dismiss

The Shepherd's Crown (Discworld Novels)…

The Shepherd's Crown (Discworld Novels) (edition 2016)

by Terry Pratchett (Author), Paul Kidby (Illustrator)

1,576767,781 (4.19)1 / 98
A Shivering Of Worlds. Deep in the Chalk, something is stirring. The owls and the foxes can sense it, and Tiffany Aching feels it in her boots. An old enemy is gathering strength. This is a time of endings and beginnings, old friends and new, a blurring of edges and a shifting of power. Now Tiffany stands between the light and the dark, the good and the bad. As the fairy horde prepares for invasion, Tiffany must summon all the witches to stand with her. To protect the land. Her land. There will be a reckoning...The Final DiscWorld Novel.… (more)
Member:stevepugh
Title:The Shepherd's Crown (Discworld Novels)
Authors:Terry Pratchett (Author)
Other authors:Paul Kidby (Illustrator)
Info:Corgi Childrens (2016), Edition: 01, 336 pages

The Shepherd's Crown by Terry Pratchett

Recently added byprivate library, MsKalita, bradleyhorner, elam11, p91, electrascaife, turmacar, TheTolkienist, ggoldby

English (73)  German (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (76)
If anyone has been reading this far in the series, they must be very, very sad that Sir Terry passed away, and this, his very last novel, is all we have left. I am sad. I am very sad. And after the first few chapters, I got even more sad, because he was writing his own requiem in these scenes.

It was scary and sad and so appropriate. And then it passed, to flow into Tiffany Aching's fifth, delightful, tale.

If you're familiar, you know she's no longer a witch's apprentice, she's a full witch and she's stepping up. And of course, adventure happens. Delightful adventure, and something that is a very familiar theme also happens, as it always happens in these Discworld books... People who don't belong in professions start showing up and demanding to do something that they shouldn't be fit to do.

A BOY WITCH? I mean, sure, a girl did it with the Wizards and that seemed to work out all right, but a BOY? No Way.

And then there's that whole thing with the elves facing off with an epic battle against the denizens of the land, with wee men and witches squaring off against the mean glamourists... but no one's interested in that, are they?

The BOY has a GOAT! And can you believe he's pretty decent on a broom? Lordy... what is Discworld coming to? A satisfying end? With a delightful sense of wonder and humor and nostalgia?

Why yes, it did come to that. *wipes a tear away from his face*

bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
Tiffany Aching, Witch of The Chalk, suddenly finds that she has some rather intimidating shoes to fill and more work than she is sure she can handle. And then the elves decide it's time to start raiding this world again...
This is the last of the Tiffany Aching books and the last Discworld book Pratchett wrote. Pratchett's battle with Alzheimer's is pretty clear here, on more than one level. The writing is a little punchy (had he lived longer, I suspect there would have been more editing) and the story isn't as nicely architected as usual. Too, you can see a writer who is standing close to the end of his life and looking back on what living means, which translates into a few nice moments of reflection, although I do think he gets a little heavy-handed with the message of being kind to one another (a perfectly wonderful and important message, but I don't want to be beaten over the head with, well, anything, really, but especially moral lessons). So I'm a bit torn about this one. For the most part I'm happy with how his ends tied up, but it's also not, by far, my favorite of the Discworld books, which, with this one finished, I am now completely through. ( )
  electrascaife | May 31, 2020 |
4 stars for: all the feels, quality of this book over its immediate Discworld predecessors (like Raising Steam). Lots of character cameos!

Loses points for: obviously parts weren't as fleshed out as Pterry would have liked them to be. The plot ends up not being as tense or feel as high stakes as when Magrat faced down the elves back in her day. Nightshade felt a little like a rehash of Lady LeJean/Unity, right down to the same sort of ending.

Also, though this makes a nice bookend to Equal Rites which introduced Granny (or at least, an early version of her), I kind of didn't like the male witch angle. Geoffrey shows up, is perfectly sweet and polite and is taken on as a trainee pretty quickly, and he's instantly excellent at witch duties and can even make his broomstick hover, which the other witches can't do. Oh, and because he's a "calm-weaver," he's good at settling down those bickering hens that are all the other witches. He also popularizes mancaves in Lancre, which isn't all that great of a concept (women as homemaker ruling the entire house, men consigned to a certain square footage for their interests), but it's not as those Pratchett invented the idea (he just didn't skewer it as I would have wanted).

I liked that Tiffany isn't settling into a Babies Ever After life, wanting to keep her job and following in Granny Aching's footsteps to live independently up on the Downs, though also not forswearing Preston or marriage or anything like that. ( )
  elam11 | May 30, 2020 |
Bittersweet ending to the Discworld series. I salute you Sir Terry ( )
  Mary_Beth_Robb | Feb 4, 2020 |
too be added ( )
  EdwinKort | Oct 18, 2019 |
...
But in The Shepherd's Crown, I've come to realize what it is about these books that makes them so special and endeared them so well to Pratchett's own heart: it's their compassion.
...
added by JerryMmm | editBoingBoing, Cory Doctorow (Nov 17, 2015)

But Shepherd's Crown is still recognizably Pratchett, from the giggle-fit-inducing footnotes to the stern moral message about selflessness, empathy and caring for others. And there's just as much of a moral stance in the way the book addresses the death of a longtime pillar of the Discworld: People around the Disc sense that something pivotal has happened. They stop to acknowledge the gravity of the moment. They pay their respects. And then they return to their lives.

Pratchett, with his sardonic inventiveness, social satire, play on language, deep feeling for landscape and love of what is best in human nature, had less critical praise than he deserved. His heroes and heroines are not royalty in disguise, but thieves, con-men, shepherds, soldiers and midwives. In his championing of the ordinary, the sensible and the slightly silly he went against the grain – and never more so than in creating Tiffany Aching.
added by melmore | editThe Guardian, Amanda Craig (Aug 30, 2015)

Above all, though, “The Shepherd’s Crown” — like all of Pratchett’s fiction — stresses the importance of helping others. Beyond this, I think that Pratchett’s farewell advice would be to follow his witches’ sensible principle: “Just do the work you find in front of you and enjoy yourself.”

Nothing in Pratchett stays still and his inventive energy, book after book after book, is astounding. Yet, as I say, the increasing complexity of the characters is accompanied by an increasing likableness as well as interest.
added by melmore | editThe Guardian, A. S. Byatt (Aug 26, 2015)

Pratchett, Terryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wilkins, RobAfterwordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Briggs, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidby, PaulIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robinson, TonyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tierney, JimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
For Esmerelda Weatherwax—mind how you go
It was born in the darkness of the Circle Sea; at first just a soft floating thing, washed back and forth by tide after tide.

Tiffany Aching
Defeats the elves, finds her place.
R.I.P. Pterry

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,682,448 books! | Top bar: Always visible