all the important places in their life and plans for a full night of going down memory lane so that they can come to a reasonable decision together. Things do not go as planned and they are thrown off course and forced to face a lot more hard decisions than they originally thought. Now it is time to say goodbye to their friends, their parents, Clare’s dog, and finally each other… Will they stay together or break up?

Both of the main characters are pretty likable. I didn’t really feel Clare for a good part of the book because I thought she was being very selfish and making everyone’s life harder than it needed to be, but as I got to know her I was able to understand her more. Clare is practical to a fault and she has this fantastical idea about going away to college and starting the rest of her life. It is hard for her to look at Aidan in California while she is in New Hampshire and imagine their life together. Aidan, on the other hand, is the complete opposite. He sees his life and sees how big of part of it that Clare is and can’t image her in it. While Clare is practical and logical, Aidan is whimsical and spontaneous. He doesn’t want to plan out all the details of his life, but instead just see where the chips fall. I loved Aidan and thought he sounded so sweet. My heart hurt for him, as he had to begin to see that staying with Clare isn’t the only option. The supporting characters were great too. I loved Stella and her sass. I love that she puts Clare in her place and makes her realize that her problems aren’t the only problems. Scotty is like a lovable puppy. He makes poor choices but you know he is the type of friend that will always be there for you. I think their story would make for a great spin off story.

The book is very nostalgic in that I think we all have someone at some point in our lives that we have had to decide whether to stay or go (figuratively or literally). Because of that I was able to relate to both characters because I have been in both of their shoes at some point in my life. I think everyone will be able to relate to one of the characters in the book at least a little bit. Everyone has had to make hard choices and sometimes have made the wrong choice and had to live with it. This book is all about weighing the risk and the outcomes and trying to decide what is easier to live with.

Here is the thing with this book, you know it is going to end one of two ways: they break up or they stay together. That’s what it all ultimately boils down to. It ended how I thought, but the second prologue (once you read the book, you will understand) surprised me a little. Usually with these kinds of books, it ends and that’s it. We don’t get a peek into the future because that’s not what the story is about. I liked that we got a little glimpse of how the two fair a few months later. Though it is predictable, it is nothing if not sweet. I experienced lots of warm and fuzzies and closed the book with a smile on my face.

If you are looking for a quick, easy read then I encourage you to pick this one up. I read it all in about two hours and probably could have finished faster than that if I didn’t have to start and stop. Jennifer E. Smith’s books all have the same type of formula for the story, so if you like one of her books then this won’t be any exception. ( )
  leahlo89 | Nov 2, 2016 |
I was waiting eagerly for the final installment in the Lunar Chronicles. I had read Book 1 in the series with trepidation because fractured fairy tales have, in my own opinion, been a bit overdone as of late. But, if you read that previous review you will remember this, I was quickly hooked on the series as it was something I was not expecting at all.

The final book in the series did not disappointed. Packed with action, emotion and adventure - I loved every page. As was the case with the former books in the series, Meyer takes the reader on a spellbinding adventure. All of our favourite characters are included and by the end of the book, each character's tale has been spun to an ending (no spoilers on whether those are happy endings or not).

What I really enjoy about Meyer's writing is the level of detail that comes with it. She truly creates a world that draws the reader in. And her character development is envious. Each character in the series (even evil Levana) are painted with a fullness and depth that few books in this genre can achieve.

This series will stay on my favourites list for a long time! ( )
  cathishaw | Oct 27, 2016 |
Oh, Jennifer E. Smith, I can always count on you to both break my heart and make me sigh with contentment.

Is it later yet?
And here's the amazing thing: Now it was.

All the feels. ( )
  BillieBook | Mar 1, 2016 |

High school sweethearts Clare and Aidan spend the night before they leave for college reminiscing about their relationship and deciding whether they should stay together or break up.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,096,128 books! | Top bar: Always visible