The Murder on the Links: A Hercule Poirot…

The Murder on the Links: A Hercule Poirot Mystery (original 1923; edition 2019)

by Agatha Christie (Author)

Series: Hercule Poirot (2)

On a French golf course, a millionaire is found stabbed in the back... An urgent cry for help brings Poirot to France. But he arrives too late to save his client, whose brutally stabbed body now lies face downwards in a shallow grave on a golf course. But why is the dead man wearing his son's overcoat? And who was the impassioned love-letter in the pocket for? Before Poirot can answer these questions, the case is turned upside down by the discovery of a second, identically murdered corpse...… (more)
Member:Naibauer_Household
Title:The Murder on the Links: A Hercule Poirot Mystery
Authors:Agatha Christie (Author)
Info:Vintage (2019), Edition: Reprint, 240 pages

Work Information

The Murder on the Links by Agatha Christie (1923)

English (95)  Spanish (3)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (100)
Poirot was an extraordinary-looking little man. He was hardly more than five feet four inches, but carried himself with great dignity. His head was exactly the shape of an egg, and he always perched it a little on one side. His moustache was very stiff and military. The neatness of his attire was almost incredible; I believe a speck of dust would have caused him more pain than a bullet wound. Yet this quaint dandified little man who, I was sorry to see, now limped badly, had been in his time one of the most celebrated members of the Belgian police. As a detective, his flair had been extraordinary, and he had achieved triumphs by unravelling some of the most baffling cases of the day.

Christie, Agatha. Hercule Poirot 3-Book Collection 1: The Mysterious Affair at Styles, The Murder on the Links, Poirot Investigates (Kindle Locations 308-313). HarperCollins Publishers. Kindle Edition.

I love Hercule Poirot. Such a great detective. Such a character. There's always a great mystery with lots of twists and turns and red herrings, all of which keep me riveted. The characters are interesting and have complex motives for their actions. That said, not a huge fan of Hastings. He's too busy being on his high horse to be likable. I've read many Agatha Christie books before but not all and not in order so I'm in the process of commencing a reread. Highly recommend to crime lovers.

In The Murder on the Links, Poirot and Hastings are called to assist a man who later winds up dead and stay on to help solve the murder. There's love affairs and mistaken identities and lots of intrigue. I had no idea what the hell was going on and it was fantastic. Hastings irritates me with how easily he falls in love - he knows this chick for two seconds and he loves her? Seriously, he met her twice. He's too fickle and it irritates me a lot. Fantastic. ( )
  funstm | Dec 1, 2022 |
After a year and a bit of struggling to focus my neurodivergent brain on completing a book, I have finally returned to my goal of reading through all of Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot series. This book, Murder in the Links, was book #2.

Unfortunately, with my neurodiverse brain, it took me several restarts of this book to get into the plot; however, once I finally got into Murder of the Links, the story successfully fulfilled my craving for a good 'Whodunnit' mystery.

Although, I didn't personally feel that this particular mystery wasn't quite as satisfying as some of her later novels I have already read. I found some of the threads a bit difficult to follow.

In terms of narration, Hugh Fraser is still a legend, and I don't need to comment more on this other than to say it was five stars.

Overall, decent enough mystery to fulfill my need for a Mystery; it was better than a Mysterious Affair at Styles but not as good as Hercule Poirot's Christmas. ( )
  Melzy_rose90 | Jul 30, 2022 |
قصة خفيفة ، مسلية ، درجه الملل انخفضت بشكل كبير عن القصة الأولي ، وعجبنى طريقة بوارو فى الصمت والاكتفاء بتلميحات بتأكد او بتنفي فكر القارئ ، والاحتفاظ بالالتواءة الأخيرة للنهاية ، فاما هتسعد باستنتاجك الشخصى اللى أصريت عليه رغم النتائج المبكرة ، او هتتفاجئ ان تم خداعك أكتر من مرة ، وفى كلا الحالتين غالباً هتقضي وقت ممتع . ( )
  JforJimmy | Jul 12, 2022 |
I picked this book up with a few other Agatha Christie novels after reading The Science of Murder: The Forensics of Agatha Christie by Carla Valentine. I read through most of Christie's catalog when I was in junior high, but didn't remember a lot of what Valentine was mentioning, so I decided to revisit a few.

This is one of Christie's earlier works and it shows. Poirot vacillates between searching for physical evidence and deriding it before focusing on the work of his "little gray cells." I'm still not entirely sure of how the initial murder took place, though the motive was very clear. I also find Hasting's love story to be overly melodramatic and slightly maudlin - he has had three conversations with this woman and falls in love with her, ugh. ( )
  Bodagirl | Jul 8, 2022 |
18-Aug-2020 21-Aug-2020 ( )
  merle.krehmeyer | Apr 27, 2022 |

SaPo (292)

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

To My Husband

a fellow enthusiast for detective stories

and to whom I am indebted for much

helpful advice and criticism
I believe that a well-known anecdote exists to the effect that a young writer, determined to make the commencement of his story forcible and original enough to catch and rivet the attention of the most blasé of editors, penned the following sentence: '"Hell!" said the Duchess.'
BBC Radio drama ISBNs: 1483043223, 1483043215, 0792756185, 1408482037, 0563510110.

Belgian detective Hercule Poirot is summoned to France after receiving a distressing letter with a urgent cry for help. Upon his arrival in Merlinville-sur-Mer, the investigator finds the man who penned the letter, the South American millionaire Monsieur Renauld, stabbed to death and his body flung into a freshly dug open grave on the golf course adjoining the property. Meanwhile the millionaire's wife is found bound and gagged in her room. Apparently, it seems that Renauld and his wife were victims of a failed break-in, resulting in Renauld's kidnapping and death.

There's no lack of suspects: his wife, whose dagger served as the weapon; his embittered son, who would have killed for independence; and his mistress, who refused to be ignored - and each felt deserving of the dead man's fortune. The police think they've found the cumprit. But Poirot has his doubts. Why is the dead man wearing an overcoat that is too big for him? And who was the impassioned love-letter in the pocket for? Before Poirot can answer these questions, the case is turned upside down by the discovery of a second, identically murdered corpse...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,345,499 books! | Top bar: Always visible