Konekansan satuja ja tarinoita by Stanislaw…

Konekansan satuja ja tarinoita (edition 2004)

by Stanislaw Lem

These fourteen science fiction stories reveal Lem’s fascination with artificial intelligence and demonstrate just how surprisingly human sentient machines can be. “Astonishing is not too strong a word for these tales” (Wall Street Journal). Translated and with an Introduction by Michael Kandel.… (more)
Member:trurl
Title:Konekansan satuja ja tarinoita
Authors:Stanislaw Lem
Info:Tammi (2004), Hardcover
Rating:***
Tags:lem

Mortal Engines by Stanisław Lem

English (9)  Finnish (1)  All languages (10)
Probably not the best choice of book for just my second exposure to Lem's often-lauded writing. It contains 12 short stories and 2 novellas. The short stories, some of which are mere vignettes, are techno-fairy tales about robots. The longer story entitled "The Hunt" is about an intelligent mining robot running amok on Luna. The still longer and more finely written story entitled "The Mask" starts with a fem-android describing her experience of coming to (artificial) consciousness and then takes a radical turn.
  fpagan | Feb 4, 2017 |
Had me falling under the Periodic Table with laughter, except for the last story, "The mask" which was never meant to be funny. ( )
  comsat38 | Dec 15, 2016 |
From what I've read a lot of this is probably better in the original Polish. I did enjoy the mixture of robotic sci-fi and classic fairy tale structures. Some of the stories were very engaging, others came across as needing to be fleshed out more. Frequently the sci-fi elements felt lacking. Not a must read, but encouraged me to seek out more Lem. ( )
  thomnottom | Apr 21, 2016 |
I somehow got it into my head I needed to read more Lem, but I suspect I like the idea of Lem more than I like the fiction of Lem. Which is not to say this collection of short stories is bad. But I can’t say I agree with the person who collated the collection, Michael Kandel, who loves Lem’s “robot fables” so much he chose to bring them all together into one book. Because while they’re clever little fairy tales, with one or two clever puns, they do get a bit wearying en masse. Happily, the book is rounded off with an Ijon Tichy story, a Pilot Pirx story, and one which is completely unrelated to the others in the book but is still about robots. This is not the best sf collection in the world, and even Lem’s snide bleakness can’t hide the datedness of some of the stories. ( )
  iansales | Nov 3, 2015 |
this book has a original idea. there is lots of adveture and betrayl. I have given this book a five star because of the idea of the book.

It is a coty eat city world. Tom Natsworthy from London betraid by his hero is pushed out the garbage chute. Taking a giant adventure with pirates, airhaven (a flating city) and stalkers. in the end London gets blown up when its super wepon blows up. ( )
  jamesd.b1 | May 29, 2014 |

Stanisław Lemprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dorn, John AlfredCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kandel, MichaelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,681,549 books! | Top bar: Always visible