Last Year's Mistake

by Gina Ciocca

Although Kelsey has fallen in love with her best friend, David, she cuts ties with him before moving from Connecticut to Rhode Island, believing they need a fresh start, but David moves nearby at the start of senior year, threatening Kelsey's relationship with Ryan.

Kelsey and David meet the summer before starting high school.
They are each visiting relatives when they learn David is transferring to Kelsey’s school.

In the current timeline, they are both seniors. Kelsey has been at a new school for more than a year. They’ve lost touch after some not yet revealed drama.
And now David is transferring to her school once again.

We know that he used to mean the world to Kelsey until something happened that caused her to stop talking to him altogether.

I’m not sure the reason ultimately made much sense.
Something bad did happen but other things happened afterwards that had more to do with their break.

I thought the story was cute and light but Kelsey was a bit overly dramatic sometimes. ( )
  Mishale1 | Dec 29, 2018 |
I didn't think she deserved either of them and hated that she got David at the end. He deserved better. But that's what I kind of liked. That the story didn't end in a "smart" way. It ended in a real way. I still think they'll make each other miserable in the long run, though. ( )
  lilrongal | Nov 20, 2017 |
Pensar que este libro sería bueno: This Year's Mistake. ( )
  Glire | Jun 22, 2016 |
Oh if only life came with a do over button! Most of us don't get the chance to fix something in our past but David and Kelsey did.
They became best friends when holidaying in Newport the summer before freshman year of high school. Through a series of unfortunate incidents and misunderstandings, they lost that friendship, Kelsey moved away from Norwood, where they both had lived and she started over in Newport at a new high school, new friends and soon a new boyfriend. But at the start of the year, she is shocked to see David stroll into her high school and soon he is dating her best friend while their huge elephant in the room is between them.
I have heard it said many times, that there is no such thing as just a friendship between a girl and a guy, that one always has a "more than friends" feeling towards the other. While Kelsey insists that David and she were just friends, her boyfriend Ryan thinks otherwise and David becomes a bone of contention between them.
I found this book to be a pretty accurate portrayal of teens and high school. It goes back and forth from David and Kelsey's past, to the present. There was so much foreshadowing to the "big mystery" of all that had transpired in the past, I did feel a little let down when it wasn't as earthshaking as what it was built up to. I was reading, thinking " get on with it", all the unspoken things were a bit repetitive and I just wanted to know what the big secret was.
It's an easy fast paced read, I read it in a day. There are a lot of low ratings on this goodreads site that surprised me. While it wasn't the most riveting book I've read, it covets many pertinent aspects of growing up as a teenager and dealing with all that comes with it and it was still enjoyable. ( )
  maggie1961 | Aug 13, 2015 |
This was a quick read for me; one that helped to be a pallet cleanser between The Martian and my next read. Fast paced and full of a teen angst love triangle, I had a difficult time with Kelsey. I didn't really connect with her, instead I felt more for David. Still, I enjoyed the story and it was ended just the way it should have been. ( )
  kissedbyink | Jul 1, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,413,925 books! | Top bar: Always visible