Our Souls at Night by Kent Haruf

Our Souls at Night (2015)

by Kent Haruf

English (105)  Italian (3)  Spanish (2)  Piratical (1)  Catalan (1)  All (112)
What an extraordinary, moving book. I was mesmerized. I hadn't read any of Kent Haruf's other books, but this masterpiece has moved its way into my soul. Ah! What is it about the simple finding of love that breaks us all? Read this, please. ( )
  Soulmuser | May 30, 2017 |
Another, and unfortunately the last, pitch-perfect work by Kent Haruf. Apparently he knew he was dying when he wrote it. Perhaps that's why he allowed himself to pull back the curtain a tiny bit and offer an Oz-like glimpse of his creation: the town of Holt, Colorado. No spoilers. you'll know it when you come to it. ( )
  Eye_Gee | May 8, 2017 |
A most beautiful love story; a story of loneliness, ageing, companionship and family perceptions. ( )
  MelbourneSharonB | May 3, 2017 |
I loved this book. It is rich, fruitful for discussion, and it doesn't go any of the places that I was expecting it go. It has a nostalgic Americana vibe that really touched me as well, and which usually does not turn me on. The imagery was lovely, the characters were deep and the language was easy which lends itself to excellent discussions in book club, and the whole book felt wonderfully crafted. I'll have to revisit Kent Haruf when I'm in the mood for more light but deep fare like this. ( )
  pammab | Apr 16, 2017 |
One of the most wonderful novels I've ever read--but I am the right age to read it. I gave it to my sisters and stepmother for Christmas and one sister recently called my stepmother to say she had a fabulous book that she was sending her. Turned out to be Our Souls At Night. It is the story of two elderly people who think they are content in their loneliness and who find each other. It sounds cheesy and sentimental but isn't at all. Beautifully written. Now I want to read Kent Haruf's Plainsong! This book along with Szabo's The Door are my recent favorites. ( )
  flashflood42 | Mar 23, 2017 |

Kent Harufprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bramhall, MarkReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Cathy
And then there was the day Addie Moore made a call on Louis Waters.
"Who does ever get what they want? It doesn't seem to happen to many of us if any at all. It's always two people bumping against each other blindly, acting out old ideas and dreams and mistaken understandings. Except I still say that this isn't true of you and me. Not right now, not today."

from amazon ca A spare yet eloquent, bittersweet yet inspiring story of a man and a woman who, in advanced age, come together to wrestle with the events of their lives and their hopes for the imminent future.

In the familiar setting of Holt, Colorado, home to all of Kent Haruf's fiction, Addie Moore pays an unexpected visit to a neighbor, Louis Waters. Her husband died years ago, as did his wife, and in such a small town they naturally have long been aware of each other, if not exactly friends; in fact, Addie was quite fond of Louis's wife. His daughter, Holly, lives hours away in Colorado Springs; her son, Gene, even farther away in Grand Junction. What Addie has come to ask—since she and Louis have been living alone for so long in houses now empty of family, and the nights are so terribly lonely—is whether he might be willing to spend them with her, in her bed, so they can have someone to talk with.

Louis is surprised, even shocked, that she would've thought of him, though he soon is brave enough to try, impressed by the courage of her proposal. And so their lives now find a new rhythm and their conversations range freely, if sometimes haltingly, through their personal histories: his work as a high school English teacher; the loss of her teenage daughter, and the harm this did to her marriage as well as their son; his brief affair, as a young husband and father, which Addie had heard about; their youthful aspirations and middle-age disappointments and compromises; the joy both feel in at last being able to express the woof and weave of their experiences. This unusual arrangement, as Addie predicted, provokes local comment, and then the disapproval of their children, and their nightly pattern is further disrupted when her son, whose wife has departed for California, asks Addie to take in his six-year-old son, Jamie, for the summer while he tries to solve his various troubles.

Jamie is confused and hurt, of course, but gradually finds comfort in the company of his grandmother and her friend Louis, neither of whom has spent much time with kids in years but in turn learn how to all over again. Teaching the boy to play catch. Adopting a dog from the local shelter. A camping trip in the mountains, a trip to the county fair, simple pleasures that are a hallmark of Haruf's fiction. As are the things that jeopardize them, from the death of a mutual friend to family tensions that suddenly test Addie and Louis's ability to withstand them. And the subtle denouement then sweeps both of these amazing people forward—heartbreakingly, hearteningly into the unknown.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,188,782 books! | Top bar: Always visible