The Work: My Search for a Life That Matters

by Wes Moore

12419190,621 (3.63)20
"Wes Moore's remarkable bestseller The Other Wes Moore ends when Wes completes his journey from a fatherless delinquent to college graduate and heads off to Oxford on a Rhodes Scholarship. But what happens next? Next, he had to figure out the answer to the question: What is your work? More than finding a job, he had to find the work he was meant to do. For the next decade, Wes traced a path through some of the most fascinating and high-pressure workspaces in the world: an American student at Oxford after 9/11; a combat officer in Afghanistan during the most intense years of fighting; a White House fellow during the tumult of the late Bush years; an Obama organizer during that historic campaign; a Wall Street banker at the cusp of the financial crisis; and finally, back home to Baltimore, working to revitalize that troubled city. This is the story of how one young man traced a path through the world to discover the meaning of his life -- and how after a series of misdirections and lesson-teaching mistakes, he found that meaning in service. Wes weaves the episodes and moments of decision in his own life with those of a dozen other changemakers from every walk of life who confronted the question "what is my work?" and found their own answers, to help readers see how we can each find our own path to purpose and to creating a better world"--… (more)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I've known about Wes Moore since his first book, and greatly respect his work. When I see him on a news program or other show, I'll make sure to stop whatever I'm doing and listen to him. But this book didn't quite hit the mark for me.

It tries to be a memoir, revealing personal growth through change and adversity, but just feels more like autobiography, a string of incidents told in chronological order.

What I found most compelling were the pieces at the end of each chapter where he profiled others who were answering their callings. ( )
  evenlake | Mar 23, 2021 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
My attention was grabbed from the beginning and carried all the way through. The sections that included other individuals' work were not particularly compelling. Otherwise, this was an interesting read. Great follow up to his first book.
  kellybflynn | Nov 4, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I read this as part of the early reviewer program. I think his other book The Other Wes Moore is much better as he uses his life story to delve into society. This one is more about his journey in his 20s, but is somewhat disjointed on how he came to life decisions and how he supports himself and his family. The best part of the book were the stories he shared of people he met who are doing their life's work whether that is helping veterans, changing the school systems, or helping single mothers break the cycle of poverty. Despite the shortfalls there were multiple quotes and highlights that made it worth reading. Here was one of my favorites:
"The huge challenges the globe faces can be met only if we're all pulling together, if we can make use of all the human's resources. And for people driven by religious or secular ethics, it's hard to argue that the needs of Americans are somehow more important than the needs of people anywhere else in the world. The question is What need can I best help address? For some of us, we can do our best work in our own homes and communities; others of us are called to do work in other parts of the world. The opportunity to help is not limited by borders--and the beautiful part is that when we reach our hands across the globe to serve others, we don't return empty-handed." ( )
  strandbooks | Aug 20, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I think that Wes Moore is an amazing man. I really do. However, his books tend to say the same thing and they tend to repeat themselves. ( )
  kphillip9 | Apr 24, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
If you read The Other Wes Moore, you should enjoy The Work. It begins right after college when Wes is accepted into the Rhodes Scholar program and follows him through various positions (investment banker, Army officer in Afganistan, White House Fellow).

His story is interesting as a memoir and a great follow up to his first book.

Interspersed are brief stories of other's meaningful work. These are less effective. Their narratives are too brief to be more than somewhat interesting. They also don't really fit in with Moore's narrative.

The text would be stronger with either without them or with more varied detailed choices. ( )
  woodsathome | May 23, 2015 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Wes Moore's book The Work was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,917,552 books! | Top bar: Always visible