Browsings: A Year of Reading, Collecting, and Living with Books

by Michael Dirda

3952050,575 (3.8)16
The author shares personal essays on diverse topics ranging from literary pets and cursive writing to book inscriptions and the pleasures of science fiction conventions.

I’m giving Michael Dirda’s “Browsings” 5/5 stars, which doesn’t really reflect my enjoyment of it as much as it does my respect for the work he’s done here. If you are a book lover, as I am, this book is for you. Be forewarned, however, that regardless of how well read you are, this book will humble you after about two essays. The book is a compilation of Dirda’s columns from one year of the journal “The American Scholar.” Dirda also writes for the Washington Post and several other publications. I made the mistake of listening to the audio version of Dirda’s book. I say “made the mistake” because this book should be accompanied by paper and pen to take notes of titles Dirda mentions throughout the columns. Listening to it on a treadmill as I did doesn’t lend itself to taking notes. Also, I wasn’t all that enamored with the narrator John Lescault. My guess is Lescault was chosen for his impeccable enunciation and his ability to speak several languages, notably French. I found his narration to be pretty pretentious, but others will hear a dose of credibility in Lexcault that the incredible range of titles Dirda covers deserved. So about this, Mr. Lescault, it’s me, not you. I would recommend this book to any reader who wishes to expand his personal library and accumulate a list of titles that will last the rest of his life. ( )
  DanDiercks | Sep 25, 2021 |
Literary Pringles! ( )
  chrisvia | Apr 29, 2021 |
writing, reading, books
  danarcc | Feb 12, 2020 |
Deplorably, this book about books lacks an index.
  KayCliff | Sep 8, 2018 |
Excellent book that every bibliophile should read. Since it is set up as a collection of readings, it is very easy to pick up, read a bit and then put it down although found myself to engaged in the prose to do that too often. ( )
  RetiredProf | Jun 19, 2018 |
To the memory of Clifton Fadiman, Randall Jarrell, Cyril Connolly, and Robert Phelps

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,587,016 books! | Top bar: Always visible