dismiss

The Last Bookaneer: A Novel by Matthew Pearl

The Last Bookaneer: A Novel (2015)

by Matthew Pearl

As the 19th century draws to an end, two bookaneers are caught up in a colonial war on Samoa as they compete to steal Robert Louis Stevenson's last manuscript and make a fortune before a new international treaty ends the bookaneers' trade forever.

I lay in bed, grasping a book. Falling in and out of conscientious. Finally i release my grasp and my "Rosebud" moment arrives and I state...."BookBosomed"

Reading this book was a joy. I am fortunate that someone suggested i read the works of Matthew Pearl. His style of writing, the research, his imagination all these i appreciate. I wonder what his process is in writing a book. I believe he stated that he came upon the word, Bookaneer in another work. I assume he was intrigued and off he went. There are times i wish i had the time, not so much as to write a book but to research for a book. A book explorer. This book spoke to me in that way, a journey. A journey with authors, publishers and other "barnacles". Was man made for books or books made for man? I would guess a theme for this book might be "For the love of books" One passage reads "the pages of books can influence our thinking and our action in ways we never comprehend."

As i read this book and then would stop for the day. I would take a moment and think about all the books i have read. I did not join goodreads until i believe 2015. I don't know how many books i have not recorded on this site. It pained me recently to give away some 300 books for my library was full and books were everywhere. Sorry for rambling.

Do read this book and take yourself away with the author on a journey. You will read excerpts from familiar authors and with Pearl's books the end is at the end. You will rediscover why you love books. ( )
  Klatooo | Feb 8, 2020 |
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I'm always interested in books about books, and this book tells about the final days of the bookaneers, people who stole manuscripts from writers for publishers, which is coming to an end with the introduction of copyrights. The main characters try one final time to get their hands on the latest book by Robert Louis Stevenson, which he was writing all the way in Samoa.

The premise was really interesting, but in the execution there was something that didn't really work out. The writing and most of the story were really slow, and there is a lot that doesn't really add to it. It was interesting and kept me entertained, but I felt it was too long for the story it told. I think with the concept of bookaneers, more books could be written (apparently there's at least one more, which features some of the characters from The Last Bookaneer).

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review! ( )
  Floratina | Dec 7, 2019 |
In 1890s New York City, a mixed race young man by the name of Clover, working in a railroad dining car, meets a book peddler named Fergins. Fergins is English, and kind enough to lend Clover books when they meet. Eventually, Fergins starts telling Clover of his adventures as an assistant to one of the last great bookaneers.

In the nineteenth century, copyright law in nearly every country left the works of foreign authors, or works originally published in other countries, unprotected. This created the trade of bookaneering--stealing manuscripts before the authors could sell them. Writers lost out financially, but publishers made greater profits while book buyers got books comparatively cheaply.

In 1890, Fergins and his bookaneer employer, Penrose Davenport, learn that Robert Louis Stevenson, living in Samoa, is at work on what may be his last great masterpiece of a novel. And they are off on what will be the last great bookaneer escapade, before the new international copyright convention, at last protecting authors internationally, goes into effect on July 1. [Note: really cursory research seems to indicate this chronology is not right. Never mind; it makes for a great story!] They work their way into the confidence of the Stevenson household in Samoa, and then scheme and contrive to locate the manuscript so they can steal it as soon as it's finished. They're not alone; another successful bookaneer, Davenport's rival Belial, is already there.

Davenport and Belial are both dangerous, ruthless men. Stevenson is a great deal more wily and dangerous than they realize. It's a suspenseful and absorbing story, with an entertaining twist.

It takes the reader longer to see what's happening in the frame story of Fergins and Clover, which has its own unexpected twist.

The characters are handled very well, and one can find oneself lured into liking characters one has more than enough information to know should not be trusted. Once I got well started on the story, I couldn't put it down.

Recommended.

I received a free electronic galley of this book from the publsher via Penguin's First to Read program. ( )
  LisCarey | Sep 19, 2018 |
Copyright laws are to go into effect on both sides of the Atlantic. Bookaneers are book pirates who steal from authors, booksellers, current owners and give to buyers who have hired them. It is learned that Robert Louis Stevenson is dying and working on his seemingly last book and the most elite bookaneers are after the book.

I loved this book. How imaginative! I like the glimpse into Stevenson's life in Samoa. I also like how the story is told--past and present (present being 1890's.) Characters abound--all flawed. I rooted for Davenport but was shocked by all their endings. Excellent storytelling. I was grabbed from the beginning and held on for the ride. A keeper! ( )
  Sheila1957 | Apr 28, 2018 |
It seemed like such a cool concept. I've read a few of Matthew Pearl's books, from his debut ('The Dante Club') and more. This sounded intriguing: stealing manuscripts prior the enactment of stricter copyright laws and the adventures that come along. I like historical fiction and historical fiction that revolve around books is always something I enjoy.

The POVs somewhat alternate (sometimes for one chapter, sometimes several) between waiter Culver and Fergins, a bookseller on the train Culver is usually on. We see Fergins as he gets introduced to bookaneers and their world, plus the grand adventure of pursuing a manuscript of Robert Louis Stevenson.

Yet overall it was a disappointment. I've always found Pearl's writing somewhat clunky: often much too wordy, takes too long to describe certain things, and quite often seems more in love with the concept of his stories rather than being able to execute them well. It's been several years since I've read any of his books, but I'd say his 'Dante' book remains his best one. I've kept reading hoping it would improve, but his style is very difficult to read though.

Overall it was a disappointment. Borrow from the library. I'm not sure I'll be reading anything else by Pearl, sadly.

acciolibros | Feb 11, 2018 |
****
A Literary Treasure on an Island.

Before films, before television, before pop music, there were books, and writers. There are famous writers now, but the level of fame that could be reached by a popular writer in the nineteenth century is almost beyond our imagining. After killing off Sherlock Holmes, Arthur Conan-Doyle was called “the most-hated man in London” by fans who wore mourning clothes, when Charles Dickens died mourners paraded passed his grave for three days, and during this time fans frequently paid top-dollar to see authors read their works in sold-out theaters. The latter was important to writers, because many had more fame than fortune. Lax or non-existent copyright laws made it astonishingly easy for publishers to pirate an author’s works. Readers got cheap books, publisher’s got rich, and the writers...well they became famous, but they didn’t earn a penny.

This phenomena is the starting point for Matthew Pearl’s latest novel The Last Bookaneer. I got a kick out of the title, but the title is just the start. For the last decade or so Mr. Pearl has been a master of the literary historical thriller, and his latest is no exception.

Near the end of the nineteenth century Pen Davenport is the most infamous bookaneer in the world. He will go anywhere and do almost anything to get his hands on the most wanted, and newest manuscripts. Soon an international treaty will be signed, and the bookaneers will be needed no more. For his last heist, Davenport decides to travel across the South Pacific, where a dying Robert Louis Stevenson labors to finish what many believe will be his greatest masterpiece. For the first time he will not be working alone, as he decides to include, or kidnap, depending on your point of view, the easy-going book-seller Edgar Fergins, to record this final adventure. Unfortunately for them, Davenport’s greatest rival, the fiendish Belial is also after Stevenson’s manuscript. The rest of the book is a smart and thrilling battle of wits as the two vie for literary treasure amid social and political upheaval in the wilds of Samoa.

If this were all there was to this book it would be good. As it is, there is a ton more. Mr. Pearl knows the era, and the conventions of the fiction of the period, and he honors them as often as he turns them on their head. Subplots and backstories abound, but they augment rather than hinder the main story-line, giving it richness and depth. The plot is smart and clever, and kept me on my toes the whole time. Stevenson and his family were enthralling, and Mr. Pearl gives us a deep and detailed world without slowing the pace. Of particular interest is his treatment of Samoa, which he brings to life with loving detail. The Island’s natives are also well-drawn, transcending the condescending way the European characters view them, to become strong deep characters, especially Vao and Tulagi.

The Last Bookaneer is more than just a clever literary thriller. Without stopping to lecture Mr. Pearl manages to touch upon the nature of creativity, and gives his bookaneers a surprising amount of depth and complexity to their philosophies and lives. I was particularly moved by Kitten, a bookaneer who is also the love of Davenport’s life. Her story, and her character were so strong and moving that I wanted more. Tie it all up with an surprising and satisfying ending and you have a novel worthy of Stevenson himself.

Review by: Mark Palm
Full Reviews Available at: http://www.thebookendfamily.weebly.co...

Some books are to be tasted, others are to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. -Francis Bacon
No, I suppose you never heard of such a creature. -E.C. Fergins
For my children
Back in my salad days laboring for the New York Center and Hudson River Railroad Company, I would always keep an eye out to see if he would enter our car before the hour of departure.
“Authors do not create literature; they are consumed by it.”

Matthew Pearl is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Matthew Pearl chatted with LibraryThing members from Oct 5, 2009 to Oct 16, 2009. Read the chat.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,513,428 books! | Top bar: Always visible