The Shepherd's Crown

by Terry Pratchett

Other authors: Rob Wilkins (Afterword)

Series: Discworld: Tiffany Aching (5), Discworld: Young Adult (6), Discworld (41)

2,058976,403 (4.19)1 / 105
A Shivering Of Worlds. Deep in the Chalk, something is stirring. The owls and the foxes can sense it, and Tiffany Aching feels it in her boots. An old enemy is gathering strength. This is a time of endings and beginnings, old friends and new, a blurring of edges and a shifting of power. Now Tiffany stands between the light and the dark, the good and the bad. As the fairy horde prepares for invasion, Tiffany must summon all the witches to stand with her. To protect the land. Her land. There will be a reckoning...The Final DiscWorld Novel.… (more)

English (94)  German (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (97)
Sad though I am to give Sir Pterry's last work such a low rating, it has to be done. It's lacking in humour, the characters are flat, and the plot is a stodgy re-hash of bits of the earlier Tiffany Aching books. ( )
  SChant | Jun 22, 2022 |
So here's the thing... I'm not going to rate this one mostly because I have mixed feelings about the book which are almost entirely due to the fact that it's not finished. I mean it has an ending, yes, but it wasn't up to the spit and polish that we expect from a Discworld novel.

But that's not the story's fault and it's not Sir Terry's fault it's just the way things are. So it doesn't feel fair to rate it. Would I be rating it or the entire works of Sir Terry or the Discworld series as a whole... I don't know.
  urbaer | Mar 5, 2022 |
Terry Pratchett's last book, The Shepherd's Crown, follows the adventures of Tiffany Aching, witch of the Chalk and a rising "not-leader" among the witches. It's fine, if a bit underdeveloped compared to the rest of Discworld. Pratchett wrote it in the final stages of early-onset Alzheimer's, and while it is a complete story in itself, it leaves so many ends hanging. Why didn't the elf-glamour affect Mrs. Earwig (pronounced ah-wij)? What is the true nature of You the cat? Why is Mephistopheles such a gifted goat and how do he and Geoffrey fare? And of course, what happens with Tiffany and Preston?

The afterword by Pratchett's editor acknowledges that all these ends were not so neatly tied up as usual and invites you as the reader to imagine the answers for yourself.

For me, the story of the writing overshadows the story of the story. Behind it all was a lively and intelligent person who was dying, who knew he was dying, and who was determined to give life to one more facet of his created world before he died. I found myself thinking what it must be like to write a novel in your last months of life. How that would filter into the story. There is optimism to the end, as the dethroned Queen of the Elves Nightshade is shown around the human world by Tiffany and told how humanity is improving, showing compassion, not warring as much, et cetera. I wish it were true.

Everything that can be said, about the tragedy of losing an author like Pratchett at such a relatively young age, has been said. For me, finally hunting up and reading his last book brought home what we lost. He can never be replaced. ( )
  atimco | Feb 5, 2022 |
Pratchett's final book and a wrap up of sorts to the Tiffany Aching sequence, as the mantle of head witch (of a sort) passes from Granny Weatherwax to Tiffany. It's predictable throughout with little doubt or sense of danger from the nasty invasion of the elves, but the story is fine, there's funny bits, and it's a gentle farewell from Pratchett written under challenging conditions.

Recommended. ( )
  ChrisRiesbeck | Dec 31, 2021 |
Im a bit conflicted on how to review this book because while I found some parts absolutely wonderful, the book as a whole was just ok. The part near the beginning of the book with Granny Weatherwax was really nice and Im glad we got that, and I do love Tiffany, but I wasnt as engaged with the story as I have been in the past. Im glad I read it, even if it didnt effect me emotionally in the way I was expecting. ( )
  mutantpudding | Dec 26, 2021 |
...
But in The Shepherd's Crown, I've come to realize what it is about these books that makes them so special and endeared them so well to Pratchett's own heart: it's their compassion.
...
added by JerryMmm | editBoingBoing, Cory Doctorow (Nov 17, 2015)

But Shepherd's Crown is still recognizably Pratchett, from the giggle-fit-inducing footnotes to the stern moral message about selflessness, empathy and caring for others. And there's just as much of a moral stance in the way the book addresses the death of a longtime pillar of the Discworld: People around the Disc sense that something pivotal has happened. They stop to acknowledge the gravity of the moment. They pay their respects. And then they return to their lives.

Pratchett, with his sardonic inventiveness, social satire, play on language, deep feeling for landscape and love of what is best in human nature, had less critical praise than he deserved. His heroes and heroines are not royalty in disguise, but thieves, con-men, shepherds, soldiers and midwives. In his championing of the ordinary, the sensible and the slightly silly he went against the grain – and never more so than in creating Tiffany Aching.
added by melmore | editThe Guardian, Amanda Craig (Aug 30, 2015)

Above all, though, “The Shepherd’s Crown” — like all of Pratchett’s fiction — stresses the importance of helping others. Beyond this, I think that Pratchett’s farewell advice would be to follow his witches’ sensible principle: “Just do the work you find in front of you and enjoy yourself.”

Nothing in Pratchett stays still and his inventive energy, book after book after book, is astounding. Yet, as I say, the increasing complexity of the characters is accompanied by an increasing likableness as well as interest.
added by melmore | editThe Guardian, A. S. Byatt (Aug 26, 2015)

Pratchett, Terryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wilkins, RobAfterwordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Briggs, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidby, PaulIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robinson, TonyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tierney, JimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
For Esmerelda Weatherwax—mind how you go
It was born in the darkness of the Circle Sea; at first just a soft floating thing, washed back and forth by tide after tide.

Tiffany Aching
Defeats the elves, finds her place.
R.I.P. Pterry

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,701,681 books! | Top bar: Always visible