Headstrong: 52 Women Who Changed Science and the World

by Rachel Swaby

"Covering Nobel Prize winners and major innovators, as well as lesser-known but hugely significant scientists who influence our every day, Rachel Swaby's ... profiles span centuries of courageous thinkers and illustrate how each one's ideas developed, from their first moment of scientific engagement through the research and discovery for which they're best known"--Page 4 of cover.… (more)

While there's no doubt that all 52 of the amazing woman covered in this book are more than deserving of recognition (I've never heard of most of them) there is the matter of quality over quantity. Each of these woman's achievements we're covered in about two or three pages and they all left me wanting more. I couldn't help but feel this book would have been a more enjoyable reading experience if the author had narrowed down the selection to a round number, of lets say 10. And then dedicated more time to flesh out and further discuss how they were able to change science and the world deposit all the obstacles placed in their way. ( )
  kevinkevbo | Jul 14, 2023 |
This had been on my Currently Reading shelf for over a year. Maybe two. Composed of 52 biographies of women in science, it is perhaps better not to read this in one sitting anyway. But it did feel like high time to finish it. This is a topic I am very interested in, so I had heard of many of the women featured but SO MANY were still brand new to me. A valuable resource and reference! ( )
  greeniezona | May 28, 2023 |
Great short narratives of the lives of women scientists and the struggles they had. Includes Hedy Lamarr who invented a system for torpedoes that was a precursor to today's wireless. Also Sally Ride and many others we haven't really heard of. Can be read easily in short segments. ( )
  kslade | Dec 8, 2022 |
Read this for bookclub and was totally not looking forward to it. I expected it to be very dry. Instead it was quite entertaining and easy to read. The book is a series of short bios of women in STEM fields throughout history. These are not the women you have heard of like Curie but women who made important contributions who you've never heard of. This would be a wonderful read for middle school or high school girls who are interested in the STEM fields. Quite inspiring. ( )
  Luziadovalongo | Jul 14, 2022 |
This was a nice list of the accomplishments made by women. ( )
  Wren73 | Mar 4, 2022 |

Swaby, RachelAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fortgang, LaurenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Rachel Swaby's book Headstrong was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,376,078 books! | Top bar: Always visible