Mary's Christmas by Laurie R King

Authors:Laurie R King
Info:
Tags:Fiction, Mystery, Short Story, WLS, RBU

Mary's Christmas by Laurie R. King

Every young woman should have an Uncle Jake ( )
  jamespurcell | Mar 13, 2018 |
In many ways was this story way better than I thought it would be. For instance I thought that a story taking place when Mary was a child, way before she meet Sherlock wouldn't be that interesting. But the story was really good. Not a mystery or a crime story but a glimpse into Mary's childhood, before her parents and brother died.

Review also posted on And Now for Something Completely Different and It's a Mad Mad World ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
This was a short story which showed our heroine when she was still a child and revealed some of the background we were unaware from other books in the series. It was light, it was fun, a great way to start 2016! ( )
  cyderry | Jan 20, 2016 |
Mary's Christmas is a short story that is part of Laurie R King's Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes series. This story takes place when Mary is a young girl, before the death of her family and her first meeting with Holmes.

As Mary and her family are getting ready for the holidays, her mother takes Mary and her younger brother, Levi,in the absence of their father, on an errand to the "Evil Publican" down the road to purchase ale for the holidays. While they are leaving, the publican insults the family, but Mrs. Russell turns a deaf ear to the insult. Mary, however, does not. Uncle Jake, who has unexpectedly shown-up, teaches Mary and Levi how to flick playing cards accurately into a waste basket and Mary practices until she can flick a card under a vase to dislodge the card that was previously there. When Uncle Jake announces his intention to play cards at the "Evil Publican's" establishment, Mary feels that he is being disloyal to the family. However, Uncle Jake convinces Mr and Mrs Russell to have a night out and takes Mary and Levi to the pub. Mary's newfound skills soon come into play, and Holmes, when told the story years later, muses that he wondered at the time why the pub's ownership changed so abruptly. When Jake leaves the family, he gives Mary a gift that becomes one of her most valued possessions.

I had just finished another Russell/Holmes story when this was released, and was eagerly looking forward to reading it, but I was somewhat disappointed. The story was interesting, but I don't consider it to be one of Ms. King's best efforts. Perhaps I disliked it because of Mary's uncharacteristic willingness to do something unlawful for justice for a slight against her, instead of someone else. It did fill in a little of Russell's back-story, which perhaps was the best part. I really wanted to like it, and I didn't actually dislike it, I guess I'd say it was so-so. ( )
  rretzler | Feb 9, 2015 |
Every child needs an Uncle Jake: a charmer and a scoundrel, Jake lives by his wits and loves to swoop in with wildly inappropriate gifts. Mary and her brother adore him-- especially when one of his plots leads them into questionable ethics and a bit of danger.

This is just the sort of story to share on a cold winter's night by the fire. Listening to the logs pop and crackle is the perfect time to read a bit more about the sort of little girl Mary Russell was. You'll find out that she hasn't changed much over the years, and I just have to admit that there's something about Uncle Jake that makes me smile and want to join in the fun.

When you have favorite literary characters, you always want to learn more about them, and "Mary's Christmas" satisfies that craving. ( )
  cathyskye | Dec 26, 2014 |

An original short story set in the world of Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes, ?Mary ?s Christmas ? goes back to a time long before the two met on the Sussex Downs in the spring of 1915. It begins one winter ?s evening in late 1921 or 1922 when the two are seated by their fire, sharing stories about the unexplored portions of their past. Naturally, a person might expect the older Holmes to have a large collection of these ?but tonight it is Russell who astonishes her husband with news of a previously unknown, even unsuspected, relation.Uncle Jake: scoundrel, charmer, eternal youth, black sheep of the wealthy Boston Russell family. Jake is the kind of man who literally drops out of a cloudless summer sky, who makes a good if shady living from his wits, whose holiday specialty is a series of wildly inappropriate and passionately adored Christmas presents. Whose older brother loves him, and doesn ?t trust him an inch. What young girl could resist his charms? Even when his plots lead young Mary into some areas of questionable ethics and downright danger, under her parents ? very nose.… (more)

Laurie R. King is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,840,179 books! | Top bar: Always visible