Rules for Reformers

by Douglas Wilson

In Rules for Reformers, Douglas Wilson poaches the political craft of radical progressives and applies it to Christian efforts in the current culture war. The result is a spicy blend of combat manual and cultural manifesto. Rules for Reformers is a little bit proclamation of grace, a little bit Art of War, and a little bit analysis of past embarrassments and current cowardice, all mixed together with a bunch of advanced knife-fighting techniques. As motivating as it is provocative, Rules for Reformers is just plain good to read.Thanks to Saul Alinsky's Rules for Radicals: A Practical Primer for Realistic Radicals -- a book well-beloved by Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, and many others -- for much of the shrewd advice, and for none of the worldview.… (more)

I believe this is the best thing I've read in a long time. Absolutely excellent! I listened to the audiobook version, and now I'm planning on going back through it with an eBook so I can highlight and take notes. If you have ever wanted to know what engaging with the culture from a Biblical stance looks like... then look no further than Rules for Reformers by Douglas Wilson. ( )
  jfranzone | Feb 14, 2024 |
Rules for Reformers is unlike anything I've read before. It's a principled take on cultural engagement and timeless wisdom for living the Christian life during perilous times.

Wilson has a keen eye for seeing things and stating them in a memorable way. Commenting on the apology on demand trend, Wilson writes, "Anyone who has not noticed that demands for apologies have become one of the central political and cultural tactics of our day has simply not been paying attention. Like many effective tactics, it depends on an impulse that was originally good and right. It is the old Pottery Barn rule-you break it, it's yours. everybody knows that. But in our hyper age, we have gotten to the point where old high school pranks can be hauled out in presidential campaigns. This is simply pathological...So a Christian must always distinguish those who want you to apologize so that the relationship can be restored, and those who do it to steer and manipulate you. There is a vast chasm between the two."

And another excellent quote: "The key battle in our culture wars is the reestablishment of worship that is pleasing to God. Our worship of Him must be weighty and substantive-but many churches have tried to turn their worship services into some kind of very light ministry meringue. Our worship services should renew our covenant with God in a solemn, joyful, and dignified way. We are commanded to worship Him wither reverence and godly awe (Heb. 12:28-29). Why don't we? Why do we refuse to do this? Our refusal is costing us far more than we think. Henry van Til once noted that culture is religion externalized. Cultus (worship) lies at the heart of every culture. And the reason our culture has forgotten God is because our worship services did that first." ( )
  joshcrouse3 | Sep 17, 2021 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,476,151 books! | Top bar: Always visible