Our Souls at Night by Kent Haruf

Our Souls at Night (2015)

by Kent Haruf

English (134)  Italian (4)  Catalan (3)  Spanish (2)  Piratical (1)  French (1)  All languages (145)
Movie adaptation out this Fall (2017)- reuniting Jane Fonda and Robert Redford! ( )
  Rdra1962 | Aug 1, 2018 |
So, so sad. ( )
  blogbrarian | Jul 16, 2018 |
A quick read with something to say about the human condition. Being a woman of a certain age makes understanding and believing in these characters very easy. Haruf writes this story as if we are all present to spy on the characters and each of them behaves just as you might expect a real person would. I felt their loneliness, their joys, their heartaches and their despairs. I loved them all (except Gene of course), but even Gene I believed in.

Haruf wrote this novel at the end of his own life, with a deep understanding of what that phase of life might be like for so many of us. He had a great talent and will be missed in the literary world. I am ashamed at how few of his books I have read, which means I now have another "catch up" author on my TBR list. ( )
  phantomswife | Jul 6, 2018 |
A lovely simple story of two elderly people who decide to share their lives to relieve their loneliness. ( )
  snash | Jun 26, 2018 |
I have read a lot of books after seeing the movie and vice versa. Usually I end up liking the book better, but in this case it was the movie that was better. I probably should have read the book first. I thought that Fonda and Redford were excellent in the roles of Addie and Louis. They made the characters come alive, and it was hard for me to feel the same emotion reading the book. I found the endings for both, but particularly the book, to be a little unsettling. ( )
  slsmith101 | Jun 14, 2018 |

Kent Harufprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bramhall, MarkReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Cathy
And then there was the day Addie Moore made a call on Louis Waters.
"Who does ever get what they want? It doesn't seem to happen to many of us if any at all. It's always two people bumping against each other blindly, acting out old ideas and dreams and mistaken understandings. Except I still say that this isn't true of you and me. Not right now, not today."

from amazon ca A spare yet eloquent, bittersweet yet inspiring story of a man and a woman who, in advanced age, come together to wrestle with the events of their lives and their hopes for the imminent future.

In the familiar setting of Holt, Colorado, home to all of Kent Haruf's fiction, Addie Moore pays an unexpected visit to a neighbor, Louis Waters. Her husband died years ago, as did his wife, and in such a small town they naturally have long been aware of each other, if not exactly friends; in fact, Addie was quite fond of Louis's wife. His daughter, Holly, lives hours away in Colorado Springs; her son, Gene, even farther away in Grand Junction. What Addie has come to ask—since she and Louis have been living alone for so long in houses now empty of family, and the nights are so terribly lonely—is whether he might be willing to spend them with her, in her bed, so they can have someone to talk with.

Louis is surprised, even shocked, that she would've thought of him, though he soon is brave enough to try, impressed by the courage of her proposal. And so their lives now find a new rhythm and their conversations range freely, if sometimes haltingly, through their personal histories: his work as a high school English teacher; the loss of her teenage daughter, and the harm this did to her marriage as well as their son; his brief affair, as a young husband and father, which Addie had heard about; their youthful aspirations and middle-age disappointments and compromises; the joy both feel in at last being able to express the woof and weave of their experiences. This unusual arrangement, as Addie predicted, provokes local comment, and then the disapproval of their children, and their nightly pattern is further disrupted when her son, whose wife has departed for California, asks Addie to take in his six-year-old son, Jamie, for the summer while he tries to solve his various troubles.

Jamie is confused and hurt, of course, but gradually finds comfort in the company of his grandmother and her friend Louis, neither of whom has spent much time with kids in years but in turn learn how to all over again. Teaching the boy to play catch. Adopting a dog from the local shelter. A camping trip in the mountains, a trip to the county fair, simple pleasures that are a hallmark of Haruf's fiction. As are the things that jeopardize them, from the death of a mutual friend to family tensions that suddenly test Addie and Louis's ability to withstand them. And the subtle denouement then sweeps both of these amazing people forward—heartbreakingly, hearteningly into the unknown.

In Holt, Colorado, widower Louis Waters is initially thrown when the widowed Addie Moore suggests that they spend time together, in bed, to stave off loneliness, but soon they are exchanging the confidences and memories.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,982,267 books! | Top bar: Always visible