The Green Ember

by S. D. Smith

Other authors: Zach Franzen (Illustrator)

Series: Green Ember (1)

"Heather and Picket are extraordinary rabbits with ordinary lives until calamitous events overtake them, spilling them into a cauldron of misadventures. They discover that their own story is bound up in the tumult threatening to overwhelm the wider world. Kings fall and kingdoms totter. Tyrants ascend and terrors threaten. Betrayal beckons, and loyalty is a broken road with peril around every bend. Where will Heather and Picket land? How will they make their stand?"--Back cover.… (more)

This is an adventure series targeted at middle grade readers. There is heroic fighting, evil enemies, a community safely hidden away from the evil enemies that supports the main characters in pursuing goodness and peace, warrior legends, a jewel that signifies kingship.....There are twists and turns in the plot that makes it hard to guess what's going to happen next. I find it interesting that the good characters hold their betrayed, fallen king in very high esteem, almost as if he were a saint or a god. Even the two main characters, who never met the king but only heard other characters talk his goodness, are passionately devoted to him to what I find to be an unreasonable degree. I also find it interesting that the community in hiding sees its mission as"proclaiming" that the enemies will be defeated and the wood will be "mended" (a.k.a. restored), even though evil sill dominates at the present time. This strongly parallels the Christian thinking "faith is the substance of things hoped for, the proof of things unseen." Drawing these parallels help me better understand the behaviors of the main characters. The author's strength is in the fighting sequence. They are exciting to read.
I don't think he's not as skilled at character development. It's hard for me to resonate with characters in the book. ( )
  CathyChou | Mar 11, 2022 |
Heather and Picket see their world crumble when the wolves attack. They have no other choice than follow the strangers who fight at their side and leave what was familiar behind. The slow pace of the book makes us feel the hardship of the path ahead. It makes sure that every character acts and earns their rightful and well deserved end. There are is easy and fast path to become a hero.

Treason, loss, bitterness, learning, acceptance, knowledge, passion... to restore the rightful heir.

What drove me to this book was the amazing cover. The illustrator made a great job with these series. Reminded me my favorite books by Brian Jacques. ( )
  Waleni | Oct 10, 2021 |
Had flashbacks to Watership Down/Redwall/Unfortunate Events series during the first 30 pages... may return to finish later. Mostly it's a case of misplaced expectations and a need for something a bit fluffier at the moment.
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
This story started so strong, but the middle was a mess of characters trelling each other how they weren't going to tell each other things. In the end it was false tension that didn't fit the narrative. The ending was decent, but felt rushed after all that waiting for nothing. ( )
  jamestomasino | Sep 11, 2021 |
Sometimes, I’m in the mood for a different kind of read. When I was looking through my Kindle a while ago, I spotted The Green Ember, and remembered that other people I follow online had mentioned that they enjoyed the story. So I decided to read it aloud to my siblings, even though fantasy is not generally the genre of choice around our house!

What a fun story! Different, too. I’m really glad that rabbits don’t go around carrying swords—that seems a tad dangerous to me! But in this book, it’s a fun twist to your otherwise “normal” story. I’m not big on talking animals, but Heather and Picket somehow managed to grab my heart anyway, and we get on well now.

Some parts tended to drag—I enjoyed the description of Cloud Mountain, but I didn’t understand why that was important to know when we were told about it. The adventure part felt like it was right at the start and then had some at the end with something of a slow middle (although I loved the description of Helmer and the task he’d set himself!), but overall, it wasn’t the most fast-paced story ever. In saying that, I think it would appeal to a variety of ages, as long as you don’t mind having some violence in the stories you read. I enjoyed the book, despite a few quibbles in its direction. A recommended story, if you or your children like the fantasy genre! ( )
  EstherFilbrun | Jan 21, 2021 |

S. D. Smithprimary authorall editionscalculated
Franzen, ZachIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 172,047,393 books! | Top bar: Always visible