You're Never Weird on the Internet (almost) (2015)

by Felicia Day

Other authors: Joss Whedon (Foreword)

The Internet isn't all cat videos. There's also Felicia Day -- violinist, filmmaker, Internet entrepreneur, compulsive gamer, hoagie specialist, and former lonely homeschooled girl who overcame her isolated childhood to become the ruler of a new world... or at least semi-influential in the world of Internet Geeks and Goodreads book clubs. After growing up in the south where she was "homeschooled for hippie reasons", Felicia moved to Hollywood to pursue her dream of becoming an actress and was immediately typecast as a crazy cat-lady secretary. But Felicia's misadventures in Hollywood led her to produce her own web series, own her own production company, and become an Internet star. Felicia's short-ish life and her rags-to-riches rise to Internet fame launched her career as one of the most influential creators in new media. Now Felicia's strange world is filled with thoughts on creativity, video games, and a dash of mild feminist activism -- just like her memoir. Felicia's story demonstrates that everyone should embrace what makes them different and be brave enough to share it with the world, because anything is possible now -- even for a digital misfit.… (more)

Felicia Day (1) is awesome, (2) relatable, sometimes painfully so, and (3) makes me want to love myself for who I am while still striving to be a better person. And that last one, that's pretty damn important.

It's hard enough being a girl without also being a geeky girl in today's world, where you feel you have to hide your geeky interests from other people, but at the same time feel like you're not always welcome in the boy's clubhouse. Felicia Day understands. She's been there. She's done that. And honestly, it's great to remind myself to embrace who I am, and that most of fandom is just happy you're there and having fun.

I love her frank discussion about her social anxiety and depression, because I've also been there, and it sucks monkey balls. It's also inspiring to see her get through it and become stronger, more self-aware, and sure of herself. She shows that it's okay to screw up, to be less than perfect because those are the moments you learn the most and which temper who you are.

And lastly, her book just spoke to me, in a way that only someone with a shared experience can. I'm a little younger than her but still, we were the first Internet generation, forging social connections over the new-fangled World Wide Web, finding life-long friendships over common (geeky) interests that persist to this day and are stronger than many IRL friendships that faded or ended abruptly because you realized the other person was a self-absorbed back-stabbing user who saw you as an afterthought to their supposedly awesome and perfect life. AHEM. Anyway. (Sadly, this has happened more than once in various iterations. I'm more protective of my own personal emotional boundaries now.)

When I was reading, I thought it was odd that Felicia skipped or glossed over many of her acting roles, which is how I first met her and continued to meet her: from Buffy, to Dr. Horrible and Dollhouse, to Eureka and Supernatural. But it clicked that this wasn't a Hollywood memoir in the usual sense. Instead it was about her personal journey to get comfortable in her own skin and make a career and life out of her geekiness.

EMBRACE YOUR WEIRD.

Thanks, Felicia. I'll do my best. ( )
  wisemetis | Sep 16, 2022 |
I feel silly for not knowing this book existed until I got it for my birthday but it seemed the right time as I found it incredibly uplifting. I'm a geek and a gamer myself and I consistently find it hard to share who I really am. I've also been dealing with anxiety and depression [thanks medicines and my brain!] but maybe I'm not as weird as I thought... then again maybe I am? ( )
  kburne1 | Aug 13, 2022 |
Oh, look what I found on Edelweiss.

Edit: And now it's on NetGalley also! :)

MaraBlaise | Jul 23, 2022 |
This was an entertaining book and I enjoyed hearing the story of Felicia's life. While I did roll my eyes at some of her retellings because of the style at which she addressed areas of her life, overall it was really enjoyable. I particularly enjoyed hearing more about the making of The Guild and it was fun to go back and rewatch some of The Guild after reading it. ( )
  MBTC | Jul 9, 2022 |
Both fun and funny, relatable. ( )
  Malaraa | Apr 26, 2022 |
For anyone who has ever felt that they don't belong or who is looking to forge a career in online entertainment, this book is a must-read.

It’s a memoir of sorts, chronicling Day’s life from her homeschooled childhood to her violin-prodigy college years to trying, and eventually succeeding, at making it in Hollywood.
added by rakerman | editForbes.com, Paul Tassi (Aug 12, 2015)

Felicia Day's memoir You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost) starts off as a cute, snarky story about how a quirky upbringing turned Day into a nerd superhero; by the end, it's become an illuminating, frank look at the commercial realities, injustices and insecurities that everyone trying to earn a living online must confront.
added by rakerman | editBoing Boing, Cory Doctorow (Aug 11, 2015)

The last sliver of her memoir contains powerful stuff. If only she had dug as deep for the rest of the book, it might have been a real winner.

Day, Feliciaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Whedon, JossForewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For my mom, who is kooky and unique and taught me to be both these things and more. Even though my childhood wasn't "normal," she did her best to help me become who I am, and I love her for it.
I recently experienced the perfect summary of my career at a Build-A-Bear store inside a suburban mall in Lancaster, California.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 179,832,221 books! | Top bar: Always visible