Moby-Dick (Bantam Classics) by Herman…

Moby-Dick (Bantam Classics) (original 1851; edition 1981)

by Herman Melville

30,81947772 (3.81)7 / 1552
A young seaman joins the crew of the whaling ship Pequod, led by the fanatical Captain Ahab in pursuit of the white whale Moby Dick.
Member:megzanne
Title:Moby-Dick (Bantam Classics)
Authors:Herman Melville
Info:Bantam Classics (1981), Mass Market Paperback, 704 pages
Rating:***

Work Information

Moby Dick by Herman Melville (1851)

The Sea Wolf by Jack London (wvlibrarydude)
    In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex by Nathaniel Philbrick (jseger9000)
    jseger9000: In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex tells the true story that inspired Melville to write Moby Dick.
    Lord Jim by Joseph Conrad (_eskarina)
    Two Years Before the Mast by Richard Henry Jr. Dana (knownever)
    knownever: A more enjoyable, shorter, and less allegorical story of sailing life, although there aren't any whales. The author of this one kind of looks down on whalers. All together a more jaunty sea tale.
    The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket by Edgar Allan Poe (caflores)
    The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway (caflores)
    The Whale: In Search of the Giants of the Sea by Philip Hoare (chrisharpe, John_Vaughan)
    The Wreck of the Whaleship Essex by Owen Chase (meggyweg)
    The Confidence-Man: His Masquerade by Herman Melville (GaryPatella)
    GaryPatella: Compared to Moby Dick, The Confidence Man is a much lighter read. But after ploughing through Moby Dick, this may be a welcome change. It is not as profound, but you also don't have to struggle through any of it. This is worth reading.
    Billy Budd, Bartleby, and Other Stories by Herman Melville (chwiggy)
    Why Read Moby-Dick? by Nathaniel Philbrick (John_Vaughan)
    Ahab's Wife by Sena Jeter Naslund (ecleirs24, AriadneAranea)
    ecleirs24: Cause this novel is based upon a passage from Mobi Dick......
    Genoa: A Telling of Wonders by Paul Metcalf (alaskayo)
    alaskayo: Melville's heir struggles to close his relationship to his preceding literary genius. Click the link above, read what you can, and get yourself hooked on one of the most critically-adored yet criminally-underread novels written in a century defined by self-analysis and experimentation.… (more)
    Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian (caflores)
    caflores: Para amantes del lenguaje náutico y de las descripciones detalladas.
    Railsea by China Miéville (Longshanks)
    Longshanks: An imaginative, affectionate pastiche of the novel's themes, imagery, and characters.
    The Myth of Sisyphus and Other Essays by Albert Camus (WilfGehlen)
    WilfGehlen: Camus was greatly influenced by Melville and in The Myth of Sisyphus mentions Moby-Dick as a truly absurd work. Reading Moby-Dick with Camus' absurd in mind gives a deeper, and very different insight than provided by the usual emphasis on Ahab's quest for revenge.… (more)
    Oil! by Upton Sinclair (edwinbcn)
    The Nautical Chart by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (Ronoc)
    The Last Fish Tale by Mark Kurlansky (John_Vaughan)
    Absalom, Absalom! by William Faulkner (ateolf)

1850s (9)
Romans (14)
Read (13)

English (426)  Dutch (10)  Spanish (9)  German (8)  Italian (6)  French (5)  Catalan (4)  Norwegian (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (476)
Thank you, Mrs. Carter... ( )
  ByronDB | May 17, 2022 |
Well, I finished it. It was great literature. Some scenes were actually pretty funny. Not, like, Douglas Adams funny or anything but Ishmael has a pleasantly dry sense of humor. As a narrator he's mostly insightful. Other times he's unfortunately rather boring, but as great literature this book has the required number of profound insights about the human condition. I think to even begin to understand what Moby Dick is about (the future of religion in America? Good and evil? Fate? Insanity? Whales?) I'll have to read it more than once. Will keep you posted. ( )
  jdegagne | Apr 23, 2022 |
A very long, long, tale about whaling. Entire chapter’s worth of telling you in deep description about the ports, ships, accommodations, equipment, and the whales. Also it talks about the horrors of whaling and how a whale is reduced to a commodity for human use. Captain Ahab got what he deserved! ( )
  caanderson | Apr 17, 2022 |
I NEVER thought I'd read this book. Many people say they have tried it, once or more than once, through the years, but gave up. I hadn't even tried to read it before. But when my best friend was swept away by it, and raved about it as she read, and urged me, gently and repeatedly, to read it, I knew I'd have to at least try it. That time came when I found a 730-page Dover edition for $1 at a library book store. I thought it would be boring, but I, too, was swept away. The story, for me, was engaging from the start, with the meeting of Ishmael and Queequeg. And over the course of the book, I learned about the different textures of whale skin, how they harvest blubber and sperm, what happens when a crewman falls into the mouth of a whale that's been lashed to the side of the boat and falls down and down and down. ( )
  ReadMeAnother | Apr 13, 2022 |
A bit weird, overly wordy at times, but still great. A small look into 19th century whaling and a deep look into the mind of man obsessed. ( )
  MykleDClark | Apr 5, 2022 |

Trent, ThomasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walcutt, Charles ChildEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Amstelboeken (60-61)
Great Books of the Western World (Volume 48, 1952 ed.)
I.Waldman & Son, Inc. (Moby Books 4520)
I Libri dell'Unità (Storie di mare, 1-2-3)
Moby Books (4520)
Playmore, Inc. Publishers (Moby Books 4520)

Is contained in

Contains

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is replied to in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a supplement

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Call me Ishmael. Some years ago — never mind how long precisely — having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world.
I’ll try a pagan friend, thought I, since Christian kindness has proved but hollow courtesy.
...so at nightfall, the Nantucketer, out of sight of land, furls his sails, and lays him to his rest, while under his very pillow rush herds of walruses and whales.
...Heaven have mercy on us all—Presbyterians and Pagans alike—for we are all somehow dreadfully cracked about the head, and sadly need mending.
‘Whale-balls for breakfast—don’t forget.’ (Stubb, second mate)
And with what quill did the Secretary of the Society for the Suppression of Cruelty to Ganders formally indite his circulars? It is only within the last month or two that that society passed a resolution to patronize nothing but steel pens.
Please do not combine adaptations or abridged editions of Moby Dick with unabridged versions. Versions aimed at children are normally abridged editions and should not be combined here. Also, books ABOUT Moby Dick (such as study guides) should not be combined with the unabridged nor the abridged novel. Please keep such books as an independent work.
The ISBN 9025463312 is shared with a different work.
The Penguin Classics 150th Anniversary Ed (ISBN 0142000086) is not abridged, although that word has appeared in some user's data.
Norton Critical editions, Longman Critical editions and other scholarly editions should not be combined with the unabridged novel. The scholarly-type editions contain much additional material so they should be considered as separate works.

The first English edition of Herman Melville, "The Whale" (London, 1851; 3 vols, 12mo, blue cloth cover, uncut) was issued prior to the first US edition, which appeared later in the same year under the title "Moby-Dick; or The Whale", and contained thirty-five passages omitted from the English edition. (Sale catalogue of A. Edward Newton's collection, Parke-Bernet Galleries, New York, 15 May 1941, lot 729, reproduced in The private library, 4th series, vol. 7, no. 2, Summer 1994, p. 80).
Call me Ishmael.
Score: Whale 1, Ahab 0.
I alone returned.
(bertilak)
Nor been sparing of

Historical whale research

--Chapter one-o-one

Current discussions

OT: Moby-Dick Sweetwater Press w/Rockwell Kent Illustrations in Folio Society Devotees

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,174,923 books! | Top bar: Always visible