Dressed To Kill

by Lynn Cahoon

Jill Gardner, the owner of Coffee, Books, and More, has been suckered into playing a twenties flapper in murder/dinner theater. Though it is for charity...Of course everyone is expecting a 'dead' body at the dress rehearsal...but this one isn't acting! It turns out the main suspect is the late actor's conniving girlfriend Sherry...who also happens to be the ex-wife of Jill's main squeeze. Sherry is definitely a master manipulator...but is she a killer? Jill may discover the truth only when the curtain comes up on the final act...and by then, it may be far too late.… (more)

Small town, romance, food, and murder everything you need to enjoy the book. ( )
  xKayx | Dec 14, 2020 |
I was given an ARC by the publisher, Kensington Books, in return for an honest review

4.5 Stars
The fourth book in the Tourist Trap mystery series, Dressed To Kill finds bookstore owner and part time sleuth Jill helping her police detective boyfriend Greg track down who killed a prominent banker and why. Along the way, Jill has to deal with Greg's rancorous ex-wife, Sherry trying to worm her way under her skin at every turn.

This was a thoroughly enjoyable mystery full of red herrings, plot twists and, of course, hunky cops. I admit that I didn't know who did it, even as it was being revealed.

It's always fun to visit South Cove and its quirky citizens, from the eccentric Esmeralda to the crotchety Lille. The characters are all likeable, and the dialogue is realistic and draws you into both the story and the town. I could definitely see myself at CBM curled up with a mystery and a slice of cheesecake. (Why don't more bookstores serve cheesecake?)

Overall, Dressed To Kill is a fun and enjoyable book that deftly combines mystery, suspense, a little romance, and cheesecake.

Who was leaking the information to Darla? ( )
  MystereityReviews | Mar 11, 2016 |
I enjoyed a previous book in Cahoon's Tourist Trap series, and despite jumping ahead a little in the series I found this book to be another enjoyable read. Jill is such an entertaining character, and I enjoyed seeing how she handled her latest adventure since she had to deal with Sherry, Greg's ex. Cahoon did a great job at giving Jill inner turmoil with having to deal with Sherry as well as having her aunt involved in a situation of her own. The book is full of enough twists and turns to keep the reader engaged. I also really enjoy Cahoon's South Cove which is a great setting that makes the reader want to visit again and again with each adventure. Overall Dressed to Kill was a great read that I would most definitely recommend. I look forward to reading Jill's next adventure.

Received a copy of Dressed to Kill through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Sable677 | Aug 11, 2015 |
This is a great series, with a fantastically described small tourist town setting and characters that mesh well, even when they are at odds. When someone winds up dead during the community dinner theater rehearsal, Jill Gardner finds herself involved in yet another murder investigation in South Cove. There is a lot of story here this time. At the town council's business meeting,(run by Jill's nemesis Sherry, complete with goody bags), many members run afoul with bickering among South Cove's touristy shops. As usual, the owner of the nearby antique store thinks there's too much litter in town (from businesses like Jill's coffee shop) and Josh is out capturing evidence on his camera. The bank's security system is on the blink and soon Jill's boyfriend and cop Greg are involved in all manner of crime. There was a small piece of information about the mission wall in Jill's yard, I hope that in addition to the Run in the next book, that we will be treated to some more historical information and perhaps a resolution to the history of the wall. ( )
  ethel55 | Jul 22, 2015 |
There are many series I really get excited about when a new book is due to be released, and the Tourist Trap Mystery series is for sure one of those series. Each book gets better and better, and this is certainly true with book 4, DRESSED TO KILL. Author Lynn Cahoon has really added layers to the characters in this series, and it’s been a joy being a part of watching it grow.

Once again protagonist Jill Gardner, owner of one of my favorite fictional shops, Coffee, Books and More, finds herself in the middle of a homicide investigation after being pulled into it by a friend.

DRESSED TO KILL was a first rate mystery that moved at a perfect past making it a quick and extremely entertaining read. It was intriguing and well thought out and kept me guessing through the entire story. As always, author Cahoon fooled me with the reveal. I feel like I should have seen it coming, but I simply got outsmarted. 

If you haven’t read the Tourist Trap series, give yourself a gift and get the first for now because book 5, KILLER RUN will be out in August! ( )
  LisaKsBookReviews | Jul 1, 2015 |

Belongs to Series

Lynn Cahoon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,483,887 books! | Top bar: Always visible