Guitar For Dummies by Mark Phillips

Guitar For Dummies (original 2006; edition 2016)

by Mark Phillips (Author), Jon Chappell (Author), Hal Leonard Corporation (Author)

A guide for guitar, from buying and tuning one to chords, strums and accessories.
Member:TylerWeeks
Title:Guitar For Dummies
Authors:Mark Phillips (Author)
Other authors:Jon Chappell (Author), Hal Leonard Corporation (Author)
Info:For Dummies (2016), Edition: 4, 416 pages

Guitar for Dummies by Mark Phillips (2006)

English (3)  Spanish (1)  All languages (4)
The bestselling guide now updated with video demonstrations and audio tracks online The guitar is one of the most versatile instruments in the world, which is why it's so appealing to musicians. Guitar For Dummies, 4th Edition gives you everything a beginning or intermediate acoustic or electric guitarist needs: from buying a guitar to tuning it, playing it, and caring for it. Fully revised and updated, with online video and audio clips that help you learn and play along, you'll explore everything from simple chords and melodies to more challenging exercises that are designed to satisfy players of all levels. Additionally, new players can dive into the basics of guitar and accessory selection. Whether you prefer the cool sounds of the acoustic or the edgier tones of the electric, your guitar will get a lot of use as you play your way through the lessons presented in this integral book. But your journey doesn't stop at the last page! With an updated multimedia component, you have access to more than 80 online videos and 35 audio tracks that help build your talent. Play along with online videos and audio tracks to develop and reinforce your new skills Tune your guitar, change strings, and make simple repairs to keep your instrument in working order Choose the right guitar and equipment for your needs Explore numerous musical styles, including rock, blues, jazz, and country Guitar For Dummies, 4th Edition guides you in the development of your strumming talent--and who knows where that can take you!
  Fellowshipwc | Sep 5, 2020 |
Guitar For DUMMIES, 2nd Edition VS The Complete Idiots Guide To Guitar

I found the Guitar For Dummies to be more lighthearted, while The Complete Idiot's Guide To Guitar to be worded more serious and to the point. The Complete Idiot's Guide felt more like my old guitar teacher when I was a child, an old fart that made me play Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star a hundred times before he thought I had it right. Thank Goodness he was a sweet 70-year old, because it was creepy enough as it was, being in that little room with the dark paneling in that cellar of that quaint music store. As this older gentleman taught me how to tap my foot and strum my cheap wooden guitar that my father had purchased for me in the guitar shop above, I had great day dreams. In other words he bored me to death, yet he could have made a better effort at keeping my attention had he at least told me some funny stories, even if they were made up. Maybe then I would not have been day dreaming that I was on a beach splashing through the waves of salty sea water and collecting seashells and would have learned something. Maybe I would have become the next Johnny Rodriguez, who was a cousin of my fathers when I was a child, who actually had his own record albums then. Johnny Rodriguez came to visit one summer and that was it, that next week I was at the music store with my dad. God Bless his heart!

I really liked how the CD that came with Guitar for Dummies contains "Tuning" for your guitar right on Track 1. Track 1 that is perfect for someone like me who loses interest quickly. In Part II of Guitar for Dummies you will find "So Start: Playing the Basics, " three songs you can easily play as a beginner. My favorite is Kumbaya, and again I thank the good Lord that Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star is not included here or I would have stopped reading this book immediately, not kidding.

I have found that both books give you the basics in learning how to play guitar, although The Complete Idiot's Guide has a slower approach in teaching those basics. I found both books to be easy to read and understand and the diagrams clear. But If you are looking for a guide for your E-reader, I can tell you right now The Complete Idiot's Guide To Guitar is not available on Kindle or Nook, however the Guitar For Dummies 2nd Edition is. If an E-reader edition is not your purpose, and instead you are easily irritated by jokes or any non-serious style of learning when it comes to a book, and have lots of time on your hands then go with The Complete Idiot's Guide To Guitar, otherwise grab the Guitar For DUMMIES and have fun with it. ( )
  autumnblues | Nov 22, 2011 |
great to get started
  pdevillo | Oct 30, 2006 |
1) Mark Phillips: For my wife, Debbie, and my children, Tara, Jake, and Rachel.

2) Jon Chappell: For my wife, Mary, and my children Jennifer, Katie, Lauren, and Ryan

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,758,922 books! | Top bar: Always visible