The Shepherd's Crown

by Terry Pratchett

Other authors: Rob Wilkins (Afterword)

Series: Romans du Disque-Monde (tome 6), Discworld: Tiffany Aching (5), Discworld: Young Adult (6), Discworld (41)

1,793847,003 (4.21)1 / 103
A Shivering Of Worlds. Deep in the Chalk, something is stirring. The owls and the foxes can sense it, and Tiffany Aching feels it in her boots. An old enemy is gathering strength. This is a time of endings and beginnings, old friends and new, a blurring of edges and a shifting of power. Now Tiffany stands between the light and the dark, the good and the bad. As the fairy horde prepares for invasion, Tiffany must summon all the witches to stand with her. To protect the land. Her land. There will be a reckoning...The Final DiscWorld Novel.… (more)

English (81)  German (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (84)
A very fitting end to the Discworld series but I do NOT recommend reading Chapter 2 in public or anywhere there are not plenty of tissues available ( )
  Robertgreaves | May 1, 2021 |
The last one ( )
  Ranbato | Dec 17, 2020 |
Fun, lighthearted yet softly sad final book written by Terry Pratchett. ( )
  LoriFox | Oct 24, 2020 |

"The Shepherd's Crown" was the last novel Terry Pratchett completed before his death, except, he didn't really get the time to finish it. The whole story is there from end to end but the book fades as it goes along.

Reading it was like starting with a fully finished movie where the lighting, music, script, and acting have been edited into something richly textured and powerful and starting to be presented with the unedited rushes. Each scene is there but Terry Pratchett's usual magic, his ability to make the prose sing, to deliver huge ideas at a scale that gives them meaning to us mere mortals, his ability to make me believe in the supernatural and care about the people, isn't there.

I'm glad I read the book. I wouldn't have missed the start for anything. I cried when I lost Granny Weatherwax early in the book. It may seem extreme to cry over the death of a fictional character but I've known Granny Weatherwax for more than thirty years and Terry Pratchett made her death real to me. Of course, my tears weren't just for her. They were what happens when you fall through a trap door and are immersed in past grief that doesn't accept that it's past.

This ability to link Discworld to real-life experience has always been part of the power of Terry Pratchett's writing. He reminds us of our humanity, of our loves and our losses, of our bravery and our cowardice and he helps us accept ourselves and each other for what we are.

Yet as I got further through the book, I begin to feel the story losing its grip on my imagination. It's a good story but reading gave me an experience broadly equivalent to when you see actors doing a first read-through of a script, everything is there except it isn't living up to its potential.

Reading this almost-but-not-quite-finished book gave me pleasure but it also made me aware of just how much I miss Terry Pratchett.
1 vote MikeFinnFiction | Aug 8, 2020 |
Mind how you go, Granny Weatherwax... ( )
  stormnyk | Aug 6, 2020 |
...
But in The Shepherd's Crown, I've come to realize what it is about these books that makes them so special and endeared them so well to Pratchett's own heart: it's their compassion.
...
added by JerryMmm | editBoingBoing, Cory Doctorow (Nov 17, 2015)

But Shepherd's Crown is still recognizably Pratchett, from the giggle-fit-inducing footnotes to the stern moral message about selflessness, empathy and caring for others. And there's just as much of a moral stance in the way the book addresses the death of a longtime pillar of the Discworld: People around the Disc sense that something pivotal has happened. They stop to acknowledge the gravity of the moment. They pay their respects. And then they return to their lives.

Pratchett, with his sardonic inventiveness, social satire, play on language, deep feeling for landscape and love of what is best in human nature, had less critical praise than he deserved. His heroes and heroines are not royalty in disguise, but thieves, con-men, shepherds, soldiers and midwives. In his championing of the ordinary, the sensible and the slightly silly he went against the grain – and never more so than in creating Tiffany Aching.
added by melmore | editThe Guardian, Amanda Craig (Aug 30, 2015)

Above all, though, “The Shepherd’s Crown” — like all of Pratchett’s fiction — stresses the importance of helping others. Beyond this, I think that Pratchett’s farewell advice would be to follow his witches’ sensible principle: “Just do the work you find in front of you and enjoy yourself.”

Nothing in Pratchett stays still and his inventive energy, book after book after book, is astounding. Yet, as I say, the increasing complexity of the characters is accompanied by an increasing likableness as well as interest.
added by melmore | editThe Guardian, A. S. Byatt (Aug 26, 2015)

Pratchett, Terryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wilkins, RobAfterwordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Briggs, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidby, PaulIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robinson, TonyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tierney, JimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
For Esmerelda Weatherwax—mind how you go
It was born in the darkness of the Circle Sea; at first just a soft floating thing, washed back and forth by tide after tide.

Tiffany Aching
Defeats the elves, finds her place.
R.I.P. Pterry

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,853,260 books! | Top bar: Always visible